JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im wanting to buy a bolt action .270 for my son. No marlin or savage. Prefer model 70 winchester, model 700BDL Remington, etc. Wanting to keep the price no more than $700 with optics. Looking for a deal so if you got one post it up as I have cash in hand... and once again, no other caliber other than .270 please. Could throw in a Ruger 10/22

I would rather spend a couple of extra bucks and avoid the entry level rifles such as savage. Would you rather drive a Kia sportage or Toyota 4runner? There you have it. As far as the 06 I am only interested in a .270

Thanks,

I would rather spend a couple of extra bucks and avoid the entry level rifles such as savage. Would you rather drive a Kia sportage or Toyota 4runner? There you have it. As far as the 06 I am only interested in a .270.
Thanks,

Now this is a funny comment .
Did you know that out of the box Savage rifles took the world championship in the UK the latter part of last year,they beat out shooters from all over the world who were for the most part using high dollar custom sticks.
Tell you what,i can meet you at the DRRC 1K range with my stock out of the box KIA 10FP LE model .308 and we can put it to the test against your superior out of the box Remington if you like...
I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what Savage has produced in the last several years.
( Thursdays are LR day,i will be there on the 29th,and probably a time or 2 in May )
I do know a couple of the guys listed below,John and i were JR. Smallbore coaches together,Stan well lets just say his military back ground may have something to do with his talent,and talent he does have along with the other members of the team.

"It seems hard to believe you can compete and win at the highest levels of long-range shooting competition with a stock factory rifle, but that's exactly what Team Savage did at the recent F Class world championships in Bisley, England. The team dominated the F-T/R division, winning a total of 14 medals at the World Championships proper and various side matches associated with the event.

Stan Pate of Milwaukie, OR,; Darrell Buell Damascus, OR; Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee WA and John Weil of Welches, OR made the trip across the Atlantic to represent the US and Savage Arms. The competition is held once every four years and features some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the globe. The matches are held over several days, at distances of 800, 900 and 1,000 yards.

The Savage Shooters used the Model 12 F-T/R from Savage Arms. This exact model can be purchased from any Savage Arms dealer and carries a suggested retail price of just $1,265. The results speak for themselves: Team Savage comes home with Seven gold medals, two silvers and two bronze from the World Championships. They also earned two gold medals and a bronze at the associated side matches, including one held in Ireland.

F-Class Individual World Championships (F-T/R)

900 yard Day 1
Stan Pate 1st (gold medal)

800 yard Day 2
Monte Milanuk 1st (gold medal)

900 yard Day 2
John Weil 1st (gold medal)

1000 yard Day 2
Stan Pate 1st (gold medal)

800 Yard Aggregate Match
Monte Milanuk 1st (gold medal)

900 Yard Aggregate Match
John Weil 1st (gold medal)
Stan Pate 2nd
Darrell Buell 3rd

Day 2 Aggregate
Stan Pate 2nd (silver medal)

Individual World Championships Grand Aggregate
Stan Pate 3rd (bronze medal)
Darrell Buell 9th
John Weil 10th
Monte Milanuk 13th

World Championship National Teams Match
Team USA 1st place... World Champions
Darrell Buell (Captain)... Gold Medal
John Weil... Gold Medal
Monte Milanuk... Gold Medal

Duke of Cambridge (900 yard match)
John Weil 1st place (gold medal)
Darrell Buell 3rd place (bronze medal)

Ireland:
Bog Oak Team Trophy
Darrell Buell, Stan Pate, Monte Milanuk, John Weil, Gold Medal

Here is a video you may want to check out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc99SiKqoJo

Whats funnier yet is guys that insist on pushing a product and hijack a thread because thats what they prefer. Nothing to do with what the original poster had asked and mentioned what he DIDNT want.... Some people:s0002:

dam guys i was just askin. maybe he had a bad one. i just got one and am liking it. but i love my remingtons the most. i dont thinks its a kia toyota ford chevy thing. just what he wants. and thats cool. i have a winchester mod 70 in 30.06 and man that thing is smoother than butter. but i dont care for 30.06 just me. but winchester made them right. i will probably stay with remington. so let him find what he wants. i do hope you find what your looking for. i think the 270 is a great round for your son too. :s0155:

dam guys i was just askin. maybe he had a bad one. i just got one and am liking it. but i love my remingtons the most. i dont thinks its a kia toyota ford chevy thing. just what he wants. and thats cool. i have a winchester mod 70 in 30.06 and man that thing is smoother than butter. but i dont care for 30.06 just me. but winchester made them right. i will probably stay with remington. so let him find what he wants. i do hope you find what your looking for. i think the 270 is a great round for your son too.

