JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought on of them a bit more than a week ago. Shot it for the first time yesterday. While it looks and feels like a 1911, the trigger definitely needs work as sometimes it is light and other times doesn't seem to want to drop the hammer. Sight are nice and square, except for being made of aluminum and shoot about 6" low at 50 feet, they are ok. need to replace or fix.

Other than those complaints, the gun shot first time, every time. I had my doubts that would happen as the magazine held 12 rounds in what looked to be a clumsy staggered formation, which looked at first like jam-o-matic. However, no problems feeding or extracting.

Oh, one more complaint. It might be that Federal bulk HP ammo is something this pistol doesn't like (all of my other guns love it), but it was one of the first full sized .22's I have ever owned that produced lousy groups using it.

I hope a bit more shooting, a sight fix and general breaking in (although I shot about 250 rounds thru it yesterday) will make it a good practice gun to save $ on ammo for my Kimber which will make groups touching holes at the same distance all day long.

Bottom line: It was a disappointment out of the box. My MK2 Ruger, which I have owned for over 25 years and looks like hell due to a couple bouts with moisture (rust), will kick it's *** on the dueling tree. Will report back if I can get it fixed or not.

Needless to say, I am not happy with today's out of the box Colts, regardless of who makes them. The last one I bought before this was a series 80 SS Gold Cup which, from a rest, wouldn't group good enough to put all rounds on 9" paper plate at 25 yards using a rest. I once had a series 70 that would do 2" groups at 50 yds using wad cutters. Such a disappointment in the modern guns they make. Hope you all have better luck.

The Colt is made by Umarex not GSG, you should've bought the GSG. The Colt M4-22 is made by Umarex as well and is a hit and miss also.

Hope you all have better luck.
I think it's the luck of the draw. I traded a Combat Commander and a $100.00 for a LNIB Series 70 Gold Cup in 1987 (aging myself) and I should have kept the Commander. The GC shot into one hole at 25 yards - when it would stay running. It was a jamming, stovepiping POS. Looking back I now realize it probably needed some serious tuning. My current Plain Jane 1991 A1 will do 2" groups offhand at 25 yards - and a little better bench rested - like real close to 1.5" - and it has had only minor tuning and a few small upgrades.

Deadeye, actually the Colt is made by Walther and distributed by Umarex. Umarex is a distributor, not a manufacturer. Umarex is a marketer of various manufacturers - mostly air and paintball guns. I may have been mistake about calling my gun a GSG, as that was what it was called by a dealer here (on NWF). Did a search on both since your reply and they both have problems. Buyer beware. Regardless, I was once a licensed gunsmith and mold maker. If I can't make it shoot (straight), no one can.

Btw, I gave up the ffl shortly after Cliton (not misspelled) and the dems passed the so-called assault weapons ban that was more of an assault on ffl holders.

RVTech, The series 70 gold cup I had never malfunctioned ad probably predated yours by 5 or more years. I took a chance on the Walter made 1911-22 distributed by Umerex like I do with every gun I buy. Can't all be winners. Some can be made to be winners. We'll see. First task is to fix or replace the rear sight which puts bullets 6" low at 50 feet. Then go from there. If I can't make it at least close to as accurate as my Ruger mk 2, it will just be chalked up to history.

I have been unemployed for over 3 years so the collection is paying for the new stuff as well as paying the bills, as it has in all tough times. Much better than money in a bank. Get to use it along the way and usually get a better return on $ invested. Not always, but mostly.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews