JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A bunch of you kind folks have been doing an excellent job with trying to help me solve a problem with an AR .308 upper. Now i'm finding out that when I put this new upper on a working AR .308 everything functions fine. So I started to change things. First the buffer weight - nope. Then the buffer spring - nope. The new lower does not hold a mag as tightly as the old one. I tried some tape in a few areas with some success. But pretty much have the same problem. It does not want to strip of a round and put it fully into battery. It will pull the round and attempt to put a new round in but it only makes it about 4/5th of the way. I'd call the company that made it but there not in business anymore. This lower has a serial number of 00006. I've tried a few different mags and they all do the same. Ideas? And to all who have been trying to help me with this, Beer & BBQ anytime your near! I've learned a lot. Thanks guys!

Back in the day there were 2 or more different "Pattern" mags.
DPMS...is one & kind of the standard of today.
I forget the others....perhaps Armalite...idk.

What Brand is your Lower..??

Install the mag catch assembly and run your finger down the mag well. The tit on the mag catch arm must protrude slightly into the mag well. Not level. Not below. The mag catch arm must be at least flush with the mag well and hopefully slightly also protruding.

If the mag is loose or rattles once seated the mag or lower may be out of spec. Good answers already given. You can fab up extra heavy springs to help sometimes but not a good idea. Everything must be with spec to work properly. Sometimes expensive.

Hundreds of AR15 builds.

Hexmag is another. I built a 308 and wanted to try various mags. I only got a magpul and a hexmag. Both operate good. But the hexmag is TIGHT! So tight that you have to use excessive force to insert and remove. It operates but I do not like it.

Hexmag is another. I built a 308 and wanted to try various mags. I only got a magpul and a hexmag. Both operate good. But the hexmag is TIGHT! So tight that you have to use excessive force to insert and remove. It operates but I do not like it.
There is a ridge you can sand down to make it looser. YT has videos.

I thought about that but... the magpul's are cheaper and fit perfectly. When pushing the mag release they fall right out with no resistance. :s0155:

With both halves of the rifle still mated together, push the BCG as far back as it will go in the buffer tube. You should only have about an 1/8" of space between the bolt release and the bolt face.

The green stocks states on the box that a buffer tube spacer is NOT needed. I didn't have one so I took a spare buffer weight and put it in first. This did not fix the problem but it sure helped. The gun striped off the first and second rounds then did not put the third into battery. It seems that a 2" spacer should be used? Thought the spring for this stock is slightly longer. Yet it only seems longer because, "It's stretched"? Anyway, for all of you still working with me I can't thank you enough. It seems I'm getting close?

green buffer tube.jpg BR buffer tube.jpg buffer green weight.jpg IMG_1357buffer BR weight.jpg stocks.jpg IMG_1358springs.jpg IMG_1338stocks.jpg

Too bad you ain't in the PNW, plenty of folk here would help out with an examination¹ of your AR Lower Receiver.
¹ - Had to state "AR Lower Receiver" or this would end up in the gutter quotes section....
Understand. No need for the grief. Thanks. Hope to visit your neck of the woods someday.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top