JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger Security Six is the easiest. A small screwdriver to take off grips and 45 seconds later it's completely stripped down.
I had no problem disassembling the Ruger, but putting it back together was more difficult - always the case. Part of the timing (?) pieces include a spring that has to be compressed to put in the last part. There is very little space to compress te spring and slide in the part.

A gunsmith would probably know what it is, but that is the best description that I can give.

I inherited a stainless 6" Ruger Security Six from my Dad. He casted and reloaded his own .38 wad-cutters that were a bit dirty and never cleaned the gun. I wanted it clean and shiny, so I went to work on my first and only revolver dismantle with no instruction book.

I still have more than 4000 of his wad-cutters. Although they were a bit dirty shooting out of a .357, they were accurate as hell.

I've found that 1911s, depending on exactly how they're built, can either be the easiest gun or the most difficult gun to take apart and reassemble. Especially without instructions on your first go round

When I was a kid I thought the hardest pistol to take down and put together was a Ruger Mark series .22 semi-automatic pistol. Spin forward 30 years and I can put a pre Mark IV together almost as fast as a IV. A .250" wooden dowel and noting the reciever over the frame overhang length have made all the difference.

No experience with the FiveSeven. The Glocks and the 1911s are easy, apart from the extra step I take not to put the idiot scratch on my 1911s.

The most difficult one I have come across of late was when I took my Colt Trooper I all the way down in a conservation effort. Particularly getting the tiny ball bearings reseated in the rear sight elevation post/spring Assy.

Last Edited:
Easiest to field strip and reassemble _ HH P7 /PSP
Hardest to detail strip and reassemble _ HH P7 /PSP

Wife watched me detail strip my P7 one time, she had the audacity to laugh when I was done and had a spring left over. This was pre internet days so no YouTube videos, so... took it all back apart, but it in a box and put it on the shelf. Next day took it out of the box and slapped it back together, no problem. Some guns just have parts that don't look like they belong in a gun.

1703795187785.png

Exception : After shooting corrosive ammo.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads