JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I bought a nice PSS model Remington 700, in .308. It was a police rifle, and has had a few rounds through it, but the barrel is nice and it still shoots well. The trigger is good, the optics are fantastic. However, I am thinking about finding a gunsmithing expert here in western WA who knows this type weapon well, and can give it a nice "tune up" so that the bolt operates a bit smoother, and the groups are a bit tighter. Yes, of course I need to practice more, also. Any suggestions on who might be a good gunsmith to inquire with, or knows this weapon well are welcomed. Any tips or tricks on this gun are also welcomed, like what is the best way to add magazine capacity to the standard. I know there are a lot of you Remington 700 owners out there... I just want to tap into that knowledge base.

Clean the bore really well. Odds are there is copper fouling present. Once this is removed most rifles shoot tighter groups. Your trigger is adjustable as well. Search online for instructions on trigger adjustment, this helps groups also.

Two options, keep it as a practice rifle. You can achieve some pretty long range shots with a PSS or SPS 700....or rip the action out of it and throw the rest of the rifle away as your going to want to order bottom metal from Badger, new barrel, trigger, tactical bolt, chassis, rings, optics.....

4 or 5 grand later you will essentially have an AI or like weapons system. Welcome to the long range club.

I have one, adding a mag is quite expensive, it's actually cheaper to buy a Savage with all the gadgets on it.
learn to shoot w/ your rem first without the add-ons and save your money for now
any decent rifle smith can do the work you want but I see little need for it at this point

The rifle you have is better than you, and will be better than you for quite some time. Easy stuff is a Timney trigger, stiff bottom metal (if you are compelled to "add something"). Still, these significant additions will be only "magic feathers" (think Dumbo) for you until your skill develops. If you think you can fly, you can fly.

I am curious as to your desire for more magazine capacity. I surmise combat is not in your near future. I would pray that combat is in nobody's near future. In my way of thinking, desire for more magazine capacity conflicts with the pursuit of accuracy. I am reminded of my recent experience with chaperoning a 9 year-old boy at a gun show (he has learned to shoot with some respectable skill at my home beginning with a single-shot .22). He is attracted to his recent discovery of semi-automatics, and kept asking, "how many does that one hold?" (referring to magazine capacity in various auto-22's he saw). I very politely asked him, "Why? Do you plan on missing a lot?"

The gentlemen here who have emphasized practice and familiarity (and precision handloading) are handing you the best advice. No significant smith work on the gun is necessary at all, and no such investment could ever be measured for result until you have achieved the very best you can do with the fine gun you already have. A smooth bolt will come with more use (why pay somebody to polish it?). Your choice of equipment was impeccable. Match it with impeccable skill. THEN look for an improvement in both theaters of impeccability.

The rifle you have is better than you, and will be better than you for quite some time. Easy stuff is a Timney trigger, stiff bottom metal (if you are compelled to "add something"). Still, these significant additions will be only "magic feathers" (think Dumbo) for you until your skill develops. If you think you can fly, you can fly.

I am curious as to your desire for more magazine capacity. I surmise combat is not in your near future. I would pray that combat is in nobody's near future.

The gentlemen here who have emphasized practice and familiarity (and precision handloading) are handing you the best advice. No significant smith work on the gun is necessary at all, and no such investment could ever be measured for result until you have achieved the very best you can do with the fine gun you already have. A smooth bolt will come with more use (why pay somebody to polish it?). Your choice of equipment was impeccable. Match it with impeccable skill. THEN look for an improvement in both theaters of impeccability.
I can only say WOW very well put SPITPATCH !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top