JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the items on my bucket list, is to get an off road camper trailer , start off on a journey to see America for a year or so, would it be a PIA to take a suppressed weapon with me? Too much of a hassle, due to having to report to the ATF everytime I crossed a state line? Anyone done this ?

IMG_6216.jpeg

One of the items on my bucket list, is to get an off road camper trailer , start off on a journey to see America for a year or so, would it be a PIA to take a suppressed weapon with me? Too much of a hassle, due to having to report to the ATF everytime I crossed a state line? Anyone done this ?
There is no paperwork requirement for traveling with a silencer. Ditto AOWs. Other NFA regulated items require the filing of a 5320.20. It is a nothing burger.

It depends which states you would be traveling to. Some states don't alllow possession of suppressors even with an approved stamp. Other states do not allow importing many types of guns which could accept suppressors.

It depends which states you would be traveling to. Some states don't alllow possession of suppressors even with an approved stamp. Other states do not allow importing many types of guns which could accept suppressors.
Indeed. Just because one could travel through a non-free state with such, doesn't mean one can use it there.

Last Edited:
The wait definitely sucks, but it is in theory getting shorter and shorter. We definitely aren't at the 90 days the ATF says they are running at though.

Sure, they wear but expected life of even a 3D printed suppressor is 20k + rounds. Huxwrx has stated that they can rebuild their cans should anything ever be damaged or worn out. This is why they placed the serial number where they did, so that new paperwork is not necessary in the case of a rebuild.

Well, they are wrong. It's common practice to fill out a 4473 upon pickup of the suppressor after getting ATF approval, but it's not supposed to be submitted. The ATF already gave the go ahead.
^^^^^ Correct. The 4473 at pickup is just a form to show that the NFA item was transferred to the proper person. Essentially the FBI already did the background check for them

A Form 4473 is a disposition record; there are a small number of scenarios in which a dealer would not perform a BCG when that form is completed. The NFA process is one such and it says so right on the form. Alas, some states, like Oregon, has a law that requires another BGC run. This complete waste of time is on the buyer's dime, of course. (sigh)

A Form 4473 is a disposition record; there are a small number of scenarios in which a dealer would not perform a BCG when that form is completed. The NFA process is one such and it says so right on the form. Alas, some states, like Oregon, has a law that requires another BGC run. This complete waste of time is on the buyer's dime, of course. (sigh)
Interesting, I've only been through the process once. But that once, when the tax stamp came back, the FFL deliver the suppressor without any additional background check.

Isn't that what line 28 is supposed to be for?

How many have had to do the additional Oregon nics for a suppressor? Some say you have to. Some say you don't if the FFL can read and fill out the 4473 correctly. So which is it?

As you're in Oregon, it's up for debate if 114 will impact suppressor sales with the permit to purchase. I'd wait and see what shakes out. To answer your question, my suppressed VQ always puts a smile on my face. My suppressed 92G is almost as much fun.

With the recent SCOTUS and 9th Circuit ruling (9/22/23), 114 is effectively dead legally. the 9th Circuit just ruled California's 10round magazine limit is unconstitutional.

"In 2022, the United States Supreme Court granted certiorari, vacated the appellate en banc decision, and remanded the case.6 The court of appeals, in turn, remanded the case to this Court "for further proceedings consistent with New York State Rifle & Pistol bubblegum'n, Inc. v. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. 2111 (2022)."7 All relevant findings of fact and conclusions of law set forth in the prior decision concluding § 32310 is unconstitutional are incorporated herein"
https://saf.org/.../2023/09/Duncan-v.-Bonta-Decision.pdf

How many have had to do the additional Oregon nics for a suppressor? Some say you have to. Some say you don't if the FFL can read and fill out the 4473 correctly. So which is it?
You dont have to do anything with Oregon For NICS... Some dealers will still have you fill out a 4473 just to cover their rears in case you got in legal trouble since you applied for your supressor, but those are more for their files than for NICS checks.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty much with RVTECH on this one. I have nothing against them or the people who own them, but they just don't do anything for me. That's fine; everyone likes different things. Different strokes, and all that.

It's a little like asking if golf clubs are worth it. Sure, if you like to golf. Personally I don't golf. It's not my game; I get nothing out of it, so golf clubs would be wasted on me. I doubt I'd own a suppressor if they were $50 over the counter at Walmart. The only shooting I do is at the range, with very good hearing protection. I wouldn't care for the extra hassle, or the bulk and weight of something hanging off the end of the barrel.

I know a lot of guys have practical uses for them, and their interests go beyond the "cool" factor, but I do think a lot of folks are just intrigued by the uber-tactical aspect. And nothing wrong with that, by the way, if that's what you like! It's just not for me.
Ranchers and Kill Trucks use them specifically so you dont spook the heard when you are trying to put down Sheep/Cows/Bison/etc for slaughter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top