JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Drink your Ovaltine... But seriously,

We walk in the neighborhood every day,
I reckon our route is about 2.5 miles; it has some hills and a couple of duckponds, and the golf course is nearby.

We sure liked walking our Old Bird dog when we had him. We adopted him when he was four and he went on for 12 more years worth of walks with us. He was such a good dog.
It is great to be able to get out each day and walk, it's free, and you get to meet some other folks. Lots of the walkers have dogs.

The dog's get to sniff each other, and the owners get to chit chat and say hello each day (because of their dog needing to get out) it gets them out and it is good for their psyche, their energy, their Chi.

s%2F97bfcc9b-b1e2-4a5a-aced-1712ffdcd6b8_3072x4096.jpg
There was a older fellow up the road a ways on our route that we saw frequently; he had a dog that he loved, a fluffy large labradoper named "Sarah."

He was a nice guy and was always cordial to us when we happened by. He and his wife "Liv," live on the property where i used to gather milkweed and caterpillars as a boy with my grandmother to watch them change into monarchs and fly off.

We were saddened to hear of his sudden death to an illness that took him in a mere three weeks from diagnosis.

Our friend Mary, who walks with us occasionally let us know of his sudden passing.

The first thing I thought of was, "What about Sarah?" His dog will need to get out and it will be lonely for her. Mom remembered how it was when we lost dad back in 07 to an agressive (6 week from diagnosis to death cancer) and we decided to pay a visit to Liv to see if we could help with Sarah and anything else.

Mom and I walked up the steps and rang the doorbell and Sarah came charging out. Alert and Ready (I could see her through the opaque glass door,) but Liv was not home.

Mom decided to leave a note in her mailbox letting her know that we were sorry to hear of Art's death, and knew that he took Sarah out for a walk where we go every day. We offered to help and take Sarah for her daily routine because we knew it was something special and important to Art and Sarah... we were going to go anyway.

Liv gave mom a call and said "Yes," it would be a big help to get Sarah out for her walk and we arranged that when we go walking, we'd take Sarah with us and return her on our way home. So we did, and shall continue to include her in our daily outing. It'll be good for everyone.
I didn't know much about Art,
But walking through his house with Liv I saw a a flag displayed. It was the 13 folds of old Glory in a glass case.

The 13 folds represent many things and to me are: an emblem of eternity, glorifing God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost. The last fold, when the flag is completely folded (the stars are uppermost) reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust."

I knew he was a man that was kind and friendly to us, and it felt good to do something for someone that may have needed it.

As the winter closes in, remember those that need a little help around you (in particular the elderly) and that they may have a full plate of things to do, that they may not ask for, but could use a little help if you should be so kind.

Last Edited:
Great story! You're the kind of folks I like for neighbors.

2.5 miles !?!? šŸ˜® My wife gets worn out just walking 2.5 blocks. You're in a lot better shape than we are, or younger, or both. šŸ‘

I walk at least 6 miles every day. I have bad knees, ankles and back and find that if I take any days off, they start acting up.

My grandpa is currently 97 and he walked his walnut orchard every day. He unfortunately cannot do that anymore, but does get out around his retirement home every day.

I walk at least 6 miles every day. I have bad knees, ankles and back and find that if I take any days off, they start acting up.

My grandpa is currently 97 and he walked his walnut orchard every day. He unfortunately cannot do that anymore, but does get out around his retirement home every day.
You guys are really making me feel like a geezer. But if I look in a mirror ... oh, wait; never mind. šŸ˜‘

Tell me again about Ovaltine. Is that better than tequila? šŸ¤”

Heh, your grandpa clacks when he walks.. because walnuts..
Best story ever.

You guys are really making me feel like a geezer. But if I look in a mirror ... oh, wait; never mind. šŸ˜‘

Tell me again about Ovaltine. Is that better than tequila? šŸ¤”
I'm 48. Not quite a geezer, but I'm too stubborn to become one. Running/jogging puts too much stress on my joints, but walking cures all my ills. I won't stop walking for exercise until physically unable to do so.

Keeps me mentally grounded as well.

Sorry, can't help you with tequila, as I'm a Bourbon drinker.

Taking care of our elderly just seems to be the right thing. Even the little things help if that is all you can do.

Two weeks ago an elderly man drove in to my work looking for directions. I made contact with him and quickly realized he was not all there. His story was not adding up but I managed to get enough out of him to know I was not letting him drive away on his own. He had left to go to jury duty and went the wrong way on the freeway for a few hours. Many hours later we sent him off to county mental health for the night as he needed a safe place to stay and be watched. The son he was living near refused to come get him. The son further south refused to come get him. His daughter from Colorado drove out to get him but took two days to get here. Leaving him in the care of the county was okay by him as it was safe and free.

