JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rifle in question is a Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) in .308WIN.

I took the factory muzzle brake off as brakes/compensators can detrimentally affect other competitors on the line. Plus, I had to double-up on hearing protection with both foamies and muffs. Unfortunately, removing the brake has hurt accuracy so it's looking like it might need to be reinstalled.

The rifle will always be used for single-load slow fire so neither muzzle recovery nor felt recoil are issues. Only issues are barrel harmonics and group size.

Anyone else have experience along these lines? Could a heavy flash hider be used instead with the same positive effect? Are flash suppressors in general a risk to accuracy?

I use a PA EFAB muzzle thingy on my Ruger SR762.
Seems to do a good job at recoil control and isn't obnoxious.

Chance of impact ≠ inaccurate

If it is shooting all over the place after removing it, you might have damaged the crown while removing it. However even with crown damage, most rifles still shoot fairly consistent.

If you didn't like the brake, consider just a thread protector or a flash hider. Then re-zero with whatever you choose.

When I had my RPR in .308 I did the same thing. And accuracy suffered. Unfortunately it was never all that accurate to begin with.

When I had my RPR in .308 I did the same thing. And accuracy suffered. Unfortunately it was never all that accurate to begin with.
Thanks for all of the input. So far Kruel's experience is my experience too. The thread protector doesn't fit well as it's longer that the threads so it extends out 3/16" past the crown. I've ordered a flashhider. Still have the seating depth phase to do for the 175 SMKs which will be completed once the flashhider arrives.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top