JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
UofO

"UNIVERSITY OF OREGON'S STUDENT GOVERNMENT DISCRIMINATES AGAINST STUDENT GROUP HOLDING PRO-GUN RIGHTS EVENT- Wednesday night, the University of Oregon's student government, the Associated Students of the University of Oregon (ASUO), <broken link removed> a poker night event hosted by UO's chapter of Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) amid concerns the event's pro-gun message and prizes "would make students feel uncomfortable." This is the second time ASUO has denied funding for the event.

The funding YAL requested was intended to cover the cost of pizza and rental fees— YAL promised that no ASUO money would go toward covering the event's prizes, which would include three firearms donated by local gun dealers. Additionally, YAL pledged that the winners would receive the firearms off campus and in accordance with state and federal law.

As Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) Senior Program Officer Ari Cohn said in our recent press release:

ASUO's budget is subsidized by mandatory fees paid by students … As a result, ASUO must distribute its funds in a viewpoint-neutral manner. ASUO has clearly failed to adhere to this obligation. Since ASUO is an agent of a public university, the University of Oregon administration is legally and morally required to intervene to rectify the First Amendment violations perpetrated by ASUO.

You can read the full press release over at FIRE's website. You can also join FIRE in writing to University of Oregon President Michael H. Schill to demand that expressive activity on UO's campus not be subject to viewpoint-based discrimination, either by university administrators or by ASUO in executing its delegated authority to distribute student activity fees." --
Greg Lukianoff permalink.gif

This will be interesting to watch. I'll be genuinely surprised if FIRE pulls off some kind of victory, but I'm certainly hoping they do. And, it needs to come with a very public apology to YAL along with a promise to never discriminate against them again. It's a great opportunity to turn their own "I'm a precious victim, frightened by the world, and too sensitive to allow others their point of view", against them.

Hollering at the Oregon Board of Higher Ed about an anti-gun sentiment at their flagship school?
That's what's known as: "Pizzin' in the wind."

I wish them luck, but I'm still prone to realism.

So open minded and inclusive of everyone they are....

This image sums it up:

a7b69c2e1d3a4fdd3b4d9f525636274d.jpg

So, I didn't read the entire supporting documents linked in the OP's post, but...

I think FIRE has a win-able case. Denying something because it "would make students feel uncomfortable" is hardly a good reason to deny equal support to a AUSO organization (IMHO). If they had denied them some membership status (AUSO status???) on some safety grounds or refused support because the organization's stance violated some other campus policy (public safety, guns on campus, or whatnot), the University might have a case. (In my simple opinion). Denying pizza because somebody might feel uncomfortable - thats b.s. and I would be surprised if it would actually hold up in court. The University needs a stronger argument than that to pull out a win, and hopefully they can't find it.

My opinion, and I hope I made some sense... :confused:

I have started reversing the participants in these skirmishes... Gun Rights vs. University of Oregon in this case. It puts them in the proper order ;).

Initially I was getting seriously irritated with all the Mizzou University crap. Then, after watching this idiocy spawn to other colleges, and the administrators and professors getting eaten by the monsters they are responsible for creating, I began to root for more... poetic justice IMO.

The best way to fight these bassturds is to simply turn their positions and arguments on them. This way their blatant hypocrisy and double standard stands out like a Ford Pinto at the Concourse De 'Elegance.

Last Edited:
I'm seeing this stupidity is overflowing ... what was going on in the last 20 years ...

Yoga - Can't have a class because whites may have taken culture, or some such
http://m.ottawasun.com/2015/11/20/free-ottawa-yoga-class-scrapped-over-cultural-issues

Then - Traumatized! At an IV League College.
"Columbia Student Claims To Be Traumatized By Reading About White People."
http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/20/c...be-traumatized-by-reading-about-white-people/

And
Poll: 40 Percent Of Millennials Want Speech Censored

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top