JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the market for a new handgun. It's going to be a Sig. I love the 226 but I would like a 45 as I have over 1,300 rounds of it. The 227 is a 45 as you probably know but my question is does the tac ops 227 feel as good as the standard 226? I haven't been able to fondle one since I can't seem to find one on the shelf anywhere. Some of the pictures I've seen look like the grip is as plain as a glock or XD.

So should I order a 227 tac ops or sell/trade my 45 rounds for 9mm and get the 226?

I have both a P226 and a P227. They both feel equally good in the hand. I will say that my P227 Tac Ops looks fine in my hands cause they are huge :) but a lot of magazine hangs out of the bottom for those with regular hands. If you decide to ditch your .45 ammo let me know, maybe we could work out a trade.

[QUArmory HSN tscopsullsBucksandBoars, post: 1334071, member: 26869"]I'm in the market for a new handgun. It's going to be a Sig. I love the 226 but I would like a 45 as I have over 1,300 rounds of it. The 227 is a 45 as you probably know but my question is does the tac ops 227 feel as good as the standard 226? I haven't been able to fondle one since I can't seem to find one on the shelf anywhere. Some of the pictures I've seen look like the grip is as plain as a glock or XD.

So should I order a 227 tac ops or sell/trade my 45 rounds for 9mm and get the 226?[/QUOTE]

NW Armory has them. I looked at both. I decided on 226 legion series. Great feel and fit.

I have both as well. I have a few 226's and just the one 227. I love them all for their various purposes. I would suggest you look at the new 226 Legion series as well. I like my 227 but at the end of the day I always gravitate back to my 226's for some reason. The 226 with the 20 round magazine is still "smaller" than the 227 , or at least it feels that way. The 227 Tacops IS an MASSIVE beast of a handgun. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I would also suggest you go 226 and pick up a 220 for the surplus .45 you have. I enjoy my 220 more than my 227 for some reason.

I have a not exactly Apple to Apple comparison. I have the P226 MK25 and 227R. Not being a fan of the e2 grips but having medium hands I replaced the 227 grips with G10s and swapped out the trigger for the short reach. Between the two I like the 227 better for a couple reasons. For one I like 45 but it's mostly the feel of the grip. It's a rounder but shorter feel than my P226 and with the extra checkering on the front strap and X5 undercut on the trigger guard I feel like Im get a better and slightly higher grip on the pistol. As said above the new legion series guns come with most of the upgrades to the frames and g10 grips so the next Sig I'll be picking up will be one of them. Probable have my MK25 up for sale here shortly.

It should take the standard 10 round magazines although I haven't actually tried. The only problem I see is that the grips are elongated and it might get in the way of properly seating the shorter 10 round magazines.

I just picked up a P220 today and I dont understand how I have overlooked this gun for so long. I have never been quite happy with the 226 grip, especially shooting one handed. The 220, however, points like a dream and I prefer the longer distance from backstrap to frontstrap and the slimmer width. I can shoot it instinctively better than anything Ive ever owned, including my 1911. Just gonna have to get more mags and faster at reloads!

I just picked up a P220 today and I dont understand how I have overlooked this gun for so long. I have never been quite happy with the 226 grip, especially shooting one handed. The 220, however, points like a dream and I prefer the longer distance from backstrap to frontstrap and the slimmer width. I can shoot it instinctively better than anything Ive ever owned, including my 1911. Just gonna have to get more mags and faster at reloads!

If you're looking at a SIG in .45 Auto you really should put hands on a 220. I was between the 227 and 220 a while back. I have medium-large hands and the 227, to me, was uncomfortably chunky. I ended up with the p220 Dark Elite, which is now my absolute favorite firearm.

Obviously the 227 has the lead in capacity, but ten round mags are readily available for the 220 and I don't miss those four rounds at all.

All the pistols you mention here are superb and you really can't go wrong.

I have two P226s (9MM and 40SW), a P229 (40SW) and a P220. Size wise the P220 feels the best in my hand because I have small to medium size hands. I just couldn't get into the P227 since I would only gain two more rounds of 45 in the P227.

314qly0.jpg