JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen some home made shot shell traps in Eastern Oregon, but today I was hanging out with an older fellow, & he had a (what looked like) production model. I looked it over pretty good, & the only writing on it was "PATNOV 1102". I searched the web when I got home, but could find nothing about it. Can some one here tell me any history of this?

To the best of my knowledge they are illegal to have I would do some research but I know people that do have them, again home made. But I have been told by several people they are illegal to have. I have never heard of any being sold in stores but maybe 20/30 years ago they were. They work great though.

There are a number of patents on 12 gauge mole traps so there probably are a few . However, they all violate 'set-gun' federal law.

In Washington, any trap that grips the mole's body is also illegal under I-713. (Don't get me started....)

I did find this one though.

...the MoleCat uses
a .27 caliber blank cartridge which kills the animal by concussion.
Since it does not grip the body, it is not prohibited by I-713...

Welcome to Molecat Headquarters!

These work. I have one and they will start a fire. I have actually blown animals out of their holes. Ken
<broken link removed>

I saw some two years ago in a cheaper than dirt magazine. They were something like five bucks each. I agree they are illegal but, they've been on the market recently if not currently.

To the best of my knowledge they are illegal to have I would do some research but I know people that do have them, again home made. But I have been told by several people they are illegal to have. I have never heard of any being sold in stores but maybe 20/30 years ago they were. They work great though.

Legal in Oregon for gophers ,moles etc.

166.320¹

Setting springgun or setgun
(1) Any person who places or sets any loaded springgun, setgun, or any gun, firearm or other device of any kind designed for containing or firing explosives, in any place where it may be fired, exploded or discharged by the contact of any person or animal with any string, wire, rod, stick, spring or other contrivance affixed to or connected with it, or with its trigger, shall be punished upon conviction by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than 30 days nor more than six months, or both.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to any loaded springgun, setgun, firearm or other device placed for the purpose of destroying gophers, moles or other burrowing rodents, and does not prevent the use of a coyote getter by employees of county, state or federal governments engaged in cooperative predatory animal control wor

I have seen some home made shot shell traps in Eastern Oregon, but today I was hanging out with an older fellow, & he had a (what looked like) production model. I looked it over pretty good, & the only writing on it was "PATNOV 1102". I searched the web when I got home, but could find nothing about it. Can some one here tell me any history of this?

BATF will have you fitted for custom handcuffs. It is listed as a destructive device. (IED), and is highly illegal. They really work good though. Greydog.

Moose I remember an older gentleman who made something very similar to the Molecat and used to market it at the gun shows in the Expo center. It looked to me like it would work great and it used the same ammunition as the Hilti-tools.

I haven't seen him in years and the last time I did so he told me that a company was interesting in marketing his invention. I'd like to think that this is his product and hope that he made a buck or two off it.

There are a number of patents on 12 gauge mole traps so there probably are a few . However, they all violate 'set-gun' federal law.

In Washington, any trap that grips the mole's body is also illegal under I-713. (Don't get me started....)

I did find this one though.

Welcome to Molecat Headquarters!

Right on... I'm gonna order up one of those!

These work. I have one and they will start a fire. I have actually blown animals out of their holes. Ken
<broken link removed>

Oh, holy smoke!! LOL!!! That would be awesome!! Freakin 1700 bucks though.. dang.

IIRC there was a compressed-air version used by pros that sensed the approach of the mole and popped out a puff of air with a 'whump' when the varmint got close. No risk of fire, no interest by ATF, and it had multi-shot capability. The idea was for deep pockets like golf courses to set & forget these things around their borders where the critters were tunneling in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top