JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy once, cry once. Buy the AR that YOU consider high quality and one that you don't end up spending a bunch on additional money on to get it to look or feel what YOUR picture of YOUR AR should look like or how it should feel.

Noveske, LaRue, BCM, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT and Wilson for top tier, mil-spec AR's.

I have a couple of Noveske AR's and the quality and accuracy is outstanding. I wouldn't hesisitate to buy any of the other top tier manufactuer brands either.

I'd start with new or almost new $650+- AR, have fun with it, learn about the AR15 platform and get familiar with it. I personally like to build them so I get exactly what I want, not what a manufacturer thinks I want. There are so many choices and opinions on these, as you can tell by the responses. The only way you're really gonna figure out what you want, is owning and shooting one. When you're done with your $650 AR you can sell it for $600 and buy some thing more expensive $.02

Buy the Colt 6920 you mentioned in your first post in this thread and don't look back. It should everything you ask of and you could probably pass it on to your kids. As other have suggested in no specific order, BCM, LMT, Noveske, DD and LaRue all make quality rifles. If you have a local gun shop your prefer, see how much they charge to use/go though FFL ($30-40) fee. You can order that Colt from G&R Tactical, heres a link <broken link removed>

Thanks for all the input!

My dad has an older plain jane Colt M4 - so that's what I'm used to shooting. Are the vertical foregrips pretty good? Do they make a huge difference? (I cringe at asking this question - I bet that's another can of worms ;))

For what it's worth, I don't plan on strapping all sorts of stuff to the rifle. I'm planning on simply a SOPMOD stock (if I go Colt) and red dot or low magnification optic like a Leupold Mark AR. Nothing more...but if there's a vertical foregrip already on it like the one TacticalMark linked to maybe it's worthwhile.

My dad has an older plain jane Colt M4 - so that's what I'm used to shooting. Are the vertical foregrips pretty good? Do they make a huge difference? (I cringe at asking this question - I bet that's another can of worms ;))

For what it's worth, I don't plan on strapping all sorts of stuff to the rifle. I'm planning on simply a SOPMOD stock (if I go Colt) and red dot or low magnification optic like a Leupold Mark AR. Nothing more...but if there's a vertical foregrip already on it like the one TacticalMark linked to maybe it's worthwhile.

Personally, I don't see the need for a vertical fore-grip, especially when you're not hanging a light and laser off the front (since one of its reasons is to provide something to hold on to when the front of the rifle fills up with stuff).

I will put in another pitch for BCM, and that is their midlength gas system. I like it because it provides a longer handguard length over the carbine, especially when comparing guns with fixed front sights. They also offer tons of different configurations for their uppers, and you know it was put together correctly. I have their 16" midlength lightweight barrel and it makes for a very light, handy rifle (just over 7 lbs with a red dot).

Fore grips are a personal preference item some like then for ergonomics and more control or not. I use one one on one of my railed rifles cause i don't like the feel of that particular rail but if i got rid of the rail i probably would not need the grip :nuts:

I have yet to decide if i like having a grip or not but it does look cool.

And don't worry about opening another can of worms guys around here like to hear themselves bicker and show how much or how little they know besides a can of worms goes good with popcorn.

There's always one. The list from andreys21 is pretty spot on, though again in that range I'd drop Spikes from THAT list. Nothing wrong with them, but for the $$ can get better imho.

At $1k take your pick from LMT, BCM or some of the boutique shops with quality, $1-$2K take your pick but spec it well. At that price I'd take my pick of uppers from BCM/LMT/Noveske- add in Seekins/WOA/etc depending on what you want. Build your lower and choose the lower you want, add a Geislee trigger, Bad-*** ambi safety and a Vltor A5 stock and be good.

Whoops, I forgot noveske. It all depends on the your budget. I prefer my piston driven LWRC M6SL ($1500 retail). Same weight as any DI AR. Lwrc makes best piston guns IMHO. Pof system is too heavy while PWS is the new kid on the block. I bought upper separately (lwrc website fathers day 15% discount $999 shipped) and built the lower myself. Paid same as retail but I also got Geissle SSA trigger. Better to go this route.

LWRC gets very mixed reviews.
I'm not a fan of vertical grips personally, handstop/angle grips can work alright for me.

BCM's midlength is not unique to them like the above post seems to make appear. Midlength is a "standard" configuration, just not as common as carbine length gas system

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not an AR guy. I just like guns. My first AR was a used Colt. it was a fine gun and served its purpose. it also had good resale value when i decided i wasn't into black guns.

It was quick and easy to sell. I lost no money. Colts seem to sell fast.

Now that's been said, somehow i decided i want another ar. This time I'm building from premium used parts. I don't expect to sell it... If i don't shoot it, it can just sit in the safe next to the other stuff i don't shoot but want to hold on to if for no other reason than i may not be able to get another in the future, the way the government is going... Or maybe my kids will be into 'em...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top