JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have two 9.3x62s. One is a custom based on a commercial mauser with a heavy barrel. The other is a husqvarna model 146. I think the cartridge is sufficient for anything in north america. It has the ability to reach out 250 yards with a 286 grain pill. I do not consider it the equivalent of a 375 H&H or does it have the range of a 338wm. I keep my shots to less than 300 yards so the 9.3x62 is a good hunting round for me. I also shoot a 9.3x74r that seems awfully closa to the 9.3x62. I hope to kill something besides paper someday. Any specific questions? I am certain others know more about this cartridge than I do but I am a big fan.

No specific questions, at least not yet. I just saw one in the rack and was interested in it. I did a quick search on Midway and see that Dies, bullets and brass are available, spendy but available. Right now my biggest hunting caliber is a 300 Win Mag so this would be a good bigger caliber. I have an old Weaver 4X scope with a German reticle that would complement the German caliber. Anyway it's all pipe dreams for now but I am looking at the gun safe and thinking about what I don't shoot or have duplicates of......

Too bad it's not .25 because you could then always say quarter bore for the rest of your life every chance you got. Like everybody else.
The only reason I wouldn't get it is because no one knows what a mm is except for the 9mm Lunger.

Lol

Too bad it's not .25 because you could then always say quarter bore for the rest of your life every chance you got. Like everybody else.
The only reason I wouldn't get it is because no one knows what a mm is except for the 9mm Lunger.

Lol
I've already got a 25-06 so got the quarter bore covered and a couple wonder 9's. Even a 10mm so my mm cherry is broke so to speak.

I have purchased most of my brass through Graf and sons. I purchased several hundred about a decade a go.

The 9.3x62 is easy to reload - not any harder than a 30-06, the components are just a bit more scarce.

Honestly, it likely won't do anything that something you already have doesn't already do. But if we only bought and built guns that we needed, this hobby would be boring as hell!

Go for it!

There must be something to it - supposedly the 9.3x62 can in some countrys in Africa hunt games that its illegal to shoot with a smaller caliber.

I love mine- it's a CZ 550FS. Once I started shooting it, the 375HH went down the road as it accomplishes the same thing for the range I would use it at. The caliber is easy to load for and very forgiving, and packs a helluva punch. It has killed just one buck but did it with absolute authority. If I was to go elk/moose/something that may hunt back it would be my go-to. Best of luck on your search- if a 550FS ever crosses your path, don't think twice, buy it!
Zingger

No reason it wouldn't work as it's ballistically very similar to the .35 Whelen.
Oddly enough, I found a thread at some other gun forum where a guy thought load data for the 9.3 might also work for the .375 Whelen (improved).
He based it on the fact that the cartridges are similar in size.
Turns out 58 grains of RL-15 powering a 270 gr. Speer bullet (apparently a load he found for the 9.3) worked pretty good.
...so...there's that.

Last Edited:
I've already got a 25-06 so got the quarter bore covered and a couple wonder 9's. Even a 10mm so my mm cherry is broke so to speak.
All bow to the mighty .250 Savage! A cartridge so special, no gun on earth is currently chambered for it. ( :rolleyes: ;) )
...seriously though, I seem to remember 9.3 was popular in Europe for dropping big Red Stags and Ibex.

Alot of good cartridges go through the cycle of being/not being popular.some come back others don't. I am not a fan of the 250 savage. I could see that cartridge being brought back. If they could get the BCs for 25 caliber bullets up I can see the 25 caliber rifles becoming popular again. I shoot a 25-06 and am trying to get a 257 roberts built.

Alot of good cartridges go through the cycle of being/not being popular.some come back others don't. I am not a fan of the 250 savage. I could see that cartridge being brought back. If they could get the BCs for 25 caliber bullets up I can see the 25 caliber rifles becoming popular again. I shoot a 25-06 and am trying to get a 257 roberts built.
Black Jack Bullets is making a 131gr .257. Hammer Bullets is doing a few 125+gr offerings as well. I believe Berger has a high BC .257, so they are starting to come about.

The problem is that once you get past the standard weights is how well will the rifle stabilize the bullet.
Yes, you need to match your barrel twist rate to the new bullet lengths. They don't work in a standard 1:10.

I have a 1:7.5 .257 barrel blank in the shop waiting to be turned and chambered. I haven't decided what yet, but still have a year or so before my lathe is back together.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top