JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this old thread:

What is the answer? Awful Saturday morning on the phone with Xfinity. Every year I have to call to get the same plan otherwise they increase monthly rates.

Hey free unlimited data for everyone. Seriously every year I have to call because my rates go up? Then get a headache after 30m then get transferred to a loyalty line that can offer better rates!

Is is possible for everyone to have unlimited data?

Can you imagine what upper level people have with tech? Ah I'm out in the woods 120 miles from town. Let's order sushi before we get back to town Miss CEO. Meanwhile Verizon has no reception for hours in parts of Oregon.

Canceled my cable with them long ago because of that nonsense.

And they really try to convince you to keep service when you cancel. I got every offer imaginable when I went to turn in the cable box. Then they wanted to know why and where I was moving.. I told them the ever increasing up charges and the tricks with "free HD" only to be charged later and have to settle it over the phone again and again were too obnoxious to maintain service.

I only have internet and streaming now.
Luckily those don't fluctuate for me anymore.

I have a problem with Verizon. I am not able to change my service plan or drop damage protection on an old phone, even though I am signed in as "owner" and supposed to have full access. They have no way for me to talk to a human, and the automated contact system just drags out for days without resolving anything.

But they do let me access purchasing a new phone or upgrading service!

I have a problem with Verizon. I am not able to change my service plan or drop damage protection on an old phone, even though I am signed in as "owner" and supposed to have full access. They have no way for me to talk to a human, and the automated contact system just drags out for days without resolving anything.

Verizon owns Yahoo News. Check their content!
Why I cancelled.

Have been with Verizon forever, got new phones a year ago so our plan went from $107 to $193.
They bumped it to $206 on this last bill. EFF them, I will run a flip phone before I sign with them again.

We did get Comcast down to $55 for internet about a year ago, after "Covid" raises up to $142 for basic cable and Internet.

I got tired of cable/internet $$ seven years ago. I only use a now seven year old phone. Same battery which still works perfectly and I've used it pretty much all day every day. Right now I have three tabs open, watching a Prime series, youtube and nwfa.. I toggle between them and whatnot.
It's hdmi dongled to my old arse vizio big-screen, a wireless keyboard and mouse.
$50 a month unlimited and I can use it wherever I go since it's a phone also of course.
Anyway, that's what I chose to do.
Oh, edit to add, I only have it hooked up like the above probably 10-15 hrs/week, using it as a regular hand-held device for the balance of the time.

Last Edited:
I got tired of cable/internet $$ seven years ago. I only use a now seven year old phone. Same battery which still works perfectly and I've used it pretty much all day every day. Right now I have three tabs open, watching a Prime series, youtube and nwfa.. I toggle between them and whatnot.
It's hdmi dongled to my old arse vizio big-screen, a wireless keyboard and mouse.
$50 a month unlimited and I can use it wherever I go since it's a phone also of course.
Anyway, that's what I chose to do.
Oh, edit to add, I only have it hooked up like the above probably 10-15 hrs/week, using it as a regular hand-held device for the balance of the time.
I thought of the hotspot years ago like why am I paying for 2 data sources. So unlimited data hotspot? Starlink? I need video conferencing. And to your your comment my phone was better 15y ago except for the camera.

What IS the main "go to" and typical costs for internet these days? What about frequent travelers?

It's been years since I really paid attention or kept up with what's what these days.

The last 7-9yrs or so (I forget) I've just been using a hotspot device for homewide wifi and while travelling. $20/month that will never change, so long as I keep the plan active, for stand alone unlimited high speed cellular internet (ATT). I don't have a phone plan with anyone and it isn't required to bundle for the internet plan. Phone.I only use a yearly prepaid, but don't use it for data. Any phone internet access I just connect to my portable wifi device/router.

I don't own or watch any TV and don't pay for any streaming services except what comes bundled with amazon prime membership.

The only drawback is while travelling there are some areas that don't get any cell signal, but I do run a weBoost in the truck/RV and as a backup.. wifiRanger gear to pull in/transmit to wifi hotspots at extended ranges. I find I usually have a signal where most people have none, but when you pull off up into the sticks there are still a lot of dead zones. That said... I kind of like dead zones where I have a valid excuse not to respond to any texts or message. :D

Any newer/better options these days worth considering?

Last Edited:
What IS the main "go to" and typical costs for internet these days? What about frequent travelers?

It's been years since I really paid attention or kept up with what's what these days.

The last 7-9yrs or so (I forget) I've just been using a hotspot device for homewide wifi and while travelling. $20/month that will never change, so long as I keep the plan active, for stand alone unlimited high speed cellular internet (ATT). I don't have a phone plan with anyone and it isn't required to bundle for the internet plan. Phone.I only use a yearly prepaid, but don't use it for data. Any phone internet access I just connect to my portable wifi device/router.

I don't own or watch any TV and don't pay for any streaming services except what comes bundled with amazon prime membership.

The only drawback is while travelling there are some areas that don't get any cell signal, but I do run a weBoost in the truck/RV and as a backup.. wifiRanger gear to pull in/transmit to wifi hotspots at extended ranges. I find I usually have a signal where most people have none, but when you pull off up into the sticks there are still a lot of dead zones. That said... I kind of like dead zones where I have a valid excuse not to respond to any texts or message. :D

Any newer/better options these days worth considering?
MASSIVE... So you have hotspot and an antenna/booster. Facetime or virtual meeting go ok? Off grid is progressing alot.

Appreciate the help. Need to get out of the noise of the city.

Ditched Verizon and went to Tmobile on my wife's plan. Chose to ditch Comcast too and went with Tmobile hotspot when Comcast told us we couldn't get their service in Monmouth :rolleyes: (yet Dallas does...) have been satisfied with the hotspot wifi system, and after getting the phones paid off, may consider getting a Tmobile car hotspot wifi antenna system but unsure if its really worth it versus getting a couple of headrest dvd players for the kids :rolleyes: the thing that I'm unsure of; is the fact we get deadzones on the highways particularly in the coastal and cascades mountain ranges. The idea is to keep kids entertained in their seats while on long drives. The deadzone thing is why I'm looking harder at headrest dvd screens and kids tablets versus hotspots.

Wifey has been using "Page Plus Cellular" for many years. $29.99/Mo for unlimited. They run on Verizon towers so coverage is the same as Verizon. We used to do Verizon.

MASSIVE... So you have hotspot and an antenna/booster. Facetime or virtual meeting go ok? Off grid is progressing alot.

Appreciate the help. Need to get out of the noise of the city.

Yup. The weBoost is a signal booster and repeater I use with an omnidirection wilson trucker type antenna. Or in some locations... I hook up a flat panel directional.

I don't know about facetime. I've never done that, but like the zoom meeting app I've used to watch court hearings without any issue. That was just watching though and not transmitting my own video or audio signal. I can't say for sure how well it might work for you in that case and "out in the fringes" type areas.

The wifiRanger uses a separate antenna on an extendable pole on the RV.

Both weBoost and wifiRanger has been around for quite awhile. I know other companies have come into the off grid market with similar products, but at the time... they were pretty much the leaders in the field. I believe wifiRanger was bought out by Winegard... which is a long standing company for RV'ers, but mainly in the satellite arena. Absorbing wifiRanger opened them up to support wifi and cellular.

In my case. The gear works as good as it ever did so... "if it ain't broke..." KWIM?

This couple has one of the best sources for mobile communications, IMHO. They are living the boondocker RV life and are continuously real world testing pretty much every system on the market.

Hotspots... I use a netgear nighthawk MR1100 router in the home, truck and RV... and netgear unite explore 815S as a pocket hotspot when out on foot.. hiking, camping or whatnot. The nighhawk is faster, has a stronger signal, supports more devices and auto re-connects as needed quickly and almost seamlessly. The explore is waterproof, drop resistant and a longer battery life. Perfect for outdoor activities.

Last Edited:
"Before investing in equipment to help you improve a public Wi-Fi connection, ensure you understand the challenges and limitations of using one. If the speed or capacity of the public connection isn't good to begin with, no amount of fancy equipment will make it better."

So i find these amazing places I can't work from.

Dream to get a little land camp there and make a home and try and work on the computer. So dang hard.

Shoots ya all going back to dvd and cds! Higher quality. Thats old school Rad.
Never abandoned cds, cassettes, records :D dvds are the thing I like. Wife likes blu-rays but I ain't spending the extra coin just to get SD on a 10" screen :s0140: my bro I think still has an ancient portable DVD player and screen, one of those sorta flip up displays with a 12v cord

"Before investing in equipment to help you improve a public Wi-Fi connection, ensure you understand the challenges and limitations of using one. If the speed or capacity of the public connection isn't good to begin with, no amount of fancy equipment will make it better."
This is true. A device capable of signal aggregation can be of great benefit.. if multiple hotspots are within range. Basically... using multiple hotspot signals and/or bands simultaneously to improve overall bandwidth.

Remembering too though that when your end device is running wirelessly, the data is being transmitted and received twice, which is going to degrade your connection speed. In areas with poor signal strength/bandwidth, an ethernet connection to your router can help minimize the issue.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews