JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There seem to be a lot of USB mini cameras around at the moment, very cheap, modest quality etc, i keep seeing one advertised called SpySnake, connects to your phone.

I wondered if anyone had tried them?

Here are many on Amazon right now.
<broken link removed>

Oh man, that's terrible! I've had a few endoscopy's before, but that sounds prolonged and nasty :(

So i'm guessing anything 720p or higher with as close a focus distance possible would be good for bore checks? The price of a lot of these is very cheap to take a gamble on.

I have two USB cameras, one for small bores, one for magnums. You hafta remember that the image is from a fish eye lens, and so there is distortion. Still, you can see pretty well, like some chambers are reamed roughly and you can see coarse tool marks, etc.
When you consider that there's only 4 mils between the lands and groves, it ain't much to look at.
The places I focus on are the chamber/throat and muzzle.

{edit to add}
What I found out is that not all Android systems will support USB cameras, whether it's the software or the USB port doesn't provide enough power. Of the cameras I have, all of them will work on my Galaxy Note 10, and another tablet too, and none on my phone.
You're on the west side, if you want to borrow them, just PM me.

I have a ProTool scope for cars that I'll shove in the chamber and get a look. Does a good job for what it cost. Doubles as an extra eye when I'm wrenching.

I found once a piece of copper marring my cases that was stuck on the shoulder seating area. Was able to remove it after finding it.

But I don't scope the barrel, a few passes with a bore snake and you can see almost any imperfection.

F2cMaDMaXX: Thank you. Site booked marked. Yep ... will a 5 mm scope fit down a 5.56 bore? Probably will not fit down a .22rf bore? Dunno fur sures. The word endoscopy always leaves a bad taste in my mouth if they get employed bottom then top instead of top then bottom. A lowly distasteful RN joke. :)

I like this idea. I look at the occasional Yugo SKS the barrels are not lined usually and trying to check them is iffy, this would be a great idea. Wonder if they make some shorter these look long will keep looking... Thanks.

Yeah, i still can't pull the trigger on a specific one just yet, let me know if you find a stand out one.

Could be one time fun.
You'll have a tough time shoving most of those down a barrel though.
On befitting Me;
Say you did, now that you know, whatcha gonna do about it? Other than a good cleaning and maybe fire lap or maybe a little polishing here and there.
I'm a hobbyist at best so see no value, and so far have done a pretty good job of identifying dirty or rusty barrels, rough breaches and worn groves by looking from one end into a softly lighted barrel.
Nonetheless, If I was to get one, it would be a stand alone package. Monitor, program and all, not reliant on computer or phone.. Over many decades, I have had my fill of hardware now useless because the last computer upgrades wont accept the drivers and worse yet the utilities to make it sweet.
As a professional smith, trader, competition shooter? Maybe.
In my case, what I don't already know about my guns, I'm not likely to be personably able to do anything about it anyway.

I have the flexible Teslong that connects to a USB port of anything really but works very well with Windows 10.
Yes I know some of you still rock Windows 85 aka DOS but what you get with Win 10 is device compatibility built in. I grabbed the oldest laptop in the house, installed Win 10 on it and now my teslong borescope has a bright screen that sits above my cleaning bench.

I have one of the Lyman borescopes as well which serves it's purpose as it can take and store photos. If someone wants that, let me know.

So back to the teslong... They make wireless models, models with displays, just about anything. If I wanted to use one at the range or anywhere I wouldn't use a laptop, I could get one of those I guess.

The big reason I want a bore scope is for cleaning so I'm very interested in the chamber, throat, and lands.
The flexible one works in my M1a & AK 47, where one of the fixed rods wouldn't work. Yes you can go in from the muzzle but they aren't typically long enough.

So my advice is get the simplest one provided you have a display capable device with a functioning USB port.

@The Heretic, the one you are asking about is the exact one I have and I swear by it provided you have a device with a display that supports USB.

There are models with other features that might appeal to some.

Be prepared for observing things that are less than perfect. You will see fire cracking, tool marks, lint, possibly pitting, maybe some rust. Here's some advice. fix what you can and remember that gun barrels are considered consumable with a finite amount of usage built in. Let the target count for as much as possible.

22 rimfire barrels can really benefit from bore scoping if they have started to built up lead. Normally you let a 22 barrel go and focus on a little carbon removal here and there. If you shoot unlubed bullets, you can get a ring started and that will only get worse. If you see an obstruction like that, you can focus on removing it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top