JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,

I am an active duty military member that just moved to the area and currently reside in Troutdale, OR. I am wondering if anyone knows of some places to go shooting either east towards mount hood or north/east of the Vancouver area. I am looking for a rock pit type of location. I just want to throw up some targets, teach the girlfriend how to shoot, and of course keep up my skills. Any suggestions, directions and help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

-Justin

Hello Sailordawg:

Troutdale is kind of a tough spot in terms of outdoor shooting. There is a spot near Cascade Locks that's legal for shooting. You go east on 84, take the Cascade Locks exit. Go through town to the east end where you can get back on 84 east, but don't get back on to 84. Instead of bearing left to enter the freeway, go straight then it bears left (east) and you will be on a frontage road on the south side of 84. Go about three miles to Herman Creek Rd. and turn right. About a quarter mile up on the left you will see a clearing and a brown gate. It will be locked, but you can park in a wide spot on Herman Creek road and walk up a bit of a hill and you will see the shooting area to your right. It's a nice spot even though you have to walk up a bit. I also called Hood River County Sherrif to double check the legality and they confirmed it's legal there.

-Michael
wedding photographers portland oregon, michael hacker photography

please provide directions from I-84 at Bridge of the Gods.

Regards

Head across the Bridge ($1.00 ) and once you reach Hwy 14 turn right, then at about 100 yds or so you turn left on to Ash Lake Rd. Follow Ash Lake Rd a mile or so and turn left (almost straight ahead actually) on Blue Lake Rd and go a couple miles. You'll see a large rock quarry, but keep going just a little farther. You'll see posted signs for a shooting range. The rifle range is on the right with the pistol range on the left. They have three or four shooting tables on the rifle range. The last time I was there they had a porta-potty and a garbage can so you can throw your trash away. Pretty cool.

Head across the Bridge ($1.00 ) and once you reach Hwy 14 turn right, then at about 100 yds or so you turn left on to Ash Lake Rd. Follow Ash Lake Rd a mile or so and turn left (almost straight ahead actually) on Blue Lake Rd and go a couple miles. You'll see a large rock quarry, but keep going just a little farther. You'll see posted signs for a shooting range. The rifle range is on the right with the pistol range on the left. They have three or four shooting tables on the rifle range. The last time I was there they had a porta-potty and a garbage can so you can throw your trash away. Pretty cool.
Due to County budget cuts the Range is being maintained primarily by local shooters. We are cleaning up the trash and regularly hauling it out on our dime. So if shooters could pick up any trash they bring (targets & shells) it would be greatly appreciated. The range is open to the public but like the old Stevenson Range it is in jeopardy of being closed due to vandalism and trash being left behind by shooters.

The 100 yard range now has 6 benches and a beefy picnic table. It also has a couple large cable spools for reloading tables (not target stands) and a few trash cans (not targets). The pistol range is separate; it has 2 benches (one is covered with a roof) and a spool for reloading if it hasn’t been shot to pieces. There is no port-o-potty at the range so you will need to hit the brush if you gotta go. Have Fun, be safe, and keep it clean!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the excellent directions and I also appreciate area that's not trashed too. I go to a gravel storage pit 3 miles away. 100 yard distance and distance markers between. Its funky but I'm the only one who maintains the large target and cleanup.

I - 5 @ Curtin exit 263. Turn right go through what is now essentially the ghost town of Curtin. Turn right on Cemetery Road just past the shut down Curtis store. Travel 1.3 miles and turn left onto the first gravel road. BLM 21-4-7.0
Travel approx. 1.5 miles passing other turnoff roads until you get to a fork in the road. Then left for approx. 1 mile at this road fork turn left and approx. 1/4 mile you will be at the gravel storage area.

I never had any problems with the locals there and it hardly gets used as Curtis has essentially closed down. No gas and no food.

Good luck shoot safe and have fun

Regards. Mike

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews