JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heirloom seeds. Enough for yourself and some extras to share/barter with neighbors.

A good selection of hand tools for gardening and building.

For some of us, our Great-Grandparents' lives were 'survivalist' lifestyles. They didn't have the conveniences we do now, but they had good lives.

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1244.jpeg

Heirloom seeds. Enough for yourself and some extras to share/barter with neighbors.

A good selection of hand tools for gardening and building.

For some of us, our Great-Grandparents' lives were 'survivalist' lifestyles. They didn't have the conveniences we do now, but they had good lives.

View attachment 1472904

View attachment 1472905
If you plan on gardening you better have lots of water stored up. My wife has been using 4 to 5 gallons a day to water some marigolds she planted out by the front door. She has become rather attached to them, so I think I will have to harvest and eat them at night when she is sleeping.

Buying? Freeze dried, MRE, canned food.

otherwise, pressure or HWB can your own. What you usually eat. Deer, salmon, stew, etc. Cycle it out and use it as you replace it. Lasts many years done right.

agree, but if were talking about struggling to make ends meet then thats a different subject. Someone whos in a position to prep food storage for some unlikely event isnt struggling to get by in life.
An unlikely event could be a job loss. Losing your job could result someone having to dip into their survival food storage. Even poor people should make an effort to stock up on extra food. Healthier options may be harder to stock up on but some food is better than no food.

An unlikely event could be a job loss. Losing your job could result someone having to dip into their survival food storage. Even poor people should make an effort to stock up on extra food. Healthier options may be harder to stock up on but some food is better than no food.
Im still gonna call that a very different subject. Should we talk about how poor people prep for survival food or how anyone preps healthy food for disaster situations?
This would be a good time to define what "healthy food" means?

Im still gonna call that a very different subject. Should we talk about how poor people prep for survival food or how anyone preps healthy food for disaster situations?
This would be a good time to define what "healthy food" means?
Trying to define healthy might be as easy as trying to define poor people. Supposedly 65ish percent of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.

Trying to define healthy might be as easy as trying to define poor people. Supposedly 65ish percent of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.
exactly why Im trying not to go down that rabbit hole. The subject is "healthy survival food storage"
Im still convinced "healthy" doesnt matter in a survival situation. But I did give on topic ideas for anyone who can... afford it. ;)

Plant based proteins such as beans and nuts are very shelf stable if stored properly.

Hell, peanut butter smeared on a tortilla will give you all the protein and carbs you need to split a cord of firewood in a day.

People massively overestimate how much they need to eat to survive. Not to mention the amount of sugar in an average Americans diet is enough to give us all diabetes via osmosis.

I eat pretty healthy as is and when I do have something with a ton of fat/carbs/sugar, I feel it, more so the older I get. It's so much easier to keep my weight and stored fats under control with a minimum (not free of) carb intake. I've never really been that much into sweets, so sugar levels have always been easy for me to maintain.

Probably one of the best things to come out of my brief pro hockey career in my teens & early 20's was having to work with nutritionists. I'd recommend anyone serious about this stuff to consult a good one.

Plant based proteins such as beans and nuts are very shelf stable if stored properly.

Hell, peanut butter smeared on a tortilla will give you all the protein and carbs you need to split a cord of firewood in a day.

People massively overestimate how much they need to eat to survive. Not to mention the amount of sugar in an average Americans diet is enough to give us all diabetes via osmosis.

I eat pretty healthy as is and when I do have something with a ton of fat/carbs/sugar, I feel it, more so the older I get. It's so much easier to keep my weight and stored fats under control with a minimum (not free of) carb intake. I've never really been that much into sweets, so sugar levels have always been easy for me to maintain.

Probably one of the best things to come out of my brief pro hockey career in my teens & early 20's was having to work with nutritionists. I'd recommend anyone serious about this stuff to consult a good one.
I love peanut butter on a tortilla for quick sustainable energy. My Mexican wife looked at me crazy the first time she saw me do it. :D

I have several #10 cans of freeze dried beans and other veggies as a part of my food storage. But if you are in such a situation where you have to rely on emergency food long enough that you need healthy emergency food then the world is so far gone that you are going to be back to growing and hunting yourself and other health issues will be forefront. Id say high calorie foods that go a long way for little are better than a healthy emergency salad.

Just imagine going camping for the next 10 years and what you would want to bring with you. Salads or the stuff that is difficult to procure during the winter that is very high calorie?

I have several #10 cans of freeze dried beans and other veggies as a part of my food storage. But if you are in such a situation where you have to rely on emergency food long enough that you need healthy emergency food then the world is so far gone that you are going to be back to growing and hunting yourself and other health issues will be forefront. Id say high calorie foods that go a long way for little are better than a healthy emergency salad.

Just imagine going camping for the next 10 years and what you would want to bring with you. Salads or the stuff that is difficult to procure during the winter that is very high calorie?
Healthy doesn't necessarily mean salad. Just as survival food doesn't need to be twinkies.

What about blood sugar crashes from all the processed sugars and starch? That's not sustainable energy needed to survive SHTF situations.

We should define the word "survival"?

I don't think of surviving and eating healthy in the same subject. Survival means getting by without things you need, like healthy foods or even any foods. If your surviving, your going to eat anything you can find.

We'll go to any lengths to prolong our lives while at the same time shortening them. LOL makes sense to me. :D

We should define the word "survival"?

I don't think of surviving and eating healthy in the same subject. Survival means getting by without things you need, like healthy foods or even any foods. If your surviving, your going to eat anything you can find.
Good point.

Healthy doesn't necessarily mean salad.
True, you dont want to store just 3 months of noodles and nothing else. But the vast majority of nutrition deficiencies are not going to happen on the short term when emergency food would be used.

The vast majority of people do not have vitamin deficiencies or other significant nutritional deficiencies at baseline. Many of us eat pretty unhealthy as it is, but even a lot of junk food is fortified. So scurvy, beriberi, rickets, pernicious anemia etc are going to be many months away.

So what most people will need during SHTF is a lot of calories and clean water.

So looking at my storage which is mostly mountain house, eating any of those for 2-3 months is not going to cause any significant health issue that normally would be attributed to a "unhealthy diet"

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews