JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, I'm looking into some of these Practical Rifle matches but they're hard to find. On top of that they range greatly in how they are run and rules.
Does anyone know a list of of matches around the county or more specifically the west coast or even more specifically northwest?

My personal issue is that my rifle is slightly over 15 lbs. unloaded. Some of these matches have positions where you have to fire from the standing position and this pretty much puts me out of contention.

I've been looking at Steel Safari match in NM and CO.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Are you talking about British style PR or American.
Most US PR matches are more like IPSC with long guns out to 300 yrds or so.
The British style matches are usually referred to as "sniper" or "precision rifle" matches.

TCGC in the Portland area has a PR match which is more like IDPA with rifles/carbines. Ranges from 2-330 yrds. Two sniper matches a year.
APRC in Albany has a three gun match with rifles/carbines.

I have not been to any other regular matches.

They're held out here all the time. Most of them get listed in this forum www.westcoasttactical.com (these guys may not talk much but over 80% are competitors and know what they're doing). You have to sign up for the matches as soon as they're listed if you want a guranteed spot... it's gotten really popular in the last coupple years. All the practical matches I've done require position shooting (most now even require weak side position shooting). You may look into building a slightly lighter rifle. Here's a few pics from local matches... yes, they really do exist.

017.jpg

016-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

017-3.jpg

Matches are also listed in the forums at www.snipershide.com

See you out there.

First, thanks Lange for your reply. Truth Is I'm not sure what kind of match I'm looking for. Still need to learn more about both. Actually, I didn't even know there were two types. Both sound very interesting but I guess I need to find which one my particular rifle will fit into.

Secondly, thanks for the website. It didn't come up in any of my searches so far. I figured a lighter rig would suit this kind of shooting better, and maybe I will build one, but for now I have to use what I have. My newest only has about 200 rounds through it. So in the mean time I'm just on the look out to find a fun match I can join in on with what I have.

Thanks for all the info! Keep it coming!

No problem... you may find F-class matches to be well suiited for your rifle. They are pleanty of fun, and really allow you to learn wind reading (at least how subtle changes in wind can effect bullet impact). Once you start in on the long range practical matches you'll really be hooked as they take the sport of long range shooting to a whole new level (a very 3 dimensional experience).

The F Class matches are fun. A lot of good people and good shots. I've definately learned a lot. Practical rifle seemed interesting for the exact reason you stated. It'd be nice to get more 3D, move around a bit and shoot from a mix of different positions.
As challenging as F Class compition is,
shooting 60-80 over the same course, well, leaves wanting a little more variety.

What's your current setup? If the stock's too heavy maybe you could sell it and replace it with a lighter one... or if the barrel's too heavy maybe you could replace that... The cheapest way I know of to build a competitive long range rifle is off a Savage if you do decide on a new build. I've done many of these but don't own any savages currently.

My late Savage in 7wsm (12.5 pounds with scope and bi-pod)...
IMG_1874.jpg

I have the Savage FTR. 30" bull barrel, wood laminate stock, accutrigger, scope w/ 20moa base and bipod. 16lbs When it's all done. I'd post a picture but I'm on the road and my iPhone won't let me do that. I haven't seen to many modified versions of this rifle. Although I'm sure a lot are out there. I've heard some complaints on the stock but it sure looks good and be a shame to swap out.

Since the Savage barrels can be swaped out you may want to buy another barrel (maybe even in another cartridge), that would be much lighter. A 24" light palma contour would save allot of weight (I don't think your stock is unreasonably heavy anyhow). You could get one ready to install from Benchmark Barrels (they're in Arlington, WA) for $395 (stainless). I've always been impressed by their barrels and yes I've used many of the big name brands. Then you'd have a real switch barrel, one for F-class, target matches, and one for the long range practical shooting. Just a thought.

We recently put an offer in on a house in the puget sound area. I would really like to know if there are any practical rifle matches (bolt gun or semi auto) anywhere around the sound. I would like it if I could leave early, arrive in time for the match, and drive home all in the same day..so, I guess I'm hoping for matches within an hour and a half or so from Seattle/Tacoma/Gig Harbor. I posted on AR15.com in the Washington state hometown section and didn't get anything.

The matches shown above with the bolt guns would work out just fine. I checked the westcoasttactical site and the most recent calendar there under events was from 2007.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks very much for your help.

No, you don't have to be a member to shoot, but you do have to attend a safety briefing prior to shooting. The briefing is usually on the friday afternoon prior to the match, and has you run though something like a match stage at the end.

With the club allowing non members to shoot, the liability issues required that they do something to prove that they require that people know the rules, and can safely handle a firearm while moving around and shooting at targets at various distances from unusual positions.

The matches there are the closest thing to real world use of your rifle that you will find..very good training.

The December match will be a night match, and because of the obvious safety issues with having people fire like that in the dark, no new shooters will be allowed to shoot in the night match. However, they will allow people to observe as long as they have eye and ear protection.

No, you don't have to be a member to shoot, but you do have to attend a safety briefing prior to shooting. The briefing is usually on the friday afternoon prior to the match, and has you run though something like a match stage at the end.

With the club allowing non members to shoot, the liability issues required that they do something to prove that they require that people know the rules, and can safely handle a firearm while moving around and shooting at targets at various distances from unusual positions.

The matches there are the closest thing to real world use of your rifle that you will find..very good training.

The December match will be a night match, and because of the obvious safety issues with having people fire like that in the dark, no new shooters will be allowed to shoot in the night match. However, they will allow people to observe as long as they have eye and ear protection.

Are you sure? Last I heard, the NM was a NO-GO for spectators not shooting

You could be right. With all the liability of shooting at night, it is possible. I have sent the match director an email requesting clarification. Thanks for the heads up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top