JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday. It is my first shotgun. The gun shop had the security/field combo barrel version. I do most of my pistol practicing at a pit near my home, but also go to the range occasionally when I'm down in Tacoma.

When you practice with your shotgun at a pit, do you just use the same targets you use for pistol shooting? I have a target sheet with 6 small targets on it. I feel like it might not be ideal for my shotgun. What is the best way to practice without going to a clay pigeon place. Secondly, I only have 1 friend who is into shooting, and he's far away from me, so will I have issues going to a clay pigeon place by myself? I think there's one by me in Sequim.

I'm a complete newbie with anything other than a pistol, so please be easy on me! Thanks!!!

Well, when I got my first shot gun a year or so ago, I took it to the range and set up a piece of wood. It was a bout 2' high and 6-7 inches across. Set it out about 30 feet. I think I finally hit it on my 5th shot. I hated it. I sold it. I'm happy now. YMMV.
Good Luck!

I use 8in steel plates for shotgun practice. I have two I place at different distances so I can practice target acquisition and transitions. You can pick them up online for about $30 each. You will need a stand too, but you can either build one on the cheap or buy one for not too much more.

Well, when I got my first shot gun a year or so ago, I took it to the range and set up a piece of wood. It was a bout 2' high and 6-7 inches across. Set it out about 30 feet. I think I finally hit it on my 5th shot. I hated it. I sold it. I'm happy now. YMMV.
Good Luck!
I don't expect my shoulder will want me to do 50-100 rd sessions like I do with my pistol. I was surprised there is only a single bead on the security barrel.

As your first shotty, go to the pit and get a feel for the firearm. Try out different loads game/target/buckshot/slug. Try it with the different barrels (18.5"vs28"). Get feel for the pump action. At this point, any target (clays, cardboard sheet, etc) will work, but try a patterning board/poster board to see how your particular firearm patterns.

When you are comfortable with manipulating the firearm, maybe try out some clays at a range (trap or sporting clays). If you are thinking defense, get some dummy rounds to practice cycling and reloading.

I use 8in steel plates for shotgun practice. I have two I place at different distances so I can practice target acquisition and transitions. You can pick them up online for about $30 each. You will need a stand too, but you can either build one on the cheap or buy one for not too much more.
That sounds more cost effective than buying boxes of clay pigeons. Thanks for the suggestion.

I like these guys. The targets are not as "polished" as some of the more expensive ones available, but they work well and seem to hold up. Also, you are just going to blast them, so who cares how "finished" they are.

I also like the hangers they have because they are easy to transport. and set up in the woods. Just take a little 5lb sledge with you.

The 3/8" AR500 targets hold up great for Pistol rounds as well, but I use the 1/2" AR500 because they will handle rifle at 50 yards without too much wear.

My setup is two of the hangers and two of the 1/2" AR500 8" gongs and I am set for a day in the woods with all my guns.

Free shipping too!
No affiliation, just like the products.
Communication is not great, and delivery may take a week or two, but I always get what I order.

If you're using it for home defense, consider getting cardboard silhouette targets. Nobody's ever been attacked by a orange disc or a bullseye. The silhouette will help you get used to aiming for center of mass on a man-shaped target, and the size will help you test how your shotgun patterns at different distances.

As mentioned above, definitely try different loads and see how the pattern changes - uncoated lead shot may deform slightly in flight, which can alter your spread, whereas shot coated with copper doesn't have that problem.

Also as mentioned above, once you're comfortable handling the shotgun practice reloading. It's a very easy thing to fumble, so building that muscle memory is critical. One good drill for this is fire 2, load 2, fire 2:

- Start with 1 round in the chamber and 1 in the tube, with 2 spare rounds either on the gun in a holder or in a pocket.
- Fire both shots, leaving the pump rearward on the last shot so the chamber is open.
- Drop one spare round through the ejection port onto the shell guide, and return the pump forward so the shell goes into the chamber.
- Shove the other spare into the magazine tube as normal.
- Fire the remaining 2 shots, leaving the chamber open after the last round.

