JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've yet to meet an AR-15 caliber I didn't love.

That said, there are a handful I haven't shot. One of the main ones being 7.62x39. Never understood that one. You won't find me going to Chick-fil-A and asking them to make me a Lamb Gyro...

Anyhow... if someone said you can only have 3 AR calibers they'd be, in no particular order, .223, 300blk, and 6.5 Grendel. If someone then said, hey it's range day and you can only bring one, then I'd take 300blk.

I'm a 30 cal junkie generally speaking... and yes, that includes 7.62x39, but in its proper platform.

Gee I'm not sure I can figure that one out, but it does make me feel a little killdozer-ish.
I couldn't figure it out either.

If the Army wants a weapon platform to better deal with long range threats wearing body armor, then I would assume that "the people" would also want the same thing. Affordably.

If the Army wants a weapon platform to better deal with long range threats wearing body armor, then I would assume that "the people" would also want the same thing. Affordably.
It is and it has been for 100 years. 30-06 will take care of most all body armor. A bubba'Ed tapco'ed out savage for $200 from your favorite pawn shop will get the job done.

Right. But I will never face that level of threat at distance. Most of my land is dense forest, so even if I have to fight the commiezombie horde, it won't be at extended ranges.

5.56 and 6.5 Grendel are what I have for my ARs.

Buffman Range tv apparently proved the hard to get tungsten cored 7.92 Mauser took care of Level 4 plates
It is and it has been for 100 years. 30-06 will take care of most all body armor.
According to NIJ protocols, Level 4 hard armor is rated to stop at least 1 round of .30-06 AP steel core M2 ammo at 25 meters at perpendicular angle of impact. Many reputable (Leading Tech Composites/Hoplite, Highcom, Ceradyne, Safariland's Protech) brands tests to multiple AP2 30-06 hits

only the relatively exotic US made tungsten cored AP 5.56 and 7.62x51 may be able to penetrate NIJ Level 4, and the aforementioned German tungsten cored AP 7.92 ammo.

Last Edited:
If we're talking about the AR15 specifically and not "AR-pattern" more broadly (AR10, etc) then 5.56 is my caliber. Would love to get into .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, etc but they just don't tug at my heart strings enough to get me to commit to a whole new caliber. If I were to do so, then I would probably commit the sacrilege of having a 7.62x39 AR before picking up the other two.

223 is probably my favorite for target shooting and self-defense. I like 300 BLK and 9mm because I can shoot subsonic, and with the same suppressor. I like 308 because it's so versatile, and powerful enough for any hunting I'd ever do. I've also shot .22, 5.45, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel and 12 gauge (not sure that one was really an AR). Both of the 6.5's were remarkably accurate. All of them were fun. I'll probably eventually get a 6.5.

Obviously the popular 's Will be listed up here but I'm interested in some of the quirky ones.

My favorite caliber so far has got to be the 300 blackout. I haven't had a single issue with The lower I built and the PSA upper I ordered for it and it has become my favorite truck gun.

It's not that I hate it but the 7.62x39 is probably the worst caliber I've dealt with in the AR platform. Extractors for days lol
The 300 BO is a sweet rig with subsonic ammo and a suppressor and ammo is not off the chart !

556 as a fun little cartridge.

308 as a fun larger cartridge for when you want to be a little more serious.
.50 BMG when you just gotta vaporize something :D
Raptor 50 AR-15 Upper Scope.png

5.56 is favorite for me. Prefer short stroke gas piston over DI. Can have foldable stocks (no buffer is needed), no twang or vibration from buffer tube, bolt is clean as new even after thousands of rounds. I also like the recoil impulse better personally. Never tried long stroke gas piston like the jakl but woudl like to try it sometime to compare.

I have a love hate relationship with the ar15 and the 223 cartridge. I think an ar15 is a versatile tool for self defense and have three for that purpose. I also think that the 223 makes a decent medium range varmint rifle in a bolt. My dislike is the desire to make it into a medium game rifle or even an elk rifle. Thier are much better hunting rifles and more decisive calibers. I also do not believe that the 223 compares very well with a 308. The only advantage I see with the 223 is that it is cheap and easy to shoot. Just my opinion.

5.56 is favorite for me. Prefer short stroke gas piston over DI. Can have foldable stocks (no buffer is needed), no twang or vibration from buffer tube, bolt is clean as new even after thousands of rounds. I also like the recoil impulse better personally. Never tried long stroke gas piston like the jakl but woudl like to try it sometime to compare.
The JAKL is great. Adjustable on the fly gas system really keeps keep things mild. With a suppressor and the gas off, recoil becomes as close to zero as reasonable. The balance is weird, though... Very front heavy

The JAKL is great. Adjustable on the fly gas system really keeps keep things mild. With a suppressor and the gas off, recoil becomes as close to zero as reasonable. The balance is weird, though... Very front heavy
Short stroke gas piston is front heavy also. Good to hear the jakl is smooth.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top