JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Help! I went to clean my VR80 and I cannot remove the barrel shroud. It is supposed to twist off but I don't know if I don't have the hand strength to do it or if it is stuck on. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? Considering just taking it into a gun smith but would rather do it myself if possible. Have drenched the area with WD40 which did not help. Am considering putting it in a vice and trying some kind of wrench but afraid of damaging it. Any suggestions?
thank you!

Perhaps a use a strap wrench?
about $10-$20 depending on where you go.

You could have some corrosion binding the threads on the shroud.. that or gunk that got in there preventinf the threads from giving way. I know the shroud ratchet system is tough to get past, but once you do so with the first notch, it should give way.

thanks, I'll give it a try. I hope this isn't going to happen every time I try to remove it!
It shouldnt. But a buddy of mine has one and that ratchet system the shroud used really keeps it in place. I think it being tightened down real hard is what is keeping it in place making it seem stuck..

A cheaper option would be to keep a magazine in the shotgun, rest the shotgun between legs (for leverage) and use a rubber jar lid pad for better grip.. then twist using both hands. Thats what he did and it came off.. but without the jar lid grip his hands kept sliding and he too didnt want to mare the shroud using a normal wrench.

Success! Your technique of resting it between the legs combined with a strap wrench did the job. Took a lot of effort, but I got it! Hopefully it will be easier from now on. Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews