JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a model 9422, 22 magnum, lever action rifle I purchased in 1978 and used it only a couple of times one summer reducing the prairie dog population around a friends family ranch near Yosemite NP. Having just purchased a Ruger Redhawk 44 and getting back into shooting, I was planning on taking the 22 out for some target practice as well.

Curious who in the forum shoots 22 mag rifles, what ammo you like and what you use the gun for (if other than target practice). I don't believe the 17 HMR had come of age back when I bought this and hear it's become the darling of the small caliber rifles...so maybe my 22 mag is simply a relic :s0114:

Thanks

CCI +V is good or the Hornady V-Max for critters. If your just plinking CCI standard or Remington, Winchester has had some recalls.

Tag along sage-rat shooting on a slightly windy day with some guys carrying their .17HMR's, and they will be soon staring enviously at your .22WMR. The HMR may shoot flatter at the extreme ranges, (practical hunting "extreme" for these guns is 125-200yards -- surely some may challenge my "extreme", but not along with the "practical hunting" preface --), but if you learn your WMR trajectory, it will walk on the HMR for hits at those ranges if there is a good breeze. Most accurate in my Bullberry custom Contender carbine is the good ol' Winchester 40g hollowpoint. Have tried everything new that has come out in the last 15 years, and cannot better it. Haven't heard of the recalls that deadeye mentioned, but I did run into a batch that woluld not chamber in my tight-tolerance barrel. Maybe that was one of the recall problems (they did chamber in both my other "factory standard chamber" WMR rifles, and my revolvers).

I spent 6 months of last year working almost exclusively with a Savage .17HMR, accurizing it, shooting and hunting with it, experimenting with every load available. I really got to like the cartridge and gun (finally), but it does very little the WMR won't do, and when the wind kicks up, it is lost.

I've always admired the 9422, and especially the Magnum version. If I haven't talked you into keeping it, I'd like to talk you out of it.

Tag along sage-rat shooting on a slightly windy day with some guys carrying their .17HMR's, and they will be soon staring enviously at your .22WMR. The HMR may shoot flatter at the extreme ranges, (practical hunting "extreme" for these guns is 125-200yards -- surely some may challenge my "extreme", but not along with the "practical hunting" preface --), but if you learn your WMR trajectory, it will walk on the HMR for hits at those ranges if there is a good breeze. Most accurate in my Bullberry custom Contender carbine is the good ol' Winchester 40g hollowpoint. Have tried everything new that has come out in the last 15 years, and cannot better it. Haven't heard of the recalls that deadeye mentioned, but I did run into a batch that woluld not chamber in my tight-tolerance barrel. Maybe that was one of the recall problems (they did chamber in both my other "factory standard chamber" WMR rifles, and my revolvers).

I spent 6 months of last year working almost exclusively with a Savage .17HMR, accurizing it, shooting and hunting with it, experimenting with every load available. I really got to like the cartridge and gun (finally), but it does very little the WMR won't do, and when the wind kicks up, it is lost.

I've always admired the 9422, and especially the Magnum version. If I haven't talked you into keeping it, I'd like to talk you out of it.

Thank for the feedback - no plans to sell - was my first ever firearm purchase :) I was just poking around Gun Broker and was pretty amazed to see the price of the 9422M's. Looks like they are pretty well thought :s0155:

Reviving this thread to show off my newly acquired Win 9422 Magnum.

Found it at Keith's used-excellent condition. It's serial number has five digits (F870XX)after the F instead of the six you usually find out there. Didn't find this serial number series on the Winchester web site so have no idea when it was made(anyone out there have any ideas?). It's got a steel colored magazine tube instead of brass so it's at least older than the 2000s(Update: found out on the Rimfirecentral forum that it was made
approx. 1973).

Anyway, took it the range day after I bought it-very, very happy with it(so much so am thinking of getting another in 22LR:)).

P5110011_2.jpg

P5110014.jpg