JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it wrong to leave negative trader rating for someone who calls dibs and wastes your time asking a millions of questions after they call dibs, questions that could of been answered if they just read my whole FS thread, then they drop off the face of the earth and stop responding to your PMs/Emails yet still post on the board??

I hate people that waste my time, it the one think I cant stand. People should not respond if they are not 100% interested and have the cash to put forward!

end-rant

Is it wrong to leave negative trader rating for someone who calls dibs and wastes your time asking a millions of questions after they call dibs, questions that could of been answered if they just read my whole FS thread, then they drop off the face of the earth and stop responding to your PMs/Emails yet still post on the board??

I hate people that waste my time, it the one think I cant stand. People should not respond if they are not 100% interested and have the cash to put forward!

end-rant

What does "dibs" mean to you...

if he posted "I'll take it" and then flaked, IMO it is a -1.....if it means he said "interested but have questions" then I dont think it deserves -1.

I consider it fair game to anyone until I get a firm "I'll take it" and preferable in the post so everyone can see it, that way there is nothing fishy behind the scene in PMs.

If I had an ad and someone called dibs and didn't post or PM anything soon after, and someone else posted an "I'll take it" and PM'd details right away, I'd sell to the "I'll take it person". If the person who called dibs really wanted it, then they should have said they'll take it.

Can't really say without more details. On one hand, if he called it and reneged, then yes, he/she deserves negative feedback. However, if he found out information that you didn't have in your ad that was pertinent to the sale, then no, they do not. Its subjective.

What does "dibs" mean to you...

if he posted "I'll take it" and then flaked, IMO it is a -1.....if it means he said "interested but have questions" then I dont think it deserves -1.

I consider it fair game to anyone until I get a firm "I'll take it" and preferable in the post so everyone can see it, that way there is nothing fishy behind the scene in PMs.

This is what I think 100%

Simple, fast, and transparent for all to see.

Oh yeah I ended up selling to the next guy interested after 24 hours of no response, but I just hate wasting my time!

FYI on what happened...
I dont remember his exact words in the post, dibs or take it.. but the first PM said I will take it but asked a few questions and tried to haggle on price.. Answered questions said price is solid take it or leave it. He responded with a few more questions, after a few more PMs it ended with with I will get back to you tonight after I get the cash.. Never got back to me and did not respond to my PMs.

If he at least had the guts to say I changed my mind and didnt want it I would be cool with that but he is just ignoring me and continuing to post on the board!

as read above sounds good.. if I got a solid take it the flake -1 if he was up in the air then nothing..

Oh yeah I ended up selling to the next guy interested after 24 hours of no response, but I just hate wasting my time!

FYI on what happened...
I dont remember his exact words in the post, dibs or take it.. but the first PM said I will take it but asked a few questions and tried to haggle on price.. Answered questions said price is solid take it or leave it. He responded with a few more questions, after a few more PMs it ended with with I will get back to you tonight after I get the cash.. Never got back to me and did not respond to my PMs.

If he at least had the guts to say I changed my mind and didnt want it I would be cool with that but he is just ignoring me and continuing to post on the board!

as read above sounds good.. if I got a solid take it the flake -1 if he was up in the air then nothing..

I wouldn't consider this a firm sale.

I would make people post "I'll take it" in the thread for all to see.

I've had people I don't know well say they want an item in PM. I tell them to go to the thread and post "I'll take it"

To me, if someone says "Dibs" or "I'll take it" the person has committed to buying it. Saying "I'll take it" and then trying to ask a series of questions or haggle is contradictory. Asking small questions about time and place to meet or address to ship after acceptance to help conclude the transaction are different from asking questions about the condition of the item(s), major terms of the sale, and haggling about price. This latter set of questions all undercut the acceptance of the seller's terms.

More than just wasting the seller's time, the bigger problem I see with someone posting "I'll take it" when they haven't really committed is that it has the effect of dissuading others from contacting the seller since it already appears to be sold.

If a person backs out, he better have a good reason, like the seller listed it as RH holster when it was a LH holster, the seller listed the firearm as chambered in a different caliber, represented a firearm came with accessories but it doesn't, the seller used a stock picture and the actual item is not the same one in the photo or in the same condition, etc. On the other hand, if he backs out because he changed his mind, that's a flake thing and giving the guy a -1 seems appropriate.

To me, if someone says "Dibs" or "I'll take it" the person has committed to buying it.

My feelings exactly.

Saying "I'll take it" and then trying to ask a series of questions or haggle is contradictory. Asking small questions about time and place to meet or address to ship after acceptance to help conclude the transaction are different from asking questions about the condition of the item(s), major terms of the sale, and haggling about price. This latter set of questions all undercut the acceptance of the seller's terms.

More than just wasting the seller's time, the bigger problem I see with someone posting "I'll take it" when they haven't really committed is that it has the effect of dissuading others from contacting the seller since it already appears to be sold.

If a person backs out, he better have a good reason, like the seller listed it as RH holster when it was a LH holster, the seller listed the firearm as chambered in a different caliber, represented a firearm came with accessories but it doesn't, the seller used a stock picture and the actual item is not the same one in the photo or in the same condition, etc. On the other hand, if he backs out because he changed his mind, that's a flake thing and giving the guy a -1 seems appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Again exactly my feeling as what he did was he screwed the seller and the other potential buyers. I personally would leave the guy a negative.

That is a good point I never though of, you list it for sale and the 2nd post of the thread says "taken" in some form that means its probably gone. If I see some form of "taken" as the second post I usually just move and I am sure most others do the same. So calling dibs and not accepting responsibility may really reduce the amount of potential buyers.

FYI on what happened...

Since he left the I'll take it or dibs in his PM and not on the thread, I don't think he dissuaded anyone else from pursuing it (obviously, since you sold it anyway). The way I handle that is that if someone says I'll take it and then proceeds to haggle and question and someone else makes an offer, I will contact the first person and let them know that while they have first right of refusal, someone else has made a firm offer. If they want it I need a firm response from them. If they say okay, I'll take it, and then welch, then negative feed back is in order. If they say, okay, sell it to the other guy, no harm no foul. I never post an item as SPF until firm agreements are made.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top