JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm not sure which forum is best for this question, forgive me if it should be in reloading.

I have a pound of Pyrodex Pistol and no black powder arms.

I want to load up some .38 or .357 and shoot them out of a GP-100. I think it would be fun.

Any tips? How much powder and how to weigh / measure?

I don't really know anything about BP, but have heard somewhere that air gaps over the powder or too much compression is bad.

Am I nuts?

I don't think you're nuts at all. I've never done what you're thinking, but I've certainly considered it.

I believe you want to fill the case with black powder to where the base of the seated bullet would be, but I have ZERO experience and my opinion should be worth that much.:D

Maybe @AndyinEverson can help out here.

I was thinking I would use a .38 case as a measure and dump the Pyrodex into .357 case. I'm thinking that will not overcompress the charge and ensure no airspace ... but what do I know (grin)?

Last Edited:
I'd try about 20-25 grains of Pryodex with Cream of Wheat as a filler for a starting load.
You are correct in not waiting a air gap or over compression.
Andy
Thanks Andy! I was posting my last at the same time as you.

So I use a standard loading scale to measure the powder and not some form of volume device?

the Holy Black is a volume amount, don't need no steeeenking scales.....
on the other hand, Pyrodex is NOT the Holy Black. In my old HBP days I was unable to develop any appreciation for the stuff.

Do a little reading to confirm your concern for caution.

Good luck.

This is going to be a longer post than I want but here it goes.

I have done this a fair amount but take what i say with a grain of salt. Also if it were me and putting them through my gp100 I would FULLY disassemble and clean with soapy water afterwards. The old guns were designed with black powder in mind. I can shoot my Uberti 51 conversion as much as I like with black but your gp100 cylinder will probably start to drag pretty quickly.

I pan lube my bullets with a bp lube. A thing to note is modern bullets grease grooves are not as deep often times as bullets designed for bp. If you don't want to pan lube I would get a squirt bottle of Balistol and keep squirting the cylinder and bore. If you don't accuracy will drop off sharply after the first couple shots.

Lastly there is a cheap black plastic powder flask at Bi-Mart that throws the perfect charge for 38 special. I can't remember which one at the moment. I would strongly recommend Mike Venturino's book Shooting Sixguns of the Old West. Its basically half a black powder reloading manual and half history book but he talks about things like proper amount of compression.

As always do your own homework with reloading.

IIRC, Hickock45 recently made a movie about shooting some kind of Glock with a BP load - NOT Pyrodex, though. It worked - just. As an avid shooter of BP AND Pyrodex [when I run out of the Holy Black], I can advise you that Pyrodex WILL rot the almighty cr*p out of your stainless OR regular steel barrel and other gun innards in short order if it isn't cleaned up, again, in short order. I recently posted on muzzleloadingforum.com about a guy here in yUK trying to sell his otherwise pristine Ruger Old Army that had a bore pitted from end to end from leaving it uncleaned after a Pyrodex session a couple of months previously.

Needless to say, given the rarishness of the ROA these days, he was asking premium money for a wreck, and AFAIK, still has it. Sure, it shoots, but like a gun that has a bore like the inside of old sewer pipe. I advised him to have it smoothbored out to .460" and get Jeff Tanner to make him a specific mould. At 20 -25 yards he would never notice the difference, given that you can really cram the load on a ROA.

Last Edited:
Trade/sell the Pyrodex and buy a lb of Bullseye or whatever.38 powder you prefer.
I am a BP shooter (and use Pyrodex) but would NEVER mess with it for a smokeless gun/round just because I had a lb. of it with no other use.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR