JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally reached the northern peak of the mtn ridge I have been hiking for sometime. Found this trash way up here at 5800ft level. Any idea when Coke used this style of can?

This mtn was logged many decades ago and I am guessing the loggers left this behind.

20220530_133916.jpg

20220530_133925.jpg

20220530_123159.jpg

Also found this little critter.

20220530_122431.jpg

The bears and mtn lions are living to stalk another day.

The "church-key" with can piercer ruled from the mid-1930s until the mid-1960s.
Then the pull-tab was all the rage in the mid-60s through the mid-70s, when the stay-on tab was debuted in 1975.
It would be about a decade before the "stay-tab" device currently seen on drink cans came into vogue in the mid-80s.

Given the labeling of the container you found, @Flopsweat's image above with 1967 as the debut year for that design, and the fact that pop cans went to stay-tabs in 1975, I would posit that your archeological find dates from 1967 to 1975. Radiocarbon dating* may be required to fix the date precisely... :D

Source: Wikipedia - Drink can

* For the nerds in the group, yes, I am well aware that radiocarbon dating requires the presence of organic material to be of use in determining the age to an object, and that it is unlikely that any such material exists in a can that has been sitting on a hillside for the past 45+ years. But I thought it was a funny close to my comment. Hence, the :D

Last Edited:
Then the pull-tab was all the rage in the mid-60s through the mid-70s, when the stay-on tab was debuted in 1975.
The pull tab was the right size to gap the points on my Yamaha.

Ed Hertfelter wrote in his Duct Tapes column that you could use a dime to set your sparkplug gap. One guy complained that his bike still wouldn't start. When questioned he said he didn't have a dime so he used 2 nickles. Ah the good old days. :D:p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top