JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've camped under a tarp and while it was drier than being exposed to the weather, the wind, bugs, etc. left a lot to be desired.

I'm of the opinion if you're going to carry a shelter, it should be a tent. A tarp will DO in a lot of mild cases, but I'd hate to be in a 20 degree F area right now with a wind storm, rain, snow, whatever. I've practiced camping like this in below freezing temperatures in the snow and the rain for years, and when I wake up to the sound of the wind hitting my tent, I always think to myself how glad I am that I'm in a tent and not under just a tarp. The tent gives me a real shelter from wind, rain, bugs, etc.

Sure, a tarp is better than NOTHING, but I'd much rather have a tent, than anything else, The interior is generally much warmer and provides protection from wind and rain. I remember once camping in the mountains in the middle of winter, freezing temps, it snowed. Even without a sleeping bag, just my ski pants and basic jacket I was just fine inside the tent. Now if it was a tarp, I would have frozen to death or at least been miserable. The wind would have taken a lot of my body heat.

Or a bivy shelter.

Something that will enclose your body and gear.

Here in the Pacific NothWet, rain/snow and wind often comes in sideways.

An outer 'skin' to keep that wind and precipitation off your body (or sleeping bag/etc.), and to keep a relatively warmer layer of air around you, makes a difference. During the summer it can keep the direct sun and bugs off you.

This is my preference for a single person:

41TP7XSJ0SL._SX355_.jpg

ecotatshelter.jpg

This with a ground cover 'tarp' (can be just a bit of thicker plastic) and a foam pad/et. al. lay on to keep you insulated from the ground, works well the few times I have used in traveling on my motorcycle. I keep it with my GHB in my daily driver.

It is multi-purpose and if I have to walk home during a SHTF event, I can rest/sleep sitting up (against a tree/etc.) and keep my weapon handy while being able to wake up and look around my surroundings immediately.

That is kind of the downside of a tent; you are usually enclosed such that you cannot quickly see what is outside. If the environment has threats, then something like the Ecotat Shelter has that advantage.

The Ecotat unfortunately is not particularly easy to find. I do not believe any retailer sells these and I believe they are not made/issued anymore. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

I agree about the tent if expected inclement or severe weather. Or, if within a couple trail miles of a car or boat. For the rest of the year though, weight on the trail is important. Up to about the end of October, 30+ years of back packing, Just a tarp and hammock occasionally (along with a bed roll or sleeping bag. I Never carried a tent except for winter snow shoe travel.
That said;
This was a long gone & different era when one was able to forage wood, boughs, leaf and needle fodder to erect shelters, bedding, camp tables and other niceties if lingering in a particular area for a while.
Today, it is either Illegal or severally frowned upon, cutting flora, in most areas even though you know it will eventually be logged!
Life has sure become complex and difficult through laws and regulation. Some places you even have to pack out your own S^1T!
Here is one time the tent was handy but even then, (not allowed now) we piled boughs high beneath the tents for comfort and warmth. Notice the smoke showing the fire close to the tent opening to reflect its warmth within.
195.jpg 196.jpg
Still six to eight feet of snow left, but melting fast. One day by Santiam lake, we pitched the tents level and awoke piled up on the sides of the tents which were now on a 35 degree slope toward the still frozen lake due to Chinook accelerated melt.

I camped out one whole long cold and snowy winter under the trees in SW OR USA. About 25 years ago. A cheapo leako Wally World 5x7 tent was covered by a 12x10 green cammo plastic tarp strung up between the trees with para cord. A same size ground tarp was also used under the cheapo leako tent. Stringing the tarp soss the rain did not trap was a learning process.

It worked because I had an excellent expensive bag.. My secret weapon was Goldie. She was nice. Loved to cuttle. Only barked a little. Yellow Lab. I was building the cull pine blem blow plywood 16X34 cabin. No power. The cabin of 1,000 hand cuts. 10,000 16 penny green sinker nails. All 2x6 or heavier construction. I stayed warm and dry at night. Scrapped snow off the tarp.

The problems with rules/regs/laws/etc. while camping have mostly come from increased population.

More and more people escaping whatever or deciding to camp/hike/etc., puts more and more pressure on the outdoors. Areas get overused and abused. People do idiotic things and often there are bad results.

People complain, officials/et. al. observe the results, areas get more restrictions or are even closed off entirely (e.g., metro watersheds) and this puts even more pressure on the areas that remain.

All because humans are in general stupid animals.:mad:

This is why I have my own little snippet of woods that I own and control. It may be small, but I control it and I don't have to share it with anybody except the wild animals, and I enjoy their presence.

I've gone ultralight a lot and after a while I switched from bivvy+tarp to a lightweight tent: a SixMoon Skyscape.

Advantages: lighter overall, more spacious so I can sit up + change clothes, bug protection, stays dry from sweat/condesation unlike the bivvy, did I mention it is lighter?

Tarps are great for moisture from above but in reality, much of it comes from the ground or the air.

Tents.... and sleeping good a night is a peace time realm; yes, tents are much better than tarps for sleeping and getting out of the elements....

Now, if there are 40 American Combat Arms Soldiers or Marines pulling security....I could sleep real good.

Without Rule Of Law (WROL)...; sleeping good and/or a tent, can be a death trap.

The low-profile bivy tents are nice!

But hey, all topics do not necessarily apply to PROL...right?

:D

If you have a good bag, a hammock will keep you off the cold ground. Some come with mosquito nets. String a tarp low and close over the top and sides and you are good to go.

Tents are pretty sweet. I can pitch a tent in my sleep.

The tent I used in my younger years - still have it - was a Marmot Taku:

MARMOT-TAKU-1.jpg

It served well during storms.

Once pegged out (or weights used to hold the corners), it could be put up from the inside. I did that once in a sudden storm I was caught in at the base of the north Sister. Caught me a bit unprepared as I was foolish and did not test my gear or check the weather.

The tent and the fact that I had a synthetic 4 season bag saved my foolish posterior - I slept warm and safe that night even though I and part of my bag were soaked and it was blowing hard and snowing outside. The next morning I hiked back out and went home a little wiser.

Experience and skills are the most valuable things in survival, but sometimes good equipment can save even the foolish and unprepared. Had I lesser gear I would have at least had a rough night, or worse, possibly still be up there.

Tarps are better than nothing.
Tents are better than tarps.

A tent with a tarp over it is better than either.
Dryer & Warmer

Truth. I usually cover my tent in a tarp anyways in real bad rain. Never had an issue without but is much warmer with and much more water proof for extra piece of mind and provides a vestibule for cooking out of the rain, storing firewood, boots, other gear, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top