JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,
I have a Remington 870 youth model that I bought new and it has some type of black finish on it that isn't blueing. I accidently left it in the garage for a month after we used it hunting and it is all surface rusted. Just a fine brownish powder showing through the black. I would like to get it refinished because it was my son's first shotgun. I live in the Albany area. Is there a gun smith that does refinishing around here.
Thanks,
Craig

I know what you mean. That rough finish is the worlds worst gun finish. We fixed ours with Cerakote to look better than new and no more rust problems. If you PM me I can tell you who does some really nice work.

It's called remcote, I think. Remington came up with it in the 90's. Blast it off and parkerize, from there you can leave it or coat it with your choice of paint products.

You can even choose a different color if you want.

3679958818_f96e55d984.jpg

Duracoat REM870 Black I did this myself. You would need a Beadblaster to remove the old finish and rust and to prep the surface. I did mine with 400 grit sand paper because I have some nasty scratches on the receiver to fill in.

This is what my 870 Express looks like after I did the new finish and upgraded to old style Wingmaster stocks.

Before photos

870Fieldbeforeleftside_zpsc185ec4f.jpg

870Fieldbeforerightside_zps34093827.jpg

After stock upgrade and Duracoat REM870 Black coating

receiver_zpsbc0b90d1.jpg

sideview_zpse010ada8.jpg

barrel_zpse7444721.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR