JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which caliber?

• .357 Mag

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • .44 Mag

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • .45 LC

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
Two of the guns on my bucket list are a lever action rifle and revolver chambered for the same cartridge. If you were going to pick up a combo like this to be used as general purpose firearms, which caliber would you pick and why?

The .357 is plenty, it's cheaper and the revolvers can be smaller/lighter. No drawbacks, just smaller benefits if raw power is the goal

A hot .357 mag out of a 20in barrel is nothing to scoff at. Ammo is easier to find and cheaper than other options. Selection of revolvers in .357 beats any other caliber as well.

hqdefault-19.jpg Magnum-Research-BFR-Revolver-with-cylinder-removed-note-how-massive-it-is-1.jpg

Voted for " other "

None of the above.

If I'm lugging a rifle around, I want it in a proper rifle chambering.

Handguns are compromises when you don't or can't have a rifle on you.

However, if you held a .45-70 to my head and made me pick, I'd go .41 Magnum.

Something else to consider - maybe others have had different experiences.

When I had a 44 Magnum lever action (Marlin 1894) It liked different loads than my S&W 29 and 629. I never shot the same things through all 3 guns, which made me rethink the 1894, eventually selling it. If I have to carry 2 different loads anyway, why not optimize the platforms?

I shoot SASS. So your question was an easy one for me.

I use a combo of two Ruger vaqueros and a Marlin 1894 and of course an 1897 Winchester SG. The revolvers and lever gun, are chambered in the .357 Mag cartridge. While the SG is a 12 ga.

Vaqueros
1715665064992.png

Marlin 1894 Carbine
1715665333345.png

Winchester 1897
1715665183932.png

Aloha, Mark

What I want I can't have Rugar Blackhawk in .30 Carbine
What I can't have is the Winchester model 92/94 16" barrel full magazine cause no one has ever made one.

I have a load that would work well in both using a Sierra 125gr FPHP.

Never been a wheel gun guy but, one I MISS is a Mod29. If I was going to have a rifle wheel gun combo the .44 would be my top choice due to of course rolling my own ammo. You can make loads that are soft and fun, all the way up to full power for both.

Two of the guns on my bucket list are a lever action rifle and revolver chambered for the same cartridge. If you were going to pick up a combo like this to be used as general purpose firearms, which caliber would you pick and why?
.22lr and don't look back.. because pillar of salt and or everyone is laughing.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top