JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
  2. Want to Trade For
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Monmouth
State
Oregon
My grandfather died and in his will he asked for his ashes to be turned into rounds for his favorite firearm. I am hoping to find 160 357 maximag brass casings. I have the rest of the components but am having a hard time finding the brass. I know this would mean a lot to my father and uncle. If anyone has any they are willing to part with I would love to make a deal.

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
I assume that there may be a firearm (or 2) from your grandfather's estate? On the side of the firearm are there any markings for the caliber?

It appears that a 357 Maximum was a revolver:

Read:

Kevin Baker
Electrical Engineer (1996–present)Author has 4K answers and 9.8M answer views7y

Jupiter Obscura is correct, but there's generally one other difference. Because the .357 Maximum operates at significantly higher pressure than the .357 Magnum, the hot gasses that escape between the barrel and cylinder on the .357 Maximum have a tendency to flame-cut the top strap of the revolver frame. This is true for pretty much any revolver, but at the pressures the Maximum operates at (and for that matter, the .460 and .500 Smith & Wessons) it became significant. For this reason, manufacturers added a small strip of much harder material over the barrel/cylinder gap to reduce the damage. Early models won't have this extra piece of sacrificial metal.

main-qimg-a838d1cffb97ccd302404432b02c637f-lq.jpg

I assume that there may be a firearm (or 2) from your grandfather's estate? On the side of the firearm are there any markings for the caliber?

It appears that a 357 Maximum was a revolver:

Read:

Kevin Baker
Electrical Engineer (1996–present)Author has 4K answers and 9.8M answer views7y

Jupiter Obscura is correct, but there's generally one other difference. Because the .357 Maximum operates at significantly higher pressure than the .357 Magnum, the hot gasses that escape between the barrel and cylinder on the .357 Maximum have a tendency to flame-cut the top strap of the revolver frame. This is true for pretty much any revolver, but at the pressures the Maximum operates at (and for that matter, the .460 and .500 Smith & Wessons) it became significant. For this reason, manufacturers added a small strip of much harder material over the barrel/cylinder gap to reduce the damage. Early models won't have this extra piece of sacrificial metal.

View attachment 1367171
I know the gun would have the markings, I just don't have access to it. Thank you for the info.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.