Thank You.... I fully agree about the winchesters and Remingtons... Most of them are hard to beat and like you I am just not an 06 fan either. Uh oh,,,, here we go again:s0114: I did find a Remington Model 700 CDL that is flawless...:s0155: That is what I was looking for... It was between that and and another flawless Wincheseter Model 70 Featherweight in 280. Both EXCELLENT choices..

Cheers

You've made the right choice for caliber, based on your original post, and are on the way to making the right choice for a gun your son can be proud of and will give him a lifetime of service.

The Ruger Stainless offered here is a pretty darn good buy, but if it is of the old "boat paddle" plastic stock, I'd rethink it. (The original Ruger plastic stock with the "hollowed out" buttstock, non-detachable sling loops, etc.--it was the standard offering for the stainless gun.)

I can't for the life of me understand why Ruger stuck with it so long. The buttplate is of "Super-ball" hardness, the comb is quite sharp (hard on the cheek, especially with .270 or bigger), and the sling loop arrangement robs you of the option to quickly dispense with your sling (for shooting off the bench, etc.). Ruger finally listened to all the crying and went with something more conventional and much more practical.

Another thing about Rugers that are more than a few years old: They had barrels from various manufacturers with various results. Some are stellar shooters and some are dismal. (Now as I understand it, Ruger makes their own barrels---once again they finally listened to all the crying.) I love the Ruger action: well designed and brute strong. Another thing to consider is the trigger: for more than a number of years the Ruger trigger was non-adjustable.

So, if it is a boat-paddle stock and a non-adjustable trigger, consider as an added expense an after-market stock and trigger to make the gun what it should be. (Given that you are lucky and get one of the stellar-shooting barrels.)

The Winchester 70 has likewise been a roller-coaster of quality and accuracy over the past 10 years or so. The best ones were the very first offerings of the "Classic, controlled feed" Model 70. These guns were first-rate and the best Winchester bolt guns since the pre-64's. My brother in Alaska got one of these (.30-06), and it is as good or better than a Rem 700 for out-of-the-box accuracy.

Can't fault the Savages for accuracy. But my druthers'd be a Rem 700, for all the favorable things others (and myself) have mentioned.

I have a friend in mcminnville selling a pre 64 winchester in 270. 500 cash. Or can scope it for an additional 200. Call 971-267-8002

You've made the right choice for caliber, based on your original post, and are on the way to making the right choice for a gun your son can be proud of and will give him a lifetime of service.

The Ruger Stainless offered here is a pretty darn good buy, but if it is of the old "boat paddle" plastic stock, I'd rethink it. (The original Ruger plastic stock with the "hollowed out" buttstock, non-detachable sling loops, etc.--it was the standard offering for the stainless gun.)

I can't for the life of me understand why Ruger stuck with it so long. The buttplate is of "Super-ball" hardness, the comb is quite sharp (hard on the cheek, especially with .270 or bigger), and the sling loop arrangement robs you of the option to quickly dispense with your sling (for shooting off the bench, etc.). Ruger finally listened to all the crying and went with something more conventional and much more practical.

Another thing about Rugers that are more than a few years old: They had barrels from various manufacturers with various results. Some are stellar shooters and some are dismal. (Now as I understand it, Ruger makes their own barrels---once again they finally listened to all the crying.) I love the Ruger action: well designed and brute strong. Another thing to consider is the trigger: for more than a number of years the Ruger trigger was non-adjustable.

So, if it is a boat-paddle stock and a non-adjustable trigger, consider as an added expense an after-market stock and trigger to make the gun what it should be. (Given that you are lucky and get one of the stellar-shooting barrels.)

The Winchester 70 has likewise been a roller-coaster of quality and accuracy over the past 10 years or so. The best ones were the very first offerings of the "Classic, controlled feed" Model 70. These guns were first-rate and the best Winchester bolt guns since the pre-64's. My brother in Alaska got one of these (.30-06), and it is as good or better than a Rem 700 for out-of-the-box accuracy.

Can't fault the Savages for accuracy. But my druthers'd be a Rem 700, for all the favorable things others (and myself) have mentioned.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.