Pains me to see he was a retired doctor that most likely was forced to sell his home and was fleeced by his sons. In the end he is with family and not afraid anymore. He knew his mind was slipping as he told me when it started to happen. Sadly if any of my co-workers would have contacted him first they would have stuffed him in his car and had him on his way into the abyss. We owe our elders more than that.

Drink your Ovaltine... But seriously,

We walk in the neighborhood every day,
I reckon our route is about 2.5 miles; it has some hills and a couple of duckponds, and the golf course is nearby.

We sure liked walking our Old Bird dog when we had him. We adopted him when he was four and he went on for 12 more years worth of walks with us. He was such a good dog.
It is great to be able to get out each day and walk, it's free, and you get to meet some other folks. Lots of the walkers have dogs.

The dog's get to sniff each other, and the owners get to chit chat and say hello each day (because of their dog needing to get out) it gets them out and it is good for their psyche, their energy, their Chi.

View attachment 1751012
There was a older fellow up the road a ways on our route that we saw frequently; he had a dog that he loved, a fluffy large labradoper named "Sarah."

He was a nice guy and was always cordial to us when we happened by. He and his wife "Liv," live on the property where i used to gather milkweed and caterpillars as a boy with my grandmother to watch them change into monarchs and fly off.

We were saddened to hear of his sudden death to an illness that took him in a mere three weeks from diagnosis.

Our friend Mary, who walks with us occasionally let us know of his sudden passing.

The first thing I thought of was, "What about Sarah?" His dog will need to get out and it will be lonely for her. Mom remembered how it was when we lost dad back in 07 to an agressive (6 week from diagnosis to death cancer) and we decided to pay a visit to Liv to see if we could help with Sarah and anything else.

Mom and I walked up the steps and rang the doorbell and Sarah came charging out. Alert and Ready (I could see her through the opaque glass door,) but Liv was not home.

Mom decided to leave a note in her mailbox letting her know that we were sorry to hear of Art's death, and knew that he took Sarah out for a walk where we go every day. We offered to help and take Sarah for her daily routine because we knew it was something special and important to Art and Sarah... we were going to go anyway.

Liv gave mom a call and said "Yes," it would be a big help to get Sarah out for her walk and we arranged that when we go walking, we'd take Sarah with us and return her on our way home. So we did, and shall continue to include her in our daily outing. It'll be good for everyone.
I didn't know much about Art,
But walking through his house with Liv I saw a a flag displayed. It was the 13 folds of old Glory in a glass case.

The 13 folds represent many things and to me are: an emblem of eternity, glorifing God the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost. The last fold, when the flag is completely folded (the stars are uppermost) reminding us of our national motto, "In God We Trust."

I knew he was a man that was kind and friendly to us, and it felt good to do something for someone that may have needed it.

As the winter closes in, remember those that need a little help around you (in particular the elderly) and that they may have a full plate of things to do, that they may not ask for, but could use a little help if you should be so kind.
Your story is great, thank you. And especially because most stories nowadays are gripes and bubblegumes. Additionally your rendition
came home with a bang. I find myself looking at 83 in a couple of months. This year I drew a great elk tag in a unit I know well, Elk
season starts this coming Wednesday. I've hunted my entire life and I think my last hunt has already happened. I won't make it this
year and it seems probably never again. I have a ton of memories and I'll live on those.

Getting old is not where I want to be. I'm fortunate there are folks in my life similar to you with lending a helping hand.

Taking care of our elderly just seems to be the right thing. Even the little things help if that is all you can do.

Two weeks ago an elderly man drove in to my work looking for directions. I made contact with him and quickly realized he was not all there. His story was not adding up but I managed to get enough out of him to know I was not letting him drive away on his own. He had left to go to jury duty and went the wrong way on the freeway for a few hours. Many hours later we sent him off to county mental health for the night as he needed a safe place to stay and be watched. The son he was living near refused to come get him. The son further south refused to come get him. His daughter from Colorado drove out to get him but took two days to get here. Leaving him in the care of the county was okay by him as it was safe and free.

Pains me to see he was a retired doctor that most likely was forced to sell his home and was fleeced by his sons. In the end he is with family and not afraid anymore. He knew his mind was slipping as he told me when it started to happen. Sadly if any of my co-workers would have contacted him first they would have stuffed him in his car and had him on his way into the abyss. We owe our elders more than that.
Absolutely agree with you, We owe our elders a hell of a lot more. Let's make it so.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews