JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys -

I spend a fair amount of time browsing the forums here but I rarely post. Maybe I'll get in a habit of posting more.

I have a 12 gauge Remington 870 with the standard 28" vent rib barrel. The barrel is super long for me given that I'm only about 5'7" on a good day. My question is can the barrel be shortened back to one of the bridges connecting the sight rail and the barrel? Obviously anyone could just hack it off where ever but can a gun smith shorten it, say 4 9/16"(which would land it on one of the bridges), install a new bead and accurately re-thread the barrel for the standard Remington chokes?
I've been searching for a simple replacement barrel but I can't find one that is close enough to what I want. Also, any guesses on what a procedure like this would cost if it can be done correctly? I can shoot the gun well as is but proportionally it is enormous to me and I feel that I would be able to move from clay to clay... Or bird to bird quicker and with more ease if it lost some weight and length in the front end.
Any thoughts and opinions would be great. Thanks!

PS... If you have a shorter barrel for sale let me know! 20"-25" I'd be interested in.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top