JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anbody have any ideas on how to save our outdoor shooting areas from being closed or to open them back up?I know that the FS and the BLM have been closing alot of shooting areas down.So how about some ideas on how to stop them and any ideas on how to get closed ones open again?:huh::confused:

I can't speak to your exact case, but some years ago, one of the local outdoor ranges operating in the angeles national forest (near Los Angeles, CA) did not have their use permit renewed... Largely because of an anti-gun agenda by the then forest supervisor.

What stemmed from this was a nearly 2 year campaign of constant involvement, writing letters, making phone calls, sending faxes, making appointments at the office. Where literally for that entire amount of time, all that happened was angry shooters called and complained about the range being closed. Their inboxes (both physical and e-mail) were stuffed with envelopes, higher-ups at the forest service were written letters, called and e-mailed. Pretty much to the point where the forest service was nearly unable to function day to day. At this point, a few of the local congressmen got involved and the supervisor caved, I believe the quote was "what do I need to do to get the dogs off".

At which point the permit was renewed, and in fact the authority to issue and maintain that permit was handed off to another person, someone who was more sympathetic to gun owners.

Easiest thing that can be done is to keep the places clean. The main reason I hear for these shooting areas to get closed down is that they end up looking like illegal dumps. With everything from old appliances and tvs to just piles of broken glass and cans all over.

Joe Link (the owner here) has even gone so far as to offer a subscription to people who will go out and help clean up spots.

Easiest thing that can be done is to keep the places clean. The main reason I hear for these shooting areas to get closed down is that they end up looking like illegal dumps. With everything from old appliances and tvs to just piles of broken glass and cans all over.

That's a fact - I have seen photos of some of the stuff dropped off on state and federal lands and it is downright scary (barrels of solvent, batteries, cans with mysetery stuff in them) and a lot of it gets shot up by idiots. Takes a lot of money to clean up that crap.

Does anbody have any ideas on how to save our outdoor shooting areas from being closed or to open them back up?I know that the FS and the BLM have been closing alot of shooting areas down.So how about some ideas on how to stop them and any ideas on how to get closed ones open again?:huh::confused:

Is this a serious question?
Easy answer is pick up as much garbage as you bring and try to get everyone you see at these holes to be responsible.
Did you know that shooting at a tree is illegal? It's government property and shooting at it is destroying it
One spot I shoot at,the ditch is full of shot shells...??? Lay a tarp down and take them home TO YOUR GARBAGE. Don't expect the chain gang to do it.
And don't shoot passers by.
Just a few respect things

Well "we" ,me included , shoot these appliances . But I'm not so sure some of the shooters don't bring it out
I guess we should drag the stuff to a pile at least,instead of shooting at it
You really don't have to tell us that "you" don't shoot them,I'm being general about this

Big problem is that is not the shooters that are doing most of the dumping.

So the question is how to keep the illegal dumping from going on.

I think Clackamas County (Oregon) has a "Dump Stoppers" program where you can report illegal dumping. I know we (people on this site) are not a bona fide organization, but maybe getting folks here aware of programs like that will help the feds know that not all shooters are causing problems.

Edit: found their site http://www.clackamas.us/dumpstoppers/

It is sad to visit these sites and see the build up of shot up glass bottles, cans and other targets laying all over the place. I guess a lot of folks just don't understand that these locations will be closed down if they become dumps.
I don't know what the solution is since changing peoples behavior is very difficult like trying to get a teenager to clean up his/her room.

Maybe there needs to be a man at the gate that will hand you a plastic bag and only let you go in if you promise to bring out a full bag of dumped crap.

Kudos to the members of this forum that take the time to visit these sites and clean them up. Thats impressive.

Maybe the authorities should set up a text or email hot line. If you see the yahoo's dumping and shooting it up, you could send their license plate number and they would get a nice warning letter. That might deter a few.

I shoot up on Goat Mt. I always take a big garbage bag with me and pick up as much small crap as I can, Then I take it to work and dump it in the garbage. Removing just one bag of garbage really helps..

Well "we" ,me included , shoot these appliances . But I'm not so sure some of the shooters don't bring it out
I guess we should drag the stuff to a pile at least,instead of shooting at it
You really don't have to tell us that "you" don't shoot them,I'm being general about this

So do you pack it out or not?

I shoot at several places in the Olympic Natl Forest and routinely pack out several 30gal trash bags worth of trash, none of which is even mine to begin with. I even unintentially stuck my (gloved) hand into a pile of human crap one time while doing it. If you want to shoot on public land, this is the price you pay. Pick up your junk and everyone else's, because it seems like most shooters couldn't care less.

Please tell your pals up in the Sequim area to pack out whatever they shoot up, unless you enjoy all of the gated-off public property that WE are supposed to be able to have easy access to.

I tell you.. What I'm really interested in is any stories of people asking other shooters to pick up their trash on public property. I've never caught anyone in the act of dumping/shooting, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to challenge anyone.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top