JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted a while back on the rehab I'm working on with my new-to-me inherited Winchester 94AE, I also got a Mossberg 500A at the same time, which had been equally neglected.

The barrel was very rusty, and the receiver has a lot of the anodizing worn off on one side. I stripped all the blueing off the gun with white vinegar, and reblued using Birchwood Casey cold blue as a temporary finish. I'm seriously thinking that when funds allow, to replace the barrel and magazine tube completely. The mag tube actually hadn't rusted on this gun, but the barrel was a mess. Brownells has 20" cylinder bore barrels equipped with rifle style sights for $200 & change. Comes with full length mag tube which would bump capacity up to 8+1.

The trigger group housing had some rust issues too, I think I want to replace it. They offer all-metal (which I like) or the plastic-housing which is what the gun currently has roughly the same price - I think I may go with the all metal version if / when I replace it.

The safety is very hard to work - rust issues there too I'm sure. Brownell's has an all metal replacement that's not terribly expensive, I think I'm going to go that route.

The last change i want to make, is wooden furniture. I like tactical shotguns as much as the next guy, but I've never owned a wood stocked shotgun yet - and I think walnut or birch furniture would look pretty spiffy on this gun. I think I'm going do a duracoat or similiar finish on the receiver in matte black which will look great with a new blued barrel and wood stocks.

We're going over to my MIL's house tomorrow, I've got more guns to bring home and check out. One may be a lost cause, hopefully the others aren't...

Huh, too bad.... I have an extra standard mag tube, and a polymer stock. Also an extra pistol grip. Oh well.

I put one of the recoil absorbing stocks on my Mossy, with a tactical pistol grip, I really like shooting it in 3-gun.

Huh, too bad.... I have an extra standard mag tube, and a polymer stock. Also an extra pistol grip. Oh well.

I put one of the recoil absorbing stocks on my Mossy, with a tactical pistol grip, I really like shooting it in 3-gun.

One of the other shotguns that's waiting at my mother in law's place is either a Rem 870 or maybe a Mossberg 590? The receiver was badly rusted, so I'm pretty sure it's not a 500. It has a tactical stock w/ pistol grip, and a vent rib barrel. I brought home a hand guard that I'm not sure if it goes to the other gun, or is somehow compatible with the 500 - it's certainly a shotgun foregrip, but there's no place for the action bars to attach. I'm a bit confused by it, honestly. This is my first Mossberg - I've owned Remingtons and Benellis and a Stevens in the past.

One of the other shotguns that's waiting at my mother in law's place is either a Rem 870 or maybe a Mossberg 590? The receiver was badly rusted, so I'm pretty sure it's not a 500. It has a tactical stock w/ pistol grip, and a vent rib barrel. I brought home a hand guard that I'm not sure if it goes to the other gun, or is somehow compatible with the 500 - it's certainly a shotgun foregrip, but there's no place for the action bars to attach. I'm a bit confused by it, honestly. This is my first Mossberg - I've owned Remingtons and Benellis and a Stevens in the past.

Years ago I bought my worthless grandson a 590. Not sure if there is any interchangeability with 500 parts.

An 870 would be a good one too. I like both really. I was always partial to Remmies for my hunting.

Years ago I bought my worthless grandson a 590. Not sure if there is any interchangeability with 500 parts.

An 870 would be a good one too. I like both really.

I'm not up to speed on all the mossberg shotguns - I've owned a Mossberg rimfire 22 before that was a good gun. I'm not sure the big differences between the 590 and the 500. The 500 is similar enough to the Remington in function and overall design I didn't have much problem field stripping the gun and getting it all back together and functional.

I'm not up to speed on all the mossberg shotguns - I've owned a Mossberg rimfire 22 before that was a good gun. I'm not sure the big differences between the 590 and the 500. The 500 is similar enough to the Remington in function and overall design I didn't have much problem field stripping the gun and getting it all back together and functional.

I've kept the polymer foregrip on my tactical Mossy. Bought an old 500 to give to a different grandson... had wood furniture and a standard Mossberg 26" barrel with the old Polychoke adjustable choke on it... no rib, looks like a klunge but shoots nice. Been keeping the 28" modern ventrib barrel, off the one I converted, to give to him, it fits just fine!

I kind of like that idea, but can you parkerize aluminum?

I don't think so, but you can anodize it. You would have to ask someone more knowledgeable to know if you could get the aluminum anodized such that it would match whatever parkerizing you use on the steel parts. I would guess that between the parkerizing and all the colors of anodizing available (a lot wider choice than parkerizing) that you could get both to look the same. I think some models came that way from the factory. I think it would be best to coordinate with the shop doing the anodizing and the person doing the parkerizing. You can do the parkerizing yourself or you can have someone do it, but the anodizing would probably require you have a shop do it for you.

There are probably some parts that are shared between the 590 and 500, but I think the barrel and mag tube are different from my looking at a 500 and 590. They might still interchange though - I haven't tried it. I know the 590 barrel is thicker and the mag tube hanger and end cap are different.

I don't think so, but you can anodize it. You would have to ask someone more knowledgeable to know if you could get the aluminum anodized such that it would match whatever parkerizing you use on the steel parts. I would guess that between the parkerizing and all the colors of anodizing available (a lot wider choice than parkerizing) that you could get both to look the same. I think some models came that way from the factory. I think it would be best to coordinate with the shop doing the anodizing and the person doing the parkerizing. You can do the parkerizing yourself or you can have someone do it, but the anodizing would probably require you have a shop do it for you.

Yeah, anodizing is limitless in color options. A lot of high end fly reels come with anodizing that is done in intricate, photorealistic prints now. Color matching parkerizing should not be a problem. Or I can get it re-anodized in black, then shoot it with duracoat or cerakote to match. Or even Krylon or Rust-o-leum if I want to do it on the cheap. The spray paint would actually mimic the texture as well as the color.

Brought the 2nd shotgun home - after taking a bit closer look at it, I *think* its an 870. Going by the general receiver shape + trigger guard shape. There is literally no visible markings on the receiver. :oops:

wBnDNQo.jpg

xrPWe4W.jpg

zV4x7sd.jpg

I haven't vinegar soaked this one yet to remove the rust. There's no bolt in this one. Not even sure it's going to be worth much effort to do anything to. May try salvaging the stock and shell carrier - if it will work on the 500, that'd be cool.

Oooh, that's pretty rusted out :(

870 is a good guess with that safety, but when you remove the shell carrier you'll see more.