JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I inherited this rifle from my father, it is extra since I already have his more favorite hunting rifle. I'm thinking about selling or trading but can't find too much information on the value of the rifle because it was likely a custom barreling on a Whitworth action. It's a 30-06 with a Bushnell 3-9. Some wear and pitting on outside of barrel.

Any ideas? Sure would appreciate.

IMG_1718.jpg IMG_1717.jpg IMG_1714.jpg IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

I would price it just like any other newer production Mauser rifle. My guess would put the value at around $400 to $500 depending on how excited a buyer was.

That's the factory barrel, or at least the script engraved on it looks just like very other one I've seen.

Sadly, I don't think it'll sell for even $400. I think they're great guns, but the market for them is super soft. The caliber, while very useful, isn't the easiest seller either. Good thing though, it looks like it has the Oberndorf style bottom metal, not the later cross bolt.

Everything I've read on the Whitworth says that the action was factory built for big-bore cartridges, but end runs were sold off to enthusiasts, manufacturers, etc, to do with what they may. The MarkX, Interarms other rifle, was barreled in the smaller bores 30-06, 270, etc.

I agree that it is not an easy-sell caliber, although it's one of the top favorite calibers. Everyone owns a 30-06, but no one wants to admit it. :s0114:

That's not quite the case. The actions were factory built as commercial Mauser 98s, and were chambered in everything from 22-250 to 458 WinMag. On the factory built complete rifles they had three or four models, with the Whitworth Express being the most popular because they were set up as a really good express rifle. Good stock lines (most with nice looking wood for the money) and great sights. The Express models were big bores (most were 375H&H and 458WM).

Like all commercial 98s, they were set up in general categories for whatever class of cartridge they were planned for. So, some were set up as standard actions (like the 30-06) with a .473 bolt face, some were for the smaller magnums (Like the 7RemMag) with a .532 bolt face and narrower front, some with the .532 face but open railed (like the 458WM), and then some for the long magnums (the 375H&H) with the .532 bolt face, 2.8" case length, and with the front ring clipped.

The 30-06 you have might have been a complete rifle that was dropped into an aftermarket stock. Or, it might have been a barreled action that was imported and then dropped into a stock. But, I think all the metal came together from the factory one way or the other.

I agree that it is not an easy-sell caliber, although it's one of the top favorite calibers. Everyone owns a 30-06, but no one wants to admit it. :s0114:
Or three . . .

I've owned a couple of interarms based on what I got out of them on trade or cash I'd say high end $400 low end $250. There are just to many good deals right now on bolt guns.

That's not quite the case. The actions were factory built as commercial Mauser 98s, and were chambered in everything from 22-250 to 458 WinMag. On the factory built complete rifles they had three or four models, with the Whitworth Express being the most popular because they were set up as a really good express rifle. Good stock lines (most with nice looking wood for the money) and great sights. The Express models were big bores (most were 375H&H and 458WM).

Like all commercial 98s, they were set up in general categories for whatever class of cartridge they were planned for. So, some were set up as standard actions (like the 30-06) with a .473 bolt face, some were for the smaller magnums (Like the 7RemMag) with a .532 bolt face and narrower front, some with the .532 face but open railed (like the 458WM), and then some for the long magnums (the 375H&H) with the .532 bolt face, 2.8" case length, and with the front ring clipped.

The 30-06 you have might have been a complete rifle that was dropped into an aftermarket stock. Or, it might have been a barreled action that was imported and then dropped into a stock. But, I think all the metal came together from the factory one way or the other.

Good information. Thanks!