JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tomorrow, January 25, the state House Judiciary Committee will hear an NRA-supported bill: House Bill 2471 would reform the background check requirements for firearm purchases by CPL holders. HB 2471 will be heard tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. in Hearing Room A of the John L. O’Brien Building in Olympia.

House Bill 2471, sponsored by seven state Representatives, would exempt CPL holders, whose licenses were issued on or after July 22, 2011, from having to undergo any sort of background check when purchasing a pistol. Additionally, this bill would require only the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) check for CPL holders whose permits were issued prior to July 22, 2011.

Please e-mail and call members of the House Judiciary Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support HB 2471. Also, please leave a short message for your state Representative on the toll-free legislative hotline at 1-800-562-6000, and request their support. To determine who your state Representative is, please click here. The contact information for the House Judiciary Committee has been provided for you below:

Representative Jamie Pedersen (D-43), Chair

(360) 786-7826

[email protected]

Representative Roger E. Goodman (D-45), Vice Chair

(360) 786-7878

[email protected]

Representative Bruce Chandler (R-15)

(360) 786-7960

[email protected]

Representative Deborah H. Eddy (D-48)

(360) 786-7848

[email protected]

Representative Drew Hansen (D-23)

(360) 786-7842

[email protected]

Representative Steve Kirby (D-29)

(360) 786-7996

[email protected]

Representative Brad Klippert (R-8)

(360) 786-7882

[email protected]

Representative Terry Nealey (R-16)

(360) 786-7828

[email protected]

Representative Tina Orwall (D-33)

(360) 786-7834

[email protected]

Representative Ann Rivers (R-18)

(360) 786-7850

[email protected]

Representative Mary Helen Roberts (D-21)

(360) 786-7950

[email protected]

Representative Jay Rodne (R-5)

(360) 786-7852

[email protected]

Representative Matt Shea (R-4)

(360) 786-7984

[email protected]

AHEM.. WHY is there a date for WHO gets this little bonus? My lady and I happen to have renewed ONE month before that.. what about "equal protection under the law" ???

I am sick of the ex post facto laws

AHEM.. WHY is there a date for WHO gets this little bonus? My lady and I happen to have renewed ONE month before that.. what about "equal protection under the law" ???

I am sick of the ex post facto laws

Because that's when the Feds approved the exemption. But it can't go into effect till the state changes it's laws, that's what this bill does. Nothing more.

So it's all or nothing? Personally, I'll take any incremental advance in CHL rights we can get and hope we can get less restrictive amendments passed in the future, but that's just me.

As far as this one is concerned? Yes. Looks like I'll be making phone calls for the next half an hour or so to voice my displeasure.

Am I reading it right that they want people who have conceal carry permits to NOT have to have a background check if it was issued after jul 22 2011.

exactly - sounds like a plus to me.. besides anyone who has an older CPL, would be 'in' next time they renew so I don't quite get why people would be 'up in arms' about this?

Well, this sucks.

This is great news and I don’t know why anyone would be upset about this advance in CPL status. The reason that WA permits issued prior to July 22nd, 2011 would not be exempt is because they were run thru NCIC system but not the NICS system for approval. Therefore NICS exemption status could not apply to permits issued earlier than that date. WA changed that in early July 2011 to come inline with Federal NICS guidelines so new permits after that date are now run thru a NICS check also so they can be NICS exempt if WA changes the law to allow it. That is what this bill does.

I have an AZ CCW permit also and it has the NICS exception and it makes purchases quick and easy. No erroneous delays responses so you can experience the joy of driving back to the gun store AGAIN to pick up your purchase. With NICS exemption you walk in, pick your firearm, present your ID, your CCW permit, fill out the 4473 form, give the man his money and go on your way with your purchase. No NICS phone call or delay responses. Your permit is valid, you are good to go, period.

For many of you this is not an issue, you have never had an extended NICS delay response or an erroneous denial. Many of us have. NICS is a delay first and ask questions later system (their words not mine). Name based system and you can even be delayed just because they are too busy to run your info OR it’s your random turn in the wheel of NICS for a delay. That is fact. I am one of those people that lives in a NICS purgatory due to a similar named guy that ended up with a dishonorable discharge from military service. I’ve never been in the military. I actually got denied a couple of years ago and that’s how I found out.

Just a few months ago I went to purchase a shotgun on sale at Big 5 here in Kent area, got delayed. Went to another Big 5 in Federal Way 3 days later to buy same shotgun, got delayed. Was going down to AZ that following weekend so I walked into a Big 5 in Phoenix and 15 mins later walked out with same shotgun that ended up on extended delays at both Big 5 in WA for over 30 DAYS. Both of them finally called and said they were still on NICS hold and I would have to come in and fill out a new 4473 if I still wanted the shotguns on NICS hold. More at a previous thread I started here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/71026-new-wa-ccw-permits-now-nics-exempt.html

Bottom line my friends is there is nothing but good in this taking place and I can’t wait for it to be law. It will still be months down the road but I look forward to this bills passage.

I will be canceling my current WA CPL and apply to get a new one when this law passes. My current permit is not up for renewal till 2015. I will gladly pay the $55.25 again to have the NICS exemption status CPL permit, GLADLY! Be safe! –G

Ps: I did apply for a NICS VAF UPIN number. It has been 85 days and counting and still no UPIN. Said they are backlogged in a response letter I got from them due to heavy demand. Won’t need the UPIN with NICS exempt permit.

I don't see what the nay sayers are going on about. For those of us with "old" permits, it is the same as it has always been. For those that get their CLP or get renewed after July 22, 11, it is the new system. It is not like the State can run new background checks on every CPL holder in the State. We have enough money problems as it is. Time will get you into the new system.

Sounds like it is all good to me. Without the new bill, no one gets to take advantage of the new system.

Ed

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top