JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well.....my wife is one happy camper. I donned rubber gloves to help mask human scent and set up the Molecat per the provided instructions. I dug in the flower bed until I found a worm that volunteered to be used as bait and mushed him over the plastic bag that I then used to enclose the device.

I set it out on Wednesday afternoon and noted Thursday morning that it had fired sometime during the night. I'm pretty darned happy with this thing.

A better home brew solution?

Based on garage lab experience in high school in the 50s I decided to put together a sulfur bomb to gas moles in the middle 80s. Potassium nitrate was still available at the local drug store so I put together a cousin to black powder--potassium nitrate, sulfur (also at the local drug store) and powdered sugar in place of charcoal.

The idea was to go heavy on the sulfur to gas the buggers. As an alternative I guess one could cut the sulfur and go for a fast burn. I don't know whether it would burn fast enough to emulate black powder as we'd just used a mixture for rocket fuel.

Anyway, I shoved a healthy amount of the stuff down the local varmint hole, lit it off and covered it over.

The next thing I knew smoke was coming up from all over the neighbors' yards. There was enough pressure developing to find every thin spot on every tunnel.

I didn't see the critter after that nor did I try a repeat lest the neighbors take offense.

A better home brew solution?

Based on garage lab experience in high school in the 50s I decided to put together a sulfur bomb to gas moles in the middle 80s. Potassium nitrate was still available at the local drug store so I put together a cousin to black powder--potassium nitrate, sulfur (also at the local drug store) and powdered sugar in place of charcoal.

The idea was to go heavy on the sulfur to gas the buggers. As an alternative I guess one could cut the sulfur and go for a fast burn. I don't know whether it would burn fast enough to emulate black powder as we'd just used a mixture for rocket fuel.

Anyway, I shoved a healthy amount of the stuff down the local varmint hole, lit it off and covered it over.

The next thing I knew smoke was coming up from all over the neighbors' yards. There was enough pressure developing to find every thin spot on every tunnel.

I didn't see the critter after that nor did I try a repeat lest the neighbors take offense.

I bought sulfur at the feed store a few years ago. Placed several foil trays in the holes and lit them on fire with a road flare. I then covered them all with plywood except one and placed a high volume fan on top. the back yard looked like Yellowstone on a foggy day. Moles and gophers were back within a week. I need a molecat!!!.

I have used highway flares with good success. Try to locate as many holes as you can find and mark a few of the deepest ones (shove a garden hose to determine this) and plug the remaining holes with mud. Light 30 minute flares and with a broom stick shove the flares as deep into the holes as you can and plug them. I have gotten rid of them for a season this way but they always come back. There used to be a product called Gopher Gassers which you used in a similar manner.

I have found in the past that 15mm bird bombs sold for agricultural use work fantastic. I used to put one each in about three different holes in the back yard with a long fuse and lightly cover the hole with dirt to keep the pressure in. This would stop all mole activity for 1 year minimun. The bird bombs are now hard to find with out a license but if you can find them they work great and give you a warn fuzzy feeling as well.

I have the same one. Its an animal trap patented by H. Sargent that lived in Corvallis Oregon. Patented yr. 1902. Pat # 713502. Found mine in an estate sale. The pieces where on different tables. They had no idea all belong together. Its pritty fun as a conversational piece. If you get a feel for the value, please let me know.

I confirmed the first two and then decided to stop digging up my own lawn. Properly staked it will only discharge on contact with the target.

I know the post is older, but thought I'd chime in and say that it's mole time again. Buddy at work gave up last year on the moles, as he just couldn't keep them out of his VERY nice yard. He tried everything I had heard of, and then some.

He bought the molecat, and this season has had six firings thus far. His yard is quite large. After the molecat discharges, mole activity in that portion of the yard visibly ceases.

Obviously not proof that it KILLS every mole out there, but if it keeps them from making new mounds, he could care less. But as circumstantial evidence that it works, he has not had to re-trap those portions of his yard in approaching a month.

I will likely be purchasing one of these myself. Anyone familiar with blank rimfire (.22?) ammo with a headstamp "P" with a star?

If memory serves me right, the molecat uses the blanks for powder actuated nail guns. You may be able to get them at Home Depot.

Same friend at work picked up a box of the nail gun "boosters" as I've seen them called. Appear to be identical other than slight difference in rim thickness (based on visual inspection, not with calipers) and the fact that the boosters are far shorter. The Molecat blank appears to be the same overall dimensions as a 22LR, once the blank has fired. I guess I'll find out if/how well the "boosters" work!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top