JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a used leather holster for my Colt Trooper since I didn't want to pay more than the gun was worth or took until next spring to custom make. Besides, a used one, if taken care of, would be broken in. While I've been looking and keeping an eye out for something I ran across the Midway web page. They had Galco leather holsters that weren't to badly priced and available to ship and listed to fit my gun, so I took a chance and ordered one.

It's nothing fancy but from appearances it would do until I found the holster I really would like to h ave for my Trooper. The gun fits ok, a little tight, but it's new leather and just needs some breaking in. What I did find that I'm not happy about though is that it is real rough on the inside. I mean almost like sandpaper when I run my hand down against the grain and then smoother when I bring my hand out with the grain. My Trooper is an older gun and not a show piece by any means, but I'm not sure I want to be putting it in the holster so it rubs against the gain every time I slide the gun in. I was thinking of using it for my Rugar Security Six 4" revolver since it would probably fit as well, but the Security is a very nice stainless steel gun and I don't want to use this holster with it.

There must be a way to soften up the inside, at least I hope there is. Can it be conditioned with some kind of leather treatment or can I take light sand paper and sand the inside to take down the grain? Or is that just the way these cheaper, unlined leather holsters are? Maybe I just need to buy a junker gun or a mold and spend a lot of time putting it in and taking it out so that it wears smooth after awhile?

Any suggestions on softening it up?

Thanks

Mike

I would first try some Mink Oil and/or Saddle Soap. You may have found the reason for the reduced price.

From Kramer FAQ. Pretty standard warning, I wouldn't be surprised if Galco has something similar.

WHAT TYPE OF CARE AND MAINTENANCE DOES MY HOLSTER REQUIRE?

An occasional application of KIWI neutral paste wax is the only routine maintenance we suggest for your holster. DO NOT apply oils or grease in an effort to soften the leather as it was specifically intended to be rigid. Every effort should be made to keep the mold intact. In other words, DO NOT crush and flex an empty holster.

Many moons ago, I developed a rather unhealthy addiction to Mitch Rosen holsters. Directly from the maker, came the recommendation to use a "break in" product called "Leather Lightning." Best holster accessory purchase ever! Also works great on knife and multi-tool sheaths.

Mitch Rosen purposely makes holsters super tight, and recommends Leather Lightning to get that holster to release the firearm without stretching it out in any way. Awesome too is that a little goes a loooong way. You work it into the interior of the holster with fingertips, and you can feel the bumps of the rough side smooth right out.

When you work your firearm in and out, you'll likely find that perfect balance of retention and smooth draw. I've used Ballistol in the past with success for this same purpose, but found that Leather Lightning goes on easier, no mess, and no stink.

I'm sold on Leather Lightning!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'll pass on the rubber cement (it never really dries out and I can see trying to pull my gun out and it snap back in from the rubber effect :D) and the pistol condom, well, I know we should all practice safe shooting, but that seems to be carrying it a bit far. :D

That's good information about not softening up the leather on molded holsters. It makes sense, although all I want to do is soften up the grain a bit. I'll half to look for the Leather Lightning and some Kiwi paste wax and see if that helps.

I ordered a different holster today that my gun should fit in and it's a used holster that looks in good shape so maybe it's already wore in a bit. And I'm if not, it only cost $35 on ebay. I should have went that route first rather than buying the new Galco holster first. Oh well, I'm sure this is why everyone has so many extra "gun stuff" laying around... it's never just right so we have to keep trying to find the right thing. :D

Mike

I would be VERY careful with anything that penetrates and softens the leather. Generally, softening a holster is a bad thing.

The below...I believe...are all silicone based lubricants designed for what I think you're looking for...

• Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning - I have used this. It's good stuff.

• I've heard really good things about this product but no practical experience...

• And then there's this which I've heard is good too

I found a good solution. I've bought a couple of used Hunter holsters that fit my 4" revolvers and they are broken in and semi soft and smooth on the inside. I also bought one for my 6" revolver and it's not as used as the others... in fact it looks like new old stock but it's still smoother and softer than the Galco holster. If I want leather I'll try the used route first from now on, at least with the cheaper Hunter holsters. I'll use some of the suggestions above to recondition the used holsters as they feel a little dry.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top