Time yourself and see how long it takes you to complete the drill. This can be done with either snap caps or live fire, so you can practice at home.

Finally, consider getting a shell carrier for your shotgun. Carrying spare ammo in your pocket sucks - it takes more time to reload them, and where you keep them will be determined by what clothes you happen to be wearing, making training consistently a challenge. The cheap route is an elastic sleeve on the stock of the shotgun - I have those on mine, and they work great. Might wear out over time, but they're cheap enough to replace if/when that happens.

If your receiver is drilled and tapped you can get one of those picatinny rails with the integrated shell holder that hangs down on the side of the receiver. If you go that route, make sure you loctite the screws during install so it doesn't shake loose during firing. They make adhesive-backed velcro / elastic shell holders that you can stick to the side of the gun, but I have never tried them and don't know if they work well. Seems janky to me, and have to assume when the gun heats up from firing it might lose adhesion.

Hope this helps, good luck and happy shooting!

Some things to consider here , since you said this is your first shotgun....

Your eye is the rear sight...so make sure you consistently use the same stock to cheek placement...
Or you will miss...as your shots will go high , low left or right.

A single bead and just your eye as the rear sight...is a good , fast way to shoot with a shotgun...
Others will no doubt disagree....but for me...it works very well.

I find that for me....its best when using a shotgun with a bead sight to :
Not see / notice any of the the barrel....just have the bead placed where I want the shot to go.
The bead , by the way , again for me at least , is almost just a blur...as I find that it is best to focus on where I want to hit on the target.
The above is for shooting at stationary targets...wing shooting is similar...but requires a bit more practice.

Also worthy of note is your shooting stance...even a slight change in how you are standing , can lead to a miss.
Find a good , solid , comfortable stance that you can make hits with...and stick to it.
Andy

Some things to consider here , since you said this is your first shotgun....

Your eye is the rear sight...so make sure you consistently use the same stock to cheek placement...
Or you will miss...as your shots will go high , low left or right.

A single bead and just your eye as the rear sight...is a good , fast way to shoot with a shotgun...
Others will no doubt disagree....but for me...it works very well.

I find that for me....its best when using a shotgun with a bead sight to :
Not see / notice any of the the barrel....just have the bead placed where I want the shot to go.
The bead , by the way , again for me at least , is almost just a blur...as I find that it is best to focus on where I want to hit on the target.
The above is for shooting at stationary targets...wing shooting is similar...but requires a bit more practice.

Also worthy of note is your shooting stance...even a slight change in how you are standing , can lead to a miss.
Find a good , solid , comfortable stance that you can make hits with...and stick to it.
Andy
Thanks for the tips!

While it is true that no one has been attacked by a clay bird....
If you can hit a clay bird...or after you hit it once...shoot again and hit the clay bird bits...it goes to show that you can hit something bigger....:D
Shooting at clay birds is good practice...and if they are the biodegradable kind...even better.
Andy

Thanks for your detailed response! Does having a picatinny rail interfere with looking at the bead sights?
That's a good point, one I forgot to mention, so thanks for the reminder. Yes, it would interfere with the stock bead sight. I got it knowing that I would be putting a red dot on mine. Since you're just getting started I would stick with the elastic stock shell holder for now and wait to do any major mods until you're more comfortable and familiar with the shotgun. If you're really sold on the idea you'll need to replace the front bead with a taller sight or go with a red dot.

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

While it is true that no one has been attacked by a clay bird....
If you can hit a clay bird...or after you hit it once...shoot again and hit the clay bird bits...it goes to show that you can hit something bigger....:D
Shooting at clay birds is good practice...and if they are the biodegradable kind...even better.
Andy
I completely agree, there's plenty of value in shooting clay, and it's a lot of fun. Just be sure to toss in some man-shaped targets as well so you get used to aiming center of mass.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top