JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many years ago I did a fishing trip up to the Williams Lake area and was given the third degree about weapons when crossing the Canadian border.

At that time I believe it was illegal to bring in anything considered to be a weapon including pepper spray. They wanted you to enter Canada and then buy it from a Canadian retailer.

Rifles and shotguns could be brought in if declared, for hunting purposes.

Do you know if the law still prevents pepper spray (bear spray) from being taken across the border???

Here, let me Google that for you:
Let me google that for you

"ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada."

Thank you for that information.

It is interesting that if you want to take Rifle or Shotgun into Canada for a hunting trip you must register them at the border and pay a $25 fee for doing so.

I guess it might be a better idea to go with a hunting guide and use their supplied weapons to avoid that registration requirement. I will avoid hunting in Canada and I suspect that is the intention of the border requirements.

I asked a Canadian border guard why they always asked about pepper spray, when it is sold in stores in Canada. She said small cans for protection against people were prohibited, but large cans labeled as bear spray were allowed. They ask so they can inspect the can, if you have any.

This was on the AK-CA border, so were more familiar with bear sprays being commonly carried.

Bruce

I always thought it was ok to take big cans of the bear mace into canada.

Did 3 yukon river trips, Dawson to Whitehorse, and we always brought pepper spray with us.

But ya never know when they're gonna change the laws on you....

Here, let me Google that for you:
Let me google that for you

"ALL fully automatic weapons, handguns and pepper spray are prohibited in Canada."

Hi, although this thread is about bear spray, the above information is wrong about handguns. And I should state, I am not a lawyer and should you need more info, contact below or a local police department.

Any U.S. citizen can bring firearms to Canada, shotguns, rifles, or handguns for sporting purposes. Handguns can only be used(for your purposes) on gun ranges and not in hunting activities. You should contact the Canadian Firearms Centre 1-800-731-4000, or Google Canadian Firearms Centre R.C.M.P..

As an aside, the same rules for firearms, pepper/o.c. that apply to U.S. residents coming north, apply to Canadians travelling south, but we have to deal with A.T.F., and must plan well ahead as the turn around time for permits can be 6-8 weeks by mail, faster for faxing.

As for o.c. pepper spray, yes it will probably be taken from you at the border. Those crazy Canucks!! But it is available here in sports stores in all sizes, both small for pockets and large for woods use. The small ones are sold as dog spray, and I know a lot of people who carry it. The thing is that it is not a weapon unless you use it as such. So if you are up to no good, it is likely it will be taken from you. If you use it on someone for no reason, expect a ride in the back of the a police car. If you use it in self defence against two or four legged animals, that will be taken into account. Probably the same rules, regulations, laws as down south.

The concentration in the cans by % is what you should think about. The higher the % of o.c., in the size you are looking at is what you want. But, also be aware that there are different propellants in the mix, with some cheap units clogging as soon as you pull the trigger.

I would not want to rely on pepper spray only in the woods. We, at least can have firearms(certain types) with us as we trek along for hikes. With pepper spray you also have to be aware of wind, range and direction for you to move if charged by an animal. You certainly don't want to spray and have it all come back in your face, blinding you, and doing nothing for the bear except make him think you taste very spicy!!!!! Educate yourself on the laws and regulations before you come, and contact local guides if that is the route you go. Although I am not a hunter at present, we do have a lot of U.S. hunters come up for various hunts. It is not that difficult to do with some planning.

The pepper spray can be bought for $20 and up, so, don't let that stop from enjoying the northern country. EH!

Peter

That's weird. I'm from Canada and when I was living in London Ontario there was a camping/milsurp store in town and I bought a thingy of bear spray to keep in my wife's car. Maybe they changed the law? I know you could buy bear spray but maybe it wasn't pepper spray.

edit: beaten by Ocanada, eh.

As of my last trip down from Alaska..the laws require you "Permit" your long guns. The "permit" is good for the first 4 guns i believe (no handguns allowed) but you can purchase additional "permits" Sounds alot like Oregon's laws for buying a permit for EVERYTHING!!!! hope this helps

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top