JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How's it going everyone! A few questions for you all. I know someone selling a S&W 5906 9mm for $400 with a few mags and a holster. They also have a Ruger P85 9mm for $330 with a few mags. Are these decent prices? I've read some great reviews about both. Would greatly appreciate all comments with your experiences with them!

Depending on the condition, I would say that the prices are quite fair.

They are both high quality pistols that are built like tanks.

If you can afford them both, get them!

Wow, can I add to this thread. I have a 5906 and two P89's (pretty much the P85). The 5906 is a TANK! Accurate, clean and sexy (IMHO). The Ruger P-series is unstoppable but honestly not much to look at. Either one of these pieces are a great and TOTALLY reliable addition to your collection.

Thanks again guys! I'm highly considering picking up the 5906. It's my boss who has it so I know it's in good condition. If I get it, it'll be my first pistol and eventually carry piece.

I sold my Ruger P89 (a updated version of the P85) and 7 mags for $350 four years ago... so I wouldn't say its a killer deal but an OK deal. The P85 should be marked with a 'MlII' if it had been updated (a safety recall) The P series pistols are reliable pistols with typically long heavy triggers but will shoot any ammo its fed.

From Ruger's PDF about the modification:

We are installing a safety modification that replaces the: safety and firing pin mechanism of the
original Ruger P85 9mm pistols, manufactured between 1987-1990. This modification does
not apply to any P85 which has " MKIIR" stamped on either the right or left safety; the
"MKIIR" identifies that the safety modification has already been installed. The modification
also does not apply to any other model P-Series pistol (including the P85MKII), as this
safety system is installed in all other models at the time of production.
All Ruger P85 pistols should be fitted with this new safety system because a P85 pistol fitted
with the new safety system will not accidentally discharge when the safety/decocker lever is
engaged if the firing pin is broken in a particular way. That's very important! It can help
prevent accidents caused by the user's failure to take the basic safety precaution of always
keeping the pistol pointed in a safe direction, especially when loading, unloading or decocking.
The safety modification consists of modifying the pistol internally to accept the new safety
system, there is no alteration to the frame itself. It is installed at no charge at our factory. You
pay only charges to ship the gun to us, we will pay the return shipping charges. Upon completion
of the safety modification and the return of your pistol, we will include a P15/10 10-round
magazine (a retail value of $29.40) at no charge to compensate you for your shipping charges.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top