JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey all...I have a handgun that I'd like to sell, but I'm curious about a few things.

1. Face to face sales: I've seen WTS posts saying FTF sales are preferred, so I'd assume FTF sales are legal, specifically in WA. What is required for a FTF sale? Is a CPL required for the buyer? What's required for the seller?

2. Out of State sales: I do know that I have to use an FFL if the firearm is sold to someone out of state. What's the process for this?

3. Pricing: I've seen WTS posts that haven't been real clear on the addition of shipping and/or the transfer fee. I'm not out to cheat anybody, and I want to make sure the total pricing is fair, but I also want to maximize my profit from the sale. What and/or how should price be listed for complete understanding?

Handgun XXX: $400
Shipping: $20 (should this be listed with the gun asking price?)
Transfer Fee: $25 (shipping only)
Total Price: $445

Like I said, I'm not looking to cheat anybody, and I want the pricing to be fair. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated....THANKS!!!

4. Regardless of the type of sale, FTF or shipping, what is required by the seller to keep everything legal?

Thanks in advance!!!!

FTF is completely legal, as long as you don't suspect the buyer is not a legal resident of you're state, a felon, or crazy.

No license is required at all.

Most would say the best way to sell is to have the buyer show you his drivers license so you can confirm they are a resident of you're state, and to have them sign a bill of sale that describes the gun, the date of sale, and that the buyer states that he is legally able to
purchase a gun.

As far as the info you place in an add what you posted above is fine, there is no rules regarding this.

To ship it to another state can be a real pain, especially if you never done it. I would highly suggest a face to face sale where you meet a Starbucks in the parking lot, sign the paper work, and accept cash only.

You should search out the laws in you're state and not take it from just random guys from the internet.

Good luck with you're sale.

Done many deals FTF, I prefer to see a DL, a CPL is nice but not all people have them.

Selling anything across state lines are legal if you send to a FFL, you personally can send a handgun or rifle through the mail to a FFL, if you buy out of state they need to send to a FFL in your state.

Most people are willing to pay for shipping if you are needing to ship, as far as FFL fees, its only on their end that they are needing to pay unless you send through an ffl here as well.

I recently sold a AR lower out of state, Buyer paid VIA paypal on my preference, he paid shipping, I called ahead to the FFL I was shipping to, to verify I was shipping it to them and to expect it as well as the name of the guy picking it up. Have no complaints and got none in return.

As far as required paperwork fees ect, there are none for FTF, its a private party sale and the government should not be aware of your every move(was told that by a LEO)

I would suggest having some paperwork for your own records but really no need if its not registered to you IMO.

ALSO what are you selling, someone here may be interested in a FTF deal with you.

1) A couple of the above posts have already covered FTF sales for the most part. I will add that cash is king, either that or USPS money order...cash is best IMO. Meet in a public area, be aware of your surroundings, you are after all selling a firearm. Take a friend with you if it makes you feel more secure. And the obvious, you should be armed.

2) IMO, the following are several good practices if you are selling out of state and shipping to a FFL.
Request payment via USPS money order, this is a safe and commonly accepted method of payment, some sellers are comfortable using discreet paypal although I have never used that method of payment for firearms.
Request a copy of the FFL's license from the buyer so you can verify the address and verify that the FFL has a current license. The buyer can get a copy of the FFL's license and fax or mail it to you or scan it and e-mail the document.
Verify that the FFL that you are shipping to accepts firearm shipments from a private party prior to shipping.
When a private party ships a firearm to a FFL business, send a copy of your drivers license or other legal identification with the firearm otherwise, the FFL may not (or will not) perform the transfer.

3) Be specific in your advertisement to the condition of the firearm, payment and shipping. I think it is fair to write in your advertisement the selling price and either say that shipping is extra or shipping is included. You could even say shipping is an additional $20 bucks or whatever you expect shipping will be. During the communication/negotiation process you might decide to include shipping to make the sale. Also if you say in the advertisement that shipping is extra and a buyer says "I'll take it", they know they will have to pay extra for shipping. No surprises or the buyer has a valid reason to back out of the sale.

4) Keep whatever records you might think you need. With FTF transactions, some people have the buyer sign a record of sale agreement, others shake hands and the deal is done.

You can require whatever you want. Different people believe different things. Some people believe in making certain, to the limits of their ability, that the letter of the law is met.

Some people believe a CPL is proof of character. Some people believe that CPLs don't mean anything. Some people accept driver's licenses as proof of residence. Some people believe driver's licenses don't mean anything, since anyone can get one.

Some people believe that anyone has the right to own a weapon, and will sell to anyone. Some people believe they are somehow responsible for what someone else does with a weapon after the sale, and try to predict who they should sell to, and who they shouldn't. Some people use appearance, race, hair style, piercings, clothes, language or smoking as indications of character, and won't sell a weapon to people they find offensive. Other people believe that even convicted felons, once released, have a right to own a weapon, and will, accordingly, sell to anyone.

Some people believe that once a person buys a weapon, that person is responsible for what happens with it.

Some people require that the buyer be an adult, and they have different methods of determining that.

You can require whatever you wish. You can require that the buyer prove that he or she is a gay baptist republican who is registered to vote in three separate counties.

The more you require, the fewer people you can sell to.

You aren't required to require anything, depending on what you know, or on what you don't know.

I require cash. The weapon I'm selling is never the only weapon at the sale.

Have fun.

You don't need toto ship to a FFL if it is manufactured before 1899 or if it is a precussion, flint lock, or match lock, and weapons designed to be used with black powder. These are all exempt from the statute.

thisIsJustHereToAnnoyYouByHavingYouWasteYourTimeReadingThis.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads