JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
City
Salem
State
Oregon
Looking for the bolt assembly for a JC Higgins model 51-L chambered in 30-06. Please let me know if you are parting out an old rifle or you know a guy who knows a guy.

I saw a model 50, 583.98, bolt up for bid on Ebay, but I'm not sure it is compatible.

Thank you for your time and help.

Marsh

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
The J. C. Higgins Model 51L (Sears product numbers 583.5100 - 583.5103) were assembled using Husqvarna actions after 1959.

I had one and regret selling it. Here's a good write up about these imported rifles. Warne Rings makes a great set of scope rings for these models.

More info.

The model 51 and 51L are built on the Husqvarna (HVA) 1640 action.

I did replace the trigger with a Timney Sportsman, easy swap and adjustable, but should have replaced the rear safety switch for a side switch.
I never did like the loud clunk sound it made when rotating.
I've seen more the a few vintage hunting rifles missing their bolts, as it was a way to keep children from having accidents and the bolts were lost when Gramps passed away.

Last Edited:
The J. C. Higgins Model 51L (Sears product numbers 583.5100 - 583.5103) were assembled using Husqvarna actions after 1959.

I had one and regret selling it. Here's a good write up about these imported rifles. Warne Rings makes a great set of scope rings for these models.

I found additional context on Numrich. Looks like any FN bolt will work with a barrel numbered 583.xxxx. Headspace MIGHT be an issue though.

So, Im learning and I'm completely wrong on "Looks like any FN bolt will work with a barrel numbered 583.xxxx."

I tried to save money by purchasing a bolt from a model 583.98 FN Commercial and the shroud hits the safety switch. Therefore, the bolt is not compatible.

Husqvarna 1640 action is the only compatible action as far as I'm aware and just like jbett98 explained above.

I found the Husqvarna 1640 complete bolt assembly on Gunbroker. Simple drop in. Head space is a go. Grandpa's rifle is back to operating condition.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top