JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
im lookin at pickin up a hk uspc 40sw and i reload, the hk's have a polygonal rifled barrel and im wondering if they will have problems shooting hardcast lead and molle coated hardcast lead bullets? any info would be greatly appreciated

Yes, they do not recommend shooting lead at all through them. Get a Jarvis or other barrel if you want to shoot lead.

Says who? I know glock says that, but never seen HK. I put 14000 rounds of lead through my 40 usp in the first two years I owned it. From my post on another forum.

spent a day researching this as best i can on the web. The problem seems to have 4 things in common.

Reloads, lead ,accurate number 5 from the mid nineties and finally Polygonal barrels, Glock has a 5 one i will get to

Lets take the first three separately then together.

reloads. Nearly every shooter who has reloaded or has bought reloaded ammo has had a bad batch or round. The failure rate for reloads is much much higher than factory ammo. That is more things can go wrong cracked case, excess pressure, to much powder, firing out of battery because of bad case sizing. A multitude of things factory ammo would weed out.

Lead, soft or hard cast. It is lead, it will foul. The question is can you foul enough to spike pressures to cause a gun to fail. The answer is probably not with loads in middle of the pressure ranges. The reason being lead ammo will deposit new fouling while scrubbing old. There is always a point of diminishing returns in new deposits. Where the deposits will matter is when you have over charged or double charged the powder. With pressures already spiked it is probable that the lead bullet in a heavily fouled barrel will spike it more. The direct answer to this is. The original testing that glocks and hk usps went through. both guns had extensive testing of over 10000 rounds fired with out cleaning. 10000 rounds of copper jacked bullets will create just as much fouling as 2 mags of lead. both glock and hk guns passed these tests with flying colors. That makes it unlikely that lead bullets are the cause or at the very worse the sole cause of the issue.

Accurate number 5 from early nineties. Most if not All of the HK failures can be traced to accurate number 5 and poor reloading info for it. Combine that with the large amounts of it that were sold to bulk re-loaders, and you start to see some of the issues. Accurate number 5 from the early nineties was a very fast burring powder. In guns like 40sw which was designed as a +P caliber to begin with you can imagine a re-loader easily loading a bullet past the capabilities of the firearm. If the ammo is reloaded to +p levels using accurate number five it is feasible that the better gas seal of the polygonal barrels will increase the pressure past the safe level. This is some what proven by several of the guns having failed with reloaded jacketed hollow points. The single common factor in those was Accurate number 5.

The difference between the HK failures and the Glock. The major difference is how they hold the case. HK barrels fully seat to the case neck this usually ruptures the pistol grip down the middle. blowing out the primer. Glock barrels of g1 seem to only seat 3/4 of the case neck, allowing the case to blow out that final 1/4 ruining the frame and mag in a different way. Many of the glocks may have failed out of battery. I could not find proof of that though, as no thread included photo's of the primer being struck out of battery. So i must conclude that the cases were fully seated and fired in battery. Given that I must once again look at the issue of what caused the pressure spike to make the cases fail. BTW 9mm,40,45acp all failed in both glock and hk. The only common theme besides polygonal barrels was the report of accurate number 5, or a powder of the same shape and size with same colored and shaped filler.

My conclusion is, that Hand loads and machine made commercial reloads containing accurate number 5 from the early 90's are to blame. That the fast burning powder combined with the better gas seal of the polygonal barrel pushed pressure higher.

my two cents in a world of 40 dollar bills.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top