JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
images.jpeg-95.jpg

Don't forget about dry fire. Be safe.

And I prefer the lightest snap caps I can find, as they don't eject with excess force.

I completely agree, there's plenty of value in shooting clay, and it's a lot of fun. Just be sure to toss in some man-shaped targets as well so you get used to aiming center of mass.
It's not too difficult to hit center mass with a shotgun shot...At most defensive distances.
That said...practice is always good.

However...when shooting when it's "for real ", so to speak...
You may not be offered a center mass shot / target.
So...
Again...if you can hit a clay bird or a clay bird bit....you can hit something bigger that is causing you problems or is a threat.

Now please don't read into what I am saying here.

If you want to shoot at man -shaped targets...go right on ahead .
Nothing wrong with that...for you.
I have shot at men and hit them as well...real live men...so shooting at man shaped targets...isn't something that I enjoy.
Notice..that I am not saying that no one should...just that I don't want to.
Andy

It's not too difficult to hit center mass with a shotgun shot...At most defensive distances.
That said...practice is always good.

However...when shooting when it's "for real ", so to speak...
You may not be offered a center mass shot / target.
So...
Again...if you can hit a clay bird or a clay bird bit....you can hit something bigger that is causing you problems or is a threat.

Now please don't read into what I am saying here.

If you want to shoot at man -shaped targets...go right on ahead .
Nothing wrong with that...for you.
I have shot at men and hit them as well...real live men...so shooting at man shaped targets...isn't something that I enjoy.
Notice..that I am not saying that no one should...just that I don't want to.
Andy
Fair points and good reasoning. I have been fortunate to not have that experience, and hope to keep it that way. Thanks for sharing, and for your service.

I bought the Mossberg 500 field/security combo two and 1/2 years ago, just before 'you know what' hit. You definitely want to "function fire" the shotgun to get used to the manual of arms ... the operation of the shotgun. You want to get somewhat familiar with the blast and recoil. Mine is a 12 gage. The recoil with the 18.5 " barrel is impressive. You also want to pattern your shotgun with various field or defense loads to see what is a good match. My old Stevens pumpgun shot the basic Remington 00 buck pretty well so I have plenty on board. The newer Mossberg would not shoot the Remington worth a darn, so I had to experiment with various loads until I found one.

I bought the Mossberg 500 field/security combo two and 1/2 years ago, just before 'you know what' hit. You definitely want to "function fire" the shotgun to get used to the manual of arms ... the operation of the shotgun. You want to get somewhat familiar with the blast and recoil. Mine is a 12 gage. The recoil with the 18.5 " barrel is impressive. You also want to pattern your shotgun with various field or defense loads to see what is a good match. My old Stevens pumpgun shot the basic Remington 00 buck pretty well so I have plenty on board. The newer Mossberg would not shoot the Remington worth a darn, so I had to experiment with various loads until I found one.
I'm almost exclusively 20ga now. It's less punishing on shoulder.

20 gauge is my favorite as well.

In regards to less punishing...yes....as general rule.
I do have a very light weight single shot 20 gauge that can take a 3 inch cartridge...but...
I not willing to try it with one....:D
It does work well as a light weight grouse gun.
Andy

20 gauge is my favorite as well.

In regards to less punishing...yes....as general rule.
I do have a very light weight single shot 20 gauge that can take a 3 inch cartridge...but...
I not willing to try it with one....:D
It does work well as a light weight grouse gun.
Andy
There are a lot of grouse near me. That's one reason for getting this.

You could get something like this: https://www.championtarget.com/firearm-accessories/shotgun-sights/easyhit-shotgun-sight/283.html

I have one on a Winchester SX3 (with magazine extension) that I use for HD, another on an SX2 that I use for hunting (one of my favorite shotguns), and one on my little .410 Ringneck side-by-side.

It's kind of like an RDS for your shotgun. Keep both eyes open, put dot on target, pull trigger. Needs ambient light since it's just a fiber optic sight, but it still seems to work fairly well in low-ish light.

Hit any range post a USPSA comp. You can pick up plenty of used cardboard "Torso" targets for "Free-99". Yes full of patched 9mm holes and the last round unpatched. However your 12g hits will stand out easily….

It's these.
ipsc-cb-l-2019.jpg

As far as practicing with shotguns go. Keep it realistic. Practical defensive distances with a shotgun are the longest stretches of your abode.

Once you get a feel for the recoil impulse, and how to stand/hold it effectively to mitigate it - the rest is all handling manipulation that can be done without even shooting. Something that might be important with ammo prices.

There's a lot of great information on youtube as far as training goes, there's also a lot of garbage, so sift accordingly.

Beyond simply owning the gun and knowing how to aim, shoot, is how to move / use cover and concealment.

For my pump shotguns I try to buy low recoil 9 pellet 00 buckshot. For practice I still buy 9 pellet 00 buck shot but is is somewhat cheaper like Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot instead.

You can also buy a LimbSaver or some other softer recoil pad. My Maverick 88 had a hard piece of rubber or something so the LimbSaver was a lot softer.

You can buy human shaped targets from places like target barn or Amazon. Also buy some colored stick ons so you can use the target multiple times before throwing it away.

For my pump shotguns I try to buy low recoil 9 pellet 00 buckshot. For practice I still buy 9 pellet 00 buck shot but is is somewhat cheaper like Rio Royal 9 pellet 00 buckshot instead.

You can also buy a LimbSaver or some other softer recoil pad. My Maverick 88 had a hard piece of rubber or something so the LimbSaver was a lot softer.

You can buy human shaped targets from places like target barn or Amazon. Also buy some colored stick ons so you can use the target multiple times before throwing it away.
Masking tape is WAY cheaper than colored stick ons. Also you can slap a piece of mail that was free on some cardboard.. Buying targets for shotgun work is silly.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top