JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is it possible to cut/reset a Savage 110/111/116 barrel chambered in 30-06 down to .308?

I have a Savage Model 111 based project I am building that will leave me with a perfectly good/new 30-06 barrel.

I would like to be able to make use out of this barrel on another project that has a short model 11 action. So .308 would be the way to go.

I realize I could also sell the 30-06 and buy a .308 but I like knowing my options.

setting back the barrel involves a bit of lathe work, but is the only acceptable method of converting to 308. the face and the shoulder will have to be moved forward and the chamber recut. you may be better off economy wise just buying a new barrel.

The 30-06 can be cpnverted to 308 with an insert. From the little I have read they are not well regarded.

Well no the accuracy suffers as the insert causes the bullet to travel way to far before engaging the rifling and will actually slam the slug into the lands at must to high of speed.

Which is why I asked about recutting the barrel to fit the new chambering.

Since you're in Silverton, I would call Ole's gun shop in Salem and ask to talk to Kevin. (the gunsmith there)
He is VERY good, and I'm sure he can do it.
It will still need to be reamed to accommodate the .308 shoulder angle, but that is no problem.
I would set up a few dummy rounds with your favorite bullet for the .308, so he can get an idea of the freebore you want with this chamber.

Good luck!

It would need to be measured to see if there was enough meat left on the barrel after removing enough of the original barrel to recut the .308 chamber while maintaining a proper torque shoulder, etc. Without having the measurements of the barrel on hand, I don't know if there's enough or not. I will say that if you have the barrel shortened, you will then have to have a new stock, as the barrel probably won't fit the factory barrel channels on your existing stocks.
My suggestion would be to sell the barrel and buy a replacement...

As a disclaimer, I am not currently working as a gunsmith, but did spend 14 months at school for it in Denver, and spend a few years working at the trade...

The 30-06 can be cpnverted to 308 with an insert. From the little I have read they are not well regarded.

Well no the accuracy suffers as the insert causes the bullet to travel way to far before engaging the rifling and will actually slam the slug into the lands at must to high of speed.

Which is why I asked about recutting the barrel to fit the new chambering.

Not to mention the fact that these "chamber adapters" also have a tendency to come loose and get ejected with the spent case.

Just out of curiosity, what's today's price on a Savage barrel in.308? Versus the labor cost to cut and chamber an existing barrel?

Not to mention the fact that these "chamber adapters" also have a tendency to come loose and get ejected with the spent case.

Just out of curiosity, what's today's price on a Savage barrel in.308? Versus the labor cost to cut and chamber an existing barrel?

Probably same price/a little more to get a new barrel. I'm actually listing an ER shaw threaded here shortly since I'm changing directions on the build I'm doing. Threading alone will run you around this

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top