JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These zero tolerance policies have little to do with fear of lawsuits. They have everything to do with local elected schoolboards and administrators who want to LOOK like they are "Doing something" about perceived problems that the parents whine about.

When I was in school we had a crime rate that was nearly DOUBLE what it is today, including the occasional stabbing or shooting in schools.

But it wasn't until the baby boomers and the next generation grew up and insisted that their little darlings be exposed to ZERO negative ANYTHING, that these policies emerged.

Yet another reason to hate the boomers.

As a baby boomer myself I deeply resent your statement. That is not an accurate portrayal of the demographic anyway.

What's really going on here is the result of affirmative action. I've seen it first hand in the work place for the last 30 years. People are appointed or hired to positions in order to fill unstated quotas ("We value diversity!") or because they've put in enough time that refusing them that promotion would result in a lawsuit. Because they aren't qualified for their new role, they don't know how to make decisions based on experience and knowledge. In order to avoid being criticized for making bad decisions, they devise ways not to make any decisions at all. Thus, we have "zero tolerance". If they never have to do anything but follow a flow chart in their decision making, never have to exercise any judgement they can't be faulted for those decisions. It's the same with the term "best practices". If they do only what everyone else is doing, rather than improving a process or inventing a new one they can't be faulted if the process fails. No risk, no liability.

This is amplified when the person is a female. Psychologically, females have evolved over the existence of mankind to work together cooperatively. Female group dynamics requires consensus. "What's right is what we agree is right." No individual is allowed to stand out, to innovate, to bend the rules. Men, on the other hand, have evolved to make and execute plans. Bands of male hunters followed an acknowledged leader, who assigned every hunter a role in the hunt. If things went awry the individual was expected to improvise and still work to attain the team goal. Men have become experienced at respecting the limits of various types of combat in various settings over the course of thousands of generations. They know when to gracefully accept victory and let an opponent go lick his wounds. Women do not have the benefit of that evolution. Women in competition with men today in business and elsewhere do not understand when they have pushed an opponent too far and that they are now playing an entirely different and sometimes lethal game than the one they started playing.

This post will likely be censored, and if so, I apologize to the admins for being unable to resist telling the truth as I see it. It and I will most assuredly be criticized. But the truth is the truth, and I can't avoid finally stating it. Nowhere is this affirmative action syndrome more active than in the education community. Couple that with the fact that an education major these days is the last resort of those who can't perform in any other field, and you have a school system run in large part by ignorant, lazy, illogical, and just plain stupid people. I finished my psychology degree about 20 years ago. As a psychology major, many of my classes were populated with education majors. These people were uniformly "sack of hammers" dumb. They were the people who always wanted to know if "this" will be on the test. In other words, "Can I avoid memorizing this item." They wanted rules for everything, and couldn't improvise their way to their cars in the parking lot. These are the people who are educating and babysitting our kids all day long. If you have the temerity to point out their own stupidity to them you get that condescending, pitying fake smile and a reply that indicates that you really couldn't possibly understand the good and logical reasons for the way the rules are.

I've usually been very unpopular at my kids' schools because I won't tolerate the foregoing. I played a significant part in the removal of a fascist high school principal recently. More people need to stand up to the bullying, and just say "No!".

Affirmative action has been the cause of more disruption of our nation than perhaps any other program, and has created an entitlement mentality that has in no way actually helped the target audience except to give them steady pay that many of them do not deserve. It has severely harmed our progress as a result

Uh, he's not being asked to change his name, but being asked to change how he signs his name, at the school, in sign language, because apparently his way of doing it looks like a gun motion. OK. Still seems ridiculous, and I predict this will blow over because some idiot school official made a bad decision. Trivial local idiocy of no interest.

BTW: The ACLU is championing the boy's rights here. Haven't seen the NRA come out on this yet. I'm sure they will.... Pretty sure anyway. Wouldn't it be funny if the ACLU trumped the NRA on this?

Uh, he's not being asked to change his name, but being asked to change how he signs his name, at the school, in sign language, because apparently his way of doing it looks like a gun motion. OK. Still seems ridiculous, and I predict this will blow over because some idiot school official made a bad decision. Trivial local idiocy of no interest.

BTW: The ACLU is championing the boy's rights here. Haven't seen the NRA come out on this yet. I'm sure they will.... Pretty sure anyway. Wouldn't it be funny if the ACLU trumped the NRA on this?

The NRA is a single issue association: Second Amendment rights. Someone's name has nothing to do with owning a gun, therefor they won't intercede.

The NRA is a single issue association: Second Amendment rights. Someone's name has nothing to do with owning a gun, therefor they won't intercede.

They sort of have help spread the word:
NRA-ILA | Outrage of the Week: School District Forces Deaf Preschooler Named Hunter to Change Name Sign
<broken link removed>

Just by having it in the Grassroots Alert they had a big part in the massive response from the Second Amendment crowd. You don't necessarily need a lawsuit or money to help.
Spreading the word was all that was needed.

They sort of have help spread the word:
NRA-ILA | Outrage of the Week: School District Forces Deaf Preschooler Named Hunter to Change Name Sign
<broken link removed>

Just by having it in the Grassroots Alert they had a big part in the massive response from the Second Amendment crowd. You don't necessarily need a lawsuit or money to help.
Spreading the word was all that was needed.
True, they will help get the word out but not intercede (take it to court) as I said.

"Hunter" is a word in American sign language. People generally use the sign for the word that corresponds to their name, and modify it slightly (e.g. crossed fingers) to indicate that it's a proper noun. He really can't change it in a way that will make it inoffensive and still convey his name. My advice to the school officials is GET OVER IT, NUMBSKULLS!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top