JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always a good idea to buy a box or brick of your preferred .22lr ammo when its around ... Its still a scarce item where I live.
When I see .22 available for sale , if I have the funds I buy what I can.
Andy

.22 LR is pretty plentiful right now in SE PA. CCI SV & Automatch are the bulk of what I shoot (and what my 22s seem to prefer). I'm hoping to run across a brick or two of Aguila super extra SV one of these days to compare it with the CCI.

My favorite stuff in the days of old was the 1000 round bricks of Winchester M22. Stuff was fairly well priced ($40 back then a brick) and cycled nearly perfect out of semis. Not overly dirty either.

Nowadays. I mostly shoot Remington Thunderbolt. As I am able to find it.

Still cheapest thing to plink with.

A little off topic but if anyone thinks the hoarding days are over: yesterday I went to Newberg Bimart to check my lucky number (it wasn't). I stopped at the ammo counter to check the weekly sale. They had the 525 boxes of Federal .22lr! I was more interested in the Blazer brass 9mm at $10 so I left the .22 alone. I went back after dinner to get more of the 9 and saw the .22 was gone already. The gal at the counter said the "usuals" had come in and cleaned them out again.

I was in Dick's sporting goods in Eugene yesterday and they had shelves of .22 ammo, with no limit on purchase amounts, I bought 4 325 count boxes of Auto-Match @24.99 each. They had lots of other ammo but I didn't look past what I wanted.

I just ran a box of the new browning 22 lead round nose stuff through my Walther p22 and it worked flawlessly. This gun hasn't worked with anything but mini mags so I'm excited to find something cheaper (and more available) that it likes. It cost me 30 bucks for a bulk pack of 400 rounds at adventure sports in lynnwood.
Browning lrn is the new mini mag!

For what purpose?

If for plinking, then whatever is the cheapest that works in the gun you are shooting, and I can just about guarantee that this will be different for every gun, especially semi-autos.

For hunting?

Generally you want an adequately accurate hollow point that expands at the ranges you are using it for, from the gun you are shooting from - usually under 100 yards.

What expands from an 18" 10/22 rifle barrel may not expand when shot from a handgun - especially at the longer ranges.

Pick several different brands and types of expanding .22 RF ammo and watch the gel test performance from a firearm similar to what you want to use.

Then get some samples of it and try it out to see if it works, not just for cycling but also accuracy.

Again, different guns like different ammo for function and accuracy - you are not going to know what your gun prefers until you try.

I've long been a fan of Remington Yellow Jackets, a hyper velocity round! Remington lists muzzle velocity at 1,500fps (without stating barrel length)!
They have always worked perfectly for me, I think that the truncated cone bullet design just always feeds.
They can always turn a big ground squirrel into red mist!
I sent a box with my granddaughter when I gave her a SR-22.
I couldn't even suggest where to find them, though.
I used to use the Yellow Jackets in my Woodsman...until they bent the firing pin and fubared the slide spring. The gun Smith who repaired it mentioned the hyper velocity rounds were a no-no for older 40's & 50's semi autos. Made sense so I use the lower velocity CCI 's and works great. Just a thought for anyone shooting the relics.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top