JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the market for a new rifle, one that's caught my eye is the new guide gun by Ruger in 338 Win. Ruger® Guide Gun Models (even though that stock makes me want to throw up). It would be primarily a bear gun used in the coast range and a deer might get popped from time to time but I'm also planning an Alaska trip for next year and am going to take my new rifle, whatever it may be. I really like something's about this gun, one of which is the short barrel my fear is I know shorter barrels cause a loss of velocity; would I be spittin into the wind hoping real magnum preformance out off a .338 with a 20" barrel? I'll never shoot at anything past 300 yds with gun but don't want to buy a big heavy magnum that preform as such

Thanks,
BBB

Unless the kind of hunting you do requires clearing rooms that short of a barrel isn't worth it. There will be a signifigant velocity loss. Magnum cartridges have alot of slow buring powder to burn. A 24-26 inch barrel would do a much better job burning all that powder.

Do you really need a magnum? A 338 federal could get by with a shorter barrel and not loose so much velocity. What about the good ol' 30-06? There is not much it can't do.

There are plenty of short barreled rifles out there in the .06, .308 and various 7mm calibers that fall in the so called "light weight mountain" rifle category, so why not? In reality were giving up a fist full of powder burn with those choices also, but you'll not hear someone say "damn I wish my rifle weighed three more pounds so I could get another 150 FPS out of her".

Here's the data found for barrel length VS. velocity.

338 Win mag
Winchester brass
Federal GM215M primers
Reloder 19....73 grains
250 grain Partitions
27 inches.....2806 fps
26 inches.....2787 fps
25 inches.....2761 fps
24 inches.....2743 fps
23 inches.....2716 fps
22 inches.....2697 fps
21 inches.....2676 fps
20 inches.....2656 fps
150 fps from 27 inches to 20 inches.

This data shows for 250 grain bullets, if you need the difference in speed take a look at the 200 grain slug, their still running at around 2850 FPS, not to shabby considering that's outperforming either the .308 and -06 while still carrying over 20 grains of bullet weight and diameter.

While I'd agree that the old -06 is as good of choice as any, (she's my all time favorite) you'd be sacrificing there as well as in any short barreled rifle.:peace:

There are plenty of short barreled rifles out there in the .06, .308 and various 7mm calibers that fall in the so called "light weight mountain" rifle category, so why not? In reality were giving up a fist full of powder burn with those choices also, but you'll not hear someone say "damn I wish my rifle weighed three more pounds so I could get another 150 FPS out of her".

Here's the data found for barrel length VS. velocity.

338 Win mag
Winchester brass
Federal GM215M primers
Reloder 19....73 grains
250 grain Partitions
27 inches.....2806 fps
26 inches.....2787 fps
25 inches.....2761 fps
24 inches.....2743 fps
23 inches.....2716 fps
22 inches.....2697 fps
21 inches.....2676 fps
20 inches.....2656 fps
150 fps from 27 inches to 20 inches.

This data shows for 250 grain bullets, if you need the difference in speed take a look at the 200 grain slug, their still running at around 2850 FPS, not to shabby considering that's outperforming either the .308 and -06 while still carrying over 20 grains of bullet weight and diameter.

While I'd agree that the old -06 is as good of choice as any, (she's my all time favorite) you'd be sacrificing there as well as in any short barreled rifle.:peace:

Thank you Salmonriverjohn, this is a caliber i had been interested in for a while and now seeing this info regarding short BBL I am more convicted in my decisions. I had heard many times from various sources who have served in combat roles that they have seen some amazing results out of lighter shorter rifles, but i had not seen any figures to back up those claims until now.

Love those light, fast and super handling "Mountain Rifles". I have four, each with short barrels.

*** Browning X-Bolt .223.............18"
*** Browning A-Bolt 7mm-08........20"
*** Browning A-Bolt 300WM.........20"
*** Rem. 700 Mount. Rifle 30-06...20"

Will be testing "Hodgdon Superformance" powder later this spring with my new chronograph.
My hope is that I can lessen the effects of having a short barrel.

Hope to post test results in May.

BBB:

Want a .338 with a shorter than average market length barrel, fine stock and such? Contact SDR on this site (also a sponsor/advertiser: Dave's Palisades Auto Repair), and see if he still has the Winchester Model 70 I sold him a year or so ago. He's been trying to sell it ever since his son decided on something else. When I had it, it was custom wood stocked by one of the last old-time riflemakers in the region, H&K gun works in Forest Grove. Kurt Mueller is the proprietor now, but his father stocked that gun before he passed away. Primo stuff. They also built my Sako .221 Fireball.

When I saw the gun for sale at the Portland show a couple months ago, it had been outfitted with a quality synthetic stock, but the Mueller wood was offered with it. The gun is also magnaported (cuts recoil a bit, muzzle jump more). If I recall correctly, the barrel is either 22 or 23" :maybe shorter. (Factory Winchester, post-64, but shortened probably at the same time it was ported, polished and blued).

Please note: this is not an ad for the gun. I don't have it. I just saw someone wanting something I knew where to get. It was priced at a near-steal for what is delivered. Good luck!

My personal choice for those hunts in Alaska has been the .35 Whelen.
I built mine for an all around deep forested area hunts in Alaska. I started with a Winchester made P17, Hart barrel, Timney trigger and a nice piece of Walnut. I didnt put a scope on it, rather I used Classic Lyman peeps I picked up made back in the early 60's.
Very happy with the .35 whelen.

.35 Whelen: overlooked, misunderstood, vastly underrated

Then again... Really hard to go wrong with the .338 in any configuration. ( I own a couple different types and wanting more!)
With that set up that you are looking at doing I would try the 210grain offering.

Just my 2 cents.

I used to have four 338 win mags - now I only have a 338-06 and my 9.3X62 mauser. I feel that inside of 300 yards that 9.3 would do anything I asked of it within reason. I have a interarms magnum action online for sale because I cant imagine much being better for elk inside of 300 yards than that 9.3. Just my opinion.

James Ruby

I have a Remington 700 in 338 RUM with a 20" barrel. 1 1/2" groups out at 300 yards. I wanted to have something neat for coast range elk that wasnt a lever action or a single shot number 1.

If you are wanting a shorter barrel, but are concerned with the velocity loss and resulting impact engergy loss, shoot a heavier bullet. Or just get a 45-70 like others suggested...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top