JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i've both... but am more a fan of the 91/30. i've got what looks to be a barely used '30s Finn and a '42 Russian. both are great. the 44 sitting here is ok, but the quality is kinda crap.

think i'm using the russian as my main hunting rifle this year. i like it that much. that thing is dead accurate and as reliable as anything.

can you expand on why the M44 is crap? I had people earlier telling me the Chinese Type 53's quality is crap, and that's just a chinese version of the M44. Are all M44 crap?! haha

I mean, my friend has an M44, and it doesn't seem like crap to me... but then again I don't own it and get to fondle it and shoot it all the time, so I wouldn't know.

And yes, I had a 91/30 once, and the damn thing felt so reliable, you know how the saying goes:

"Stoner's M16 is a plastic toy that happens to shoot. The AK-47 is a rifle that you, if out of ammo, can use as a club. The Mosin-Nagant is a club that happens to shoot.

can you expand on why the M44 is crap? I had people earlier telling me the Chinese Type 53's quality is crap, and that's just a chinese version of the M44. Are all M44 crap?! haha

I mean, my friend has an M44, and it doesn't seem like crap to me... but then again I don't own it and get to fondle it and shoot it all the time, so I wouldn't know.

And yes, I had a 91/30 once, and the damn thing felt so reliable, you know how the saying goes:

"Stoner's M16 is a plastic toy that happens to shoot. The AK-47 is a rifle that you, if out of ammo, can use as a club. The Mosin-Nagant is a club that happens to shoot.

sorry, i should clarify; i don't mean all 44 are crap... just that the one i have is :)

(and the mosin would make an excellent club)

M44 is shorter and easier to carry in the field, and fun to shoot with that fireball and looks mean with the folding bayonet.

But I feel the 91s are better, my reasons are; longer barrel can be more accurate due to longer sight radius, more velocity and less muzzle blast and loudnes.

I got the M44 first then the 91/30, now would like a M38 for less weight (no Bayonet) or maybe a Finnish M39 (they must be real accurate as the Russian rifles can shoot better than me)

Be sure to check the barrel before you buy, green fuzz grows fast out of those barrels with military ammo. (I treat all Russian ammo as corrosive)

Tried to post a longer reply and my internet hiccuped... here is the condensed version.
I've got both of these rifles and a few more Mosins (otherwise I would keep my mouth/keyboard shut).
Get the:
91/30 for collecting and shooting
T53 for collecting.

I'd try to get them both for $200 (it's easier if they are from the same seller)

A M44 that usually has a nice bore and nice wood is going to have a different feel than a T53.
91/30 on a hex is a nice gun, the T53s are just good as part of a Mosin collection - they don't make for a day of shooting ("day" is relative in Mosin terms).
91/30 is my vote unless you are adding to a collection.
That's my opinion, I hope others shoot ideas your way as well.
I have 2 as well I love shooting them ammo is plentiful if you look around lots of variations in stocks dress it up make it yours

I have some spare money to blow, and as the saying goes "you can't spend $100 better on anything else than a mosin".

I am looking at a 91/30 and a Chinese Type 53 (essentially a M44 mosin carbine built in China. all specs are identical except replace the cyrilic russian words on the receiver to chinese symbols).

They are of around the same price of $130.

91/30:
1926 Tula
Good bore
Wood furniture in good shape
Hex receiver

M44/Type 53:
1955 Chinese
Relatively poor bore. Some corrosion and needs a thorough cleaning
Wood furniture in good shape
Round receiver

I've owned a 91/30 in the past (sold it to contribute money into buying a PSL rifle), and have shot my friend's M44... so I'm familiar with both rifles.

I'd say I like the M44 better because it is basically a 91/30 that has been shortened by 10 inches, making it lighter and easier to shoot.

The only drawback is that the chinese type 53 / M44 has a pretty worn-out bore. This is probably why the price for it is low at around $130. most of the other Type 53s I see are around $200.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 91/30. But it's long and heavy. Sure, I shouldn't be whining about it since the M44 with the attached bayonet weighs just as much as a 91/30 without a bayonet.

If you were in my shoes, which one would you purchase? Or suggest to me another surplus battle rifle under $200.

Thanks in advance!
M38

I have 2 as well I love shooting them ammo is plentiful if you look around lots of variations in stocks dress it up make it yours
Holy thread resurrection Batman! OP hasn't been around since 2012.
200.gif

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads