JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've lived in the same house for over 37 years. Mrs. Merkt makes occasional noise about "getting something smaller." Both as to structure and land. Which require continual effort that old people typically are less and less able to handle. I haven't reached that point yet. My line of resistance is mainly built on the costs involved. A major issue for me is, Warshington state has a real estate excise tax (REET). Which is a tax on the SELLER when the property changes hands. In my county, the tax on sales up to $500K is 1.60 percent. On amounts of sales between $500K and $750K, the rate is 1.78%. Of those amounts, the state gets the first whole one percent; the county gets the remainder. The REET is legalized extortion. This is just free money to the state and county, they didn't provide any service to earn it (regular extortionate property taxes pay for that) or do anything to factually entitle them to or deserve it. They didn't take any risk in the property investment, they didn't do anything to help keep it up over the years.

Inflation has turned the REET into a real bonanza for the state and counties. When a house cost $50K, the rate was more like 1%, so the tax was $500. Bad enough. But now, if a typical house (not uncommon in this county and often greater), that 1.6% is $8,000. I could go on about this, but further comments would swerve into the arena of politics.

Of course there are the usual, physical expenses of moving. Then you get to your new place, and have to make changes and improvements to it to make it more suitable to yourself.
Ya that sucks! I sell residential HVAC, Home Depot and Lowe's uses us etc. In California we only got taxed on equipment, Portland has no tax but in Washington we get taxed on the whole deal! When I moved up here to help build service patriots I got an apartment with a ten month lease. I knew I'd be driving around Oregon and Washington, from Seattle to Bend. Each county is so different. I'm leaning towards moving over to Oregon so I can buy unrestricted before the libs lock that place down too!

"There is a substantial difference between people who hoard "good stuff," and those who compulsively store worthless stuff"

I agree with you but in her view, it's all junk taking up space.
If you regularly shot it, she might see it differently.
Y'all have seen my reloading room. It's crowded.
Wife never questioned the value of it, because it's my place to relax. I may come home from work pissed off, an hour at the bench and I'm a happier man. My gun stuff doesn't spill over into the living areas or the bedroom.

The REET is legalized extortion.
Wow! @gmerkt, you may not, but it sure seems like WA residents take Olympia's shenanigans laying down.
Back when Oregon was still conservative, Babs Roberts tried that rubbish and we voted caps on it. She then spent the rest of her time trying to get an income tax passed.
Still, OR is a horrible state for taxes and total cost of living.

If you regularly shot it, she might see it differently.
Y'all have seen my reloading room. It's crowded.
Wife never questioned the value of it, because it's my place to relax. I may come home from work pissed off, an hour at the bench and I'm a happier man. My gun stuff doesn't spill over into the living areas or the bedroom.
Possibly but she would likely be happier if I didn't own any of it. She would rather I spend money on traveling, eating out and other experiences that don't involve bringing stuff home. I like to receive more tangible items in exchange for my cash. Even if they end up serving as paper weights.

Possibly but she would likely be happier if I didn't own any of it. She would rather I spend money on traveling, eating out and other experiences that don't involve bringing stuff home. I like to receive more tangible items in exchange for my cash. Even if they end up serving as paper weights.
The intangibles, if they deepen a love between you two, are far more valuable.

How about a storage unit, box everything non serial numbered up and label it. I like those clear plastic totes so I can sort of see what's in them. I also put in storage things bought in bulk like cardboard boxes for my business and things that are seasonal rotation like my Kerosene garage heater.

I give her crap about the amount of pillows strewn around the house and I believe her biggest gripe is all the paperwork I leave strewn about the house. Most of the gun stuff is hers, so there's that...

Do you realize how few nights out it takes to spend enough, counting tips, to buy another gun? I' m tellin' ya' man! And we only eat at the dive Bar & Grill!

I give her crap about the amount of pillows strewn around the house and I believe her biggest gripe is all the paperwork I leave strewn about the house. Most of the gun stuff is hers, so there's that...
:rolleyes:
View: https://youtu.be/bMVWECam8EA

Do you realize how few nights out it takes to spend enough, counting tips, to buy another gun? I' m tellin' ya' man! And we only eat at the dive Bar & Grill!

:rolleyes:
View: https://youtu.be/bMVWECam8EA
We went out to eat at a dive Chinese restaurant in Tualatin on Saturday night. I could have bought two stripped lowers for the cost of the meal. Eating out sucks these days. I do it on occasion to keep the peace.

My wife tried to enter my safe space yesterday to look for potting soil. She was flabbergasted by my accumulation of treasures (aka a holy heck of a mess), I have acquired over the last 8 months or so. Of course, I blamed it on Reverend Nutters and the LEVO gang but she wasn't buying it.

Looks like I will be doing some summer cleaning and reorganization over the next month or so.

Before I start the cleaning process I am going to take a few days off from both jobs and get some r&r.

My plan is to advance the work on a few of my firearm projects (if I can unbury them) and see if they will function without blowing my appendages or face off.

There is little relief in sight from getting hours reduced from either job, so reorganization of safe space is going to be a drawn out process. I am going to have to get super creative in using every available cubic inch of area in my safe space.

She quickly gave up on looking for potting soil since she couldn't even swing the door open. 😞
BUSTED!

Wives (good ones anyway) ALWAYS find things out…. it's in their nature.
And really good wives look the other way and pretend they don't know. "A slight obsession with guns?" she says to herself. "Could be a whole lot worse. Heroin, alcoholism, philandering, wife beating. Shhhh. Guns? What guns?"

We went out to eat at a dive Chinese restaurant in Tualatin on Saturday night. I could have bought two stripped lowers for the cost of the meal. Eating out sucks these days. I do it on occasion to keep the peace.
Any more I've become so picky that I'll pretty much only go to one place. It's pretty popular kinda "divey" bar and grill on NE Halsey. Decent bar food, decent priced, decent clientele and service. We can be into it, depending on how the poker machines do from $55.00ish to a C-note. That's only once a month. Used to do it once every week or two..

... I like to receive more tangible items in exchange for my cash. Even if they end up serving as paper weights.
Start selling a few items and start collecting paper weights and see what she says.

Better yet, start collecting women's clothing. You may not get lucky ever again but she'll be happy with the additional wardrobe. P.S., stay away from lingerie and red pumps as that would be weird.

Wow! @gmerkt, you may not, but it sure seems like WA residents take Olympia's shenanigans laying down.
Yeah, what can a person do? In my county, you could hold a GOP meeting in a phone booth. You could hold a non-Trump GOP meeting in a thimble.

For reasons previously stated, I'm not gonna move to change my circumstances.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top