JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Obviously the popular 's Will be listed up here but I'm interested in some of the quirky ones.

My favorite caliber so far has got to be the 300 blackout. I haven't had a single issue with The lower I built and the PSA upper I ordered for it and it has become my favorite truck gun.

It's not that I hate it but the 7.62x39 is probably the worst caliber I've dealt with in the AR platform. Extractors for days lol

AR15 rifles and carbines really ain't my thing...but I do like the ones that look like what I was issued and used when in the Army.
( M16A1 , M16A2 , CAR-15 , M-4 )
Don't have any problems with folks owning , shooting and enjoying them...just as I said...ain't my thing.

Hate is a strong word...but I do intensely don't understand at best and dislike at the worst...
Those weird muzzle loading AR rifles.
Andy

AR's are my thing. 5.56 only for me. Comparatively inexpensive for a rifle round. Plentifully available in a shtf scenario. Effective.

The AR really isn't my thing, though I did put one together — a suppressed SBR that, more or less, recreates the CAR-15. It is in 5.56㎜ NATO.

And agreed with @Andy54Hawken; those AR muzzle-loaders are unholy affairs. Was never a fan of modern in-line types; the aforementioned AR monstrosities manage to out fugly even those. :s0112:

Last Edited:
I've taken my experience with the mechanics of the AR-15 from 5.56 to my favorite caliber, the 6.5 Grendel, for hunting deer. 👍😎

I've also run 6ARC, but that's more for long range predators. And while I like it too, the 6.5G is my favorite caliber.

Sounds like we're talking AR15? if that's the case, I'm a 5.56 man. If we're opening it up to include AR10 sizes, I'm a 6.5 needmore guy

I like to stick pretty close to what the rifle was initially designed around, though the advantages the 6.5CM provides while needing only a barrel change is significant enough to win out over .308 for me but not by a lot.

Very similar reasons to why the .300blk is popular, I just refuse to have any in my home because it's a bomb waiting to happen in a 5.56 chamber and accidents happen, no matter how careful one is

I started with a 10 with a 16" barrel. Thought that was a reverse waste of space so I put a 20"er on it.
Then I scratched my head and bought BCM side charge upper in 243. Next was a 7.62X39 also
with a side charge upper, entire gun. I also have a couple 223/556's, both side charge, 20" barrels.
The 223/556 will be got shed of pretty soon. For the gun things I do and the home protection they
just are not a part of it. 223/556 is just not a caliber I have much use for.

Favorite all around, 5.56. It is relatively cheap, light recoil, good accuracy, good distance, plentiful, fun.
Likely my most shot is my dedicated .22 SBR with silencer. Again cheap, fun, accurate, quiet.

Never really found a bad caliber. 7.62x39 is known for its challenges in many ways. My Lakeside Razorback belt fed .22 upper was a bit finicky.

I have several AR's in .22, 9mm, .300 Whisper, 5.56 and .308.

My real interest in the area of rifles lies in M1903 Springfields and Garands. In different times I'd have more of these, fewer ARs. But as the we evolve from a high trust society into something else, I'm becoming far more defensive oriented.

The two uses I'm most AR enthusiastic is for varmint hunting and service rifle/mid-range competition. With the right rifle system and load selection, 600 to 800 yards is well within effective boundaries. And I'm sticking to 5.56/.223 - it does what I need and I have my hand loads dialed in very nicely.

All that said, I've had the idea of building a retro XM-177 for a long time - just because that's what the cool kids sported back in my youth. Even have a few 20 rounders stored for the occasion…

I wonder how this coversation will go in twenty years after the XM7/NGSW has been around a while. Will the AR/5.56 go the way of the dodo? Will there be affordable civilian versions available? Or will the dual metal round keep it out of reach? I hope the AR/M4 sticks around.

I wonder how this coversation will go in twenty years after the XM7/NGSW has been around a while. Will the AR/5.56 go the way of the dodo? Will there be affordable civilian versions available? Or will the dual metal round keep it out of reach? I hope the AR/M4 sticks around.
The AR won't go anywhere just like the 1911 hasn't gone anywhere. They're America's guns

For your viewing pleasure
1715572276956.png

I've taken my experience with the mechanics of the AR-15 from 5.56 to my favorite caliber, the 6.5 Grendel, for hunting deer. 👍😎

I've also run 6ARC, but that's more for long range predators. And while I like it too, the 6.5G is my favorite caliber.
My buddy has an AR in grendel, It shoots like a dream.

In the AR platform I prefer 5.56. Also have a pistol variant in 300BO.

Neither is the holy grail, but each are quite good for the specific job they perform.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top