JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of opportunities for volunteering as armed security?

I realize that it isn't common--that's why I am asking. (I know about the liability issues, etc.)

It seems like volunteer opportunities are found in political activism or pit clean-ups. Beyond that, is there anything out there?

Can't think of anything that wouldn't require insurance to cover liability. And I assume any volunteering as armed security in that capacity would have legal issues for whatever property you're on, depending who owns it, and what the event is. As well as your and the events/land owners licensing to have armed security. Or you can just be another concealed holder like most people without any "security" label. What's your interest exactly in being armed security as a volunteer? Not sure I see the need for it, which is why I'm asking.

These days, you need insurance for any type of public event.
I am aware of the legal liabilities that event organizers, or facility owners, face.

I am simply curious if anyone knows of opportunities.

Probably the best and only example I can think of for ex-military/LEO is Team Rubicon. (though i have never done anything so my comments are only based on what I have read). If anyone has experience with them you are free to PM info if you are concerned about public endorsements or criticism.

I have no agenda for promoting one agency over another.

What I am getting here is, imagine a citizen who has military and/or police training but is no longer actively employed with either, but who is willing to continue to use their skills, and possibly their personal gear, to give back to the community (as a volunteer). Does that help clarify it?

These days, you need insurance for any type of public event.
I am aware of the legal liabilities that event organizers, or facility owners, face.

I am simply curious if anyone knows of opportunities.

Probably the best and only example I can think of for ex-military/LEO is Team Rubicon. (though i have never done anything so my comments are only based on what I have read). If anyone has experience with them you are free to PM info if you are concerned about public endorsements or criticism.

I have no agenda for promoting one agency over another.

What I am getting here is, imagine a citizen who has military and/or police training but is no longer actively employed with either, but who is willing to continue to use their skills, and possibly their personal gear, to give back to the community (as a volunteer). Does that help clarify it?

It does clarify your intentions, so thank you. I wish I could help lead you in the right direction of what you are seeking. Good luck in your search.

If you are interested in doing something like that you might want to look into a Reserve program with your local PD or SO. They don't pay much but they do offer some good opportunities.

Back when I was a Portland Police Cadet I did security details all of the time. The Cadet program is for individuals under 18, thus no firearms were allowed, but there was a similar program for people older and they had the ability to be armed. Similar to the reserve, but with no pay. Most of the guys in the program were trying to waive the 4 year degree requirement as only two in the program were needed to apply for the academy.

Can't think of anything that wouldn't require insurance to cover liability. And I assume any volunteering as armed security in that capacity would have legal issues for whatever property you're on, depending who owns it, and what the event is. As well as your and the events/land owners licensing to have armed security. Or you can just be another concealed holder like most people without any "security" label. What's your interest exactly in being armed security as a volunteer? Not sure I see the need for it, which is why I'm asking.
I agree. And there could be issues for the volunteer too. He would not have any of the real status and perogatives of a LEO, but would be trying to act like one. To many civilians that would make the volunteer seem like a vigilante.

I think I prefer to have a clean separation between private citizens and LEOs, with no confusion in anybody's minds as to which is which.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of opportunities for volunteering as armed security?

I realize that it isn't common--that's why I am asking. (I know about the liability issues, etc.)

It seems like volunteer opportunities are found in political activism or pit clean-ups. Beyond that, is there anything out there?

Texas border. ;)

You miss the action, the sense of purpose, accomplishment, worthiness, etc... Re-enlist???

You miss the action, the sense of purpose, accomplishment, worthiness, etc... Re-enlist???

At 45 years old, my age precludes me from that option. And I have a family and a solid day job.
I am not a trigger happy nutjob, and I don't have any desire to blur 'the separation between civilians and LEOs'.
I am a trained adult, willing to make a difference. I am already volunteering in some ways, but thought I would inquire about other opportunities.

I have also considered EMT certification so I could volunteer as a medic. Just another thought.

At 45 years old, my age precludes me from that option. And I have a family and a solid day job.
I am not a trigger happy nutjob, and I don't have any desire to blur 'the separation between civilians and LEOs'.
I am a trained adult, willing to make a difference. I am already volunteering in some ways, but thought I would inquire about other opportunities.

I have also considered EMT certification so I could volunteer as a medic. Just another thought.

I understand. I have the urge to serve myself. I've always gone thru a process like yours and asked what skills and knowledge I have, what I thought I could contribute, and what the opportunities are. I joined several service clubs, some i like better than others, and eventually became a volunteer for Air Life (the medical flight service). Thus putting my interest in aviation, medicine, and public speaking to good use... I then became a half-time employee, then a full-time employee and regional rep, then I quit an otherwise rewarding and honorable vocation due to conflict and office politics/bullying. Be careful what you wish for. I hope your experience is better than mine. :)

I would still suggest you look into the Pierce County Sheriff's Reserve Program or the Woodinville PD program. At least at one time "age" wasn't a real issue.

Yup, check out the reserve deputy positions. Some pay, some don't. You do the job, get the same training, but don't have to give up a job you like and get paid well for